2023 draft prospects and college football talk.

ripsean21

1 hour ago, e16bball said:

It’s crazy to me that I keep hearing about Hendon Hooker to us.

It’s one thing if I could just chalk it up to a smoke screen to try to lure one of these teams in the 1st that might be looking for a future QB option to move up. But Keim keeps saying they’re not really looking at him in the 1st, moreso at #47. 

Which means we’d be taking a 25-year-old QB coming off a major injury that the rest of the league (and ourselves!) decided to pass on. None of that ever works out. Ever.

Rivera:

8c61c1ac-aef3-4a9f-ac06-2415d24dfdb3_tex

It would be so Rivera. Does he have parents in the military? He must. 😂 

1 hour ago, e16bball said:

It’s crazy to me that I keep hearing about Hendon Hooker to us.

It’s one thing if I could just chalk it up to a smoke screen to try to lure one of these teams in the 1st that might be looking for a future QB option to move up. But Keim keeps saying they’re not really looking at him in the 1st, moreso at #47. 

Which means we’d be taking a 25-year-old QB coming off a major injury that the rest of the league (and ourselves!) decided to pass on. None of that ever works out. Ever.

Rivera:

8c61c1ac-aef3-4a9f-ac06-2415d24dfdb3_tex

His stock is soaring... for whatever reason. I'm not too worried unless they trade up/down for him. I don't think he lasts until #47

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, taylor made said:

His stock is soaring... for whatever reason. I'm not too worried unless they trade up/down for him. I don't think he lasts until #47

Taking him at 16 seems like malpractice to me. He’s 25 & coming off a torn ACL & while he’s good, he didn’t really flash greatness & he's 25! 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Taking him at 16 seems like malpractice to me. He’s 25 & coming off a torn ACL & while he’s good, he didn’t really flash greatness & he's 25! 

Heavily linked to the Vikings at pick 23 and rumors of him being #3/4 QB on some big boards. IDK, I don't get it either. It's lying season so who knows.

2 hours ago, taylor made said:

Heavily linked to the Vikings at pick 23 and rumors of him being #3/4 QB on some big boards. IDK, I don't get it either. It's lying season so who knows.

I think he’s the 5th but, his ACL must look good in private work outs & if that’s not a concern then I could understand a late first pick. The issue is still his age, but I’m sure he’s very knowledgeable, engaging and mature in part bc of his age.

I’ve heard the same about the Vikings, but I don’t understand why they’d want to take a 25 year old QB. You’d think you’d want to draft someone younger to draft and develop behind Kirk until they move on from him.

Edited by turtle28

This guy Deonte banks is growing on me. Looked the 2023 NFL combine and some of his highlights last night and was really impress with Banks. Like his fluidity. Good tackler, plays the run well and good speed. I think the question with all of these CB is can they be taught to play in a heavey zone scheme.  Good coaching can do itDel Rio likes playing zone  that can sometime look like a man zone man coverage a  hybrid zone etc . I don't know exactly what it is called but he surely likes it. Banks is a nice trade down canidate for me. 

• Like 3

15 hours ago, turtle28 said:

I think he’s the 5th but, his ACL must look good in private work outs & if that’s not a concern then I could understand a late first pick. The issue is still his age, but I’m sure he’s very knowledgeable, engaging and mature in part bc of his age.

I’ve heard the same about the Vikings, but I don’t understand why they’d want to take a 25 year old QB. You’d think you’d want to draft someone younger to draft and develop behind Kirk until they move on from him.

Yeah, I can definitely see someone trading back into the 1st to grab him. Probably Houston, I’d wager, since they’re apparently going to pass on the top 4. They could pop back in from 33, either to BAL at 22 (to jump MIN, if they’re buying that smoke) for a 3rd or to someone like CIN at 28 for a 4th.

Feels like that extra year of control might be of additional  importance when you’re dealing with a QB who likely won’t be able to play for most of his rookie year.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, turtle28 said:

This doesn’t really change our depth situation at DE. We still have Obada, JSW, Toohill & WBK. How much depth do you need?

well sweat, young, obada, JSW, Toohill all have 1yr left and toney suspended. Hmm I think DE should be addressed at some point. Now I understand your thinking some of the aforemention players can be signed but sweat and young situation can be differcult. Now for me if a DE of value (BPA) is there in the later rds I'm pulling the trigger. If not then I'm moving on. 

49 minutes ago, 4209 said:

This guy Deonte banks is growing on me. Looked the 2023 NFL combine and some of his highlights last night and was really impress with Banks. Like his fluidity. Good tackler, plays the run well and good speed. I think the question with all of these CB is can they be taught to play in a heavey zone scheme.  Good coaching can do itDel Rio likes playing zone  that can sometime look like a man zone man coverage a  hybrid zone etc . I don't know exactly what it is called but he surely likes it. Banks is a nice trade down canidate for me. 

My belief is that he'll be the pick at #16 by Rivera and company even over Joey Porter, Jr. I don't think Rivera believes we have a true #1 CB on the roster and he's locked onto the position just like last year with WR. Benjamin St. Juste has improved but he can't stay healthy and relied on.

Deonte's stock has risen where he is a legit first rounder. He's a 4 year Senior player which we know this regime likes. And he has an elite RAS- athletic ability. He's a relatively local kid from Baltimore, MD. 

And I'm a fan too. He's not as good as some of the offensive line picks like Broderick Jones or Darnell Wright but I think he belongs right in the discussion with Christian Rodriguez and Devon Witherspoon as the top CB. I think he's better than Joey Porter, Jr. He'll be in that B draft grade range from me. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, 4209 said:

well sweat, young, obada, JSW, Toohill all have 1yr left and toney suspended. Hmm I think DE should be addressed at some point. Now I understand your thinking some of the aforemention players can be signed but sweat and young situation can be differcult. Now for me if a DE of value (BPA) is there in the later rds I'm pulling the trigger. If not then I'm moving on. 

Will be interesting to see if Rivera drafts a quick twitch de at some point. My opinion is we have the bigger DEs for a reason & that's because that's the type of DEs Rivera wants

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, taylor made said:

My belief is that he'll be the pick at #16 by Rivera and company even over Joey Porter, Jr. I don't think Rivera believes we have a true #1 CB on the roster and he's locked onto the position just like last year with WR. Benjamin St. Juste has improved but he can't stay healthy and relied on.

Deonte's stock has risen where he is a legit first rounder. He's a 4 year Senior player which we know this regime likes. And he has an elite RAS- athletic ability. He's a relatively local kid from Baltimore, MD. 

And I'm a fan too. He's not as good as some of the offensive line picks like Broderick Jones or Darnell Wright but I think he belongs right in the discussion with Christian Rodriguez and Devon Witherspoon as the top CB. I think he's better than Joey Porter, Jr. He'll be in that B draft grade range from me. 

I'm all about it if Witherspoon and Gonzales are gone & the top 4 OTs, which is most likely 

Edited by turtle28

22 hours ago, e16bball said:

For me, Sanders just feels a little redundant with Jamin Davis. What he’s going to give you — speed, range to the sideline, some sneaky pass-rushing impact — is pretty similar to what we get out of Jamin. 

To me, we need a guy who is going to do a little more work in the middle of the field and in terms of being the alpha personality that holds all the units/levels of the defense together. I don’t know whether Sanders has that personality, but I do know that he didn’t do a ton of his damage in the form of classic MIKE stuff at either Bama or Arkansas. 

Well i think Sanders is not for you b/c he is more of a Micah Parson, Edmonds (Bills) type. Like I said his forte is an edge rusher. Is a work in progess. Stilll developing so experience is a concern. He is raw with alot of upside and versaltity. 

1 hour ago, 4209 said:

I love both their CB’s

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, ripsean21 said:

I love both their CB’s

You mean maryland CBs? If so like I said. Watching the NFL combine last night there was another player from maryland who ran well. Can't remember his full name. Think he was 3rd in the 40 yard dash. But he was a safety not sure. Have to watch that combine again to get that players name. 

• Like 1