2023 draft prospects and college football talk.

ripsean21

28 minutes ago, offbyone said:

I still think we might get a surprise qb fall and should keep an eye out.  Stroud is a premium prospect if a couple qbs are taken before him we should consider.

This is going to be the big storyline for us to watch, absolutely. 100%. 

Panthers will take Young, obviously, as they should. Colts are definitely going QB, just a question of who they take. A lot of smoke around Levis there, from everything I’ve seen. But is that just because they thought Stroud would be gone?

If Stroud gets past the Raiders, do we have to give Kyle Smith and his new buddies a call? At what point does the cost become low enough (and the upgrade over Howell substantial enough) to justify trading up?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Its because he's good in zone coverage.

And is preternaturally gifted at taking the ball away (and returning it to the house, apparently). 

Where they lose me is in the value. Is someone else really taking a 165 pound CB in the top 20? And if they do, is missing out on Emmanuel Forbes (and having to take one of those other guys or someone highly rated at a different position) such a big loss that we should be staying at that pick to take him? Maybe you don’t get big value in a draft like this to trade down — but Forbes plus something/anything is still better than just Forbes.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, e16bball said:

And is preternaturally gifted at taking the ball away (and returning it to the house, apparently). 

Where they lose me is in the value. Is someone else really taking a 165 pound CB in the top 20? And if they do, is missing out on Emmanuel Forbes (and having to take one of those other guys or someone highly rated at a different position) such a big loss that we should be staying at that pick to take him? Maybe you don’t get big value in a draft like this to trade down — but Forbes plus something/anything is still better than just Forbes.

It feels like you should be able to land a pretty solid small zone coverage CB in the 3rd round. So ya I agree, we should be focusing on someone with more upside. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

I'm starting to see Emmanuel Forbes a lot as well. And the reasoning behind these picks are that Rivera doesn't care to reach lol. 

The only reason Forbes would be a reach is bc he’s the weight of Fred Smoot. Remember Smoot fell to the 2nd mostly bc of his weight but he could play & was a good CB in the NFL for 9 years.

What I see out of Forbes is toughness & playmaking ability which I do like out of Forbes.

I mean, 14 ints in 3 years w/ 6 ints returned for a TD screams special playmaker to me even if he only weighs 166 pounds. He will need to get stronger & add weight for sure but, he did play in the SEC at that size which is the closest thing to the NFL in college football.

1 hour ago, MKnight82 said:

I seriously disagree with this. 

Stroud tore apart the Georgia D, no other QB in this draft did that this year. He’s got great arm strength, he’s accurate, smart & sneaky athletic. Short of him not being able to move as well as Bryce Young in and out of the pocket, Stroud is the better prospect.

Just now, turtle28 said:

If Stroud falls, it’ll be another malpractice by Rivera if we chose to not trade up and draft him just as it’s looking like it could be malpractice that we didn’t trade up for Fields.

I don't want Rivera trading up for a QB at this point. I'd love to have Stroud but he would immediately be put through a regime change at the end of this season and it would only hurt his development. Fields was the time to do it and they blew that. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, turtle28 said:

Stroud tore apart the Georgia D, no other QB in this draft did that this year. He’s got great arm strength, he’s accurate, smart & sneaky athletic. Short of him not being able to move as well as Bryce Young in and out of the pocket, Stroud is the better prospect.

Why is he falling? I figured he was a lock for 2nd overall.

1 minute ago, lavar703 said:

The S2 test. It was really bad apparently. 

Ya shocker.  Ohio State QBs run a one read only offense.  They are not prepared for the NFL.  Stroud also had arguably the greatest WRing core in college football history.  

1 minute ago, MKnight82 said:

Ya shocker.  Ohio State QBs run a one read only offense.  They are not prepared for the NFL.  Stroud also had arguably the greatest WRing core in college football history.  

I mean, I'd buy into THIS though. Still, I always thought he looked better than anything Haskins or Fields ever did. 

• Like 1