2023 draft prospects and college football talk.

ripsean21

10 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I’d love that to be the case, I’m not sure if it’s true or not though. I like Howell too, I know what he did in college. I’m not convinced that he’s better than what Hooker showed this season - removing the other seasons Hooker played - or that Howell is better than what Levis, Richardson & Rattler may develop into.

Regardless of that, we need more QB competition & young talent to develop. Just bc Howell may end up being better than Levis, Hooker, Richardson or Rattler doesn’t mean we shouldn’t try to improve our QB room with another young talented QB w/ upside.

From what I’ve read Rattler has been a good teammate.

Levis, Richardson and Rattler have all been horrible. Like not just bad but extremely bad. Watching Luke Easterling try to hype Richardson as the next Josh Allen is hilarious. One went to Florida surrounded by top talent and the other went to Wyoming. It’s an absurdly stupid comparison. Levis, I tried but I just don’t get it? Throws a beautiful deep ball but he’s just not very good. Rattler is a jerk. His teammates hated him. I want that dude nowhere near this team. 

Hooker, Young and Stroud are the only QBs I’d want from this draft if we went that route. I just don’t see the point of drafting Hooker when you have Howell? And we have zero shot at Young or Stroud. I’d sprint to the podium for Young. I’d give up multiple first round picks for him. He’s going to be a perennial top 10 QB. Very talented and just gets it between the ears. 

11 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Levis, Richardson and Rattler have all been horrible. Like not just bad but extremely bad. Watching Luke Easterling try to hype Richardson as the next Josh Allen is hilarious. One went to Florida surrounded by top talent and the other went to Wyoming. It’s an absurdly stupid comparison. Levis, I tried but I just don’t get it? Throws a beautiful deep ball but he’s just not very good. Rattler is a jerk. His teammates hated him. I want that dude nowhere near this team. 

Hooker, Young and Stroud are the only QBs I’d want from this draft if we went that route. I just don’t see the point of drafting Hooker when you have Howell? And we have zero shot at Young or Stroud. I’d sprint to the podium for Young. I’d give up multiple first round picks for him. He’s going to be a perennial top 10 QB. Very talented and just gets it between the ears. 

Can you point me to an article where people are saying Spencer Rattler is a jerk?

I’m not finding any 

On 11/20/2022 at 12:17 PM, turtle28 said:

Can you point me to an article where people are saying Spencer Rattler is a jerk?

I’m not finding any 

If you search “Spencer Rattler attitude,” you’ll find an array of articles that discuss his supposed selfishness and character concerns. I don’t know the kid, so I can’t really say, but that was certainly a pretty steady narrative coming out of Oklahoma last season. 

4 hours ago, e16bball said:

If you search “Spencer Rattler attitude,” you’ll find an array of articles that discuss his supposed selfishness and character concerns. I don’t know the kid, so I can’t really say, but that was certainly a pretty steady narrative coming out of Oklahoma last season. 

Yeah, I read about it. From what I could find he wasn’t happy about being benched - who wouldn’t be - but he wasn’t a jerk as the season went on. Also, people learn from their mistakes & mature. He’s seemed to have matured in South Carolina. He was absolutely awesome vs Tenn.

Edited by turtle28

On 11/20/2022 at 12:06 PM, lavar703 said:

We are really on the same page the last few days, and again I’m totally with you here. This draft is Young and Stroud for me (in that order), and I’m not really interested in the rest. 

I also tried with Levis. And I’m right there with you, I just don’t see it. Look, it’s not like college stats are everything in evaluating QBs. But unless you’re playing with absolute bums (against quality competition), you have to at least be pretty good at the college level. And I don’t feel like Levis has been even that for many weeks now. 

I’m going to watch every snap I possibly can of Levis, and maybe it clicks for me. But…I’m skeptical. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, e16bball said:

We are really on the same page the last few days, and again I’m totally with you here. This draft is Young and Stroud for me (in that order), and I’m not really interested in the rest. 

I also tried with Levis. And I’m right there with you, I just don’t see it. Look, it’s not like college stats are everything in evaluating QBs. But unless you’re playing with absolute bums (against quality competition), you have to at least be pretty good at the college level. And I don’t feel like Levis has been even that for many weeks now. 

I’m going to watch every snap I possibly can of Levis, and maybe it clicks for me. But…I’m skeptical. 

I’m not in love with Levis, Hooker (especially after tearing his ACL), McKee (Stanford) or Rattler either but as I was saying last year, and my position hasn’t changed, we have to start taking more swings at QB prospects & hope one of them will develop into at least a Kirk type. I want more than anything for Howell to be that guy, but we shouldn’t not draft someone & assume that’s going to happen.

Basically, you miss 100% of the chances you don’t take.

• Like 1

Waiting in Thanksgiving Dinner to start Mock bc I’m bored:

17. Joey Porter Jr., CB, Penn State

48. O’Cyrus Torrence, OG, Florida 
98. Sedrick Van Pran, OC, Georgia
116.Tony Grimes, CB, North Carolina
148. Jalen Graham , LB Purdue
180. Sataoa Laumea, OG Utah
212. Ja'quan Sheppard, CB, Cincinnati 
Edited by turtle28
  • Like 1

I did one also Turtle. 

17: R1 P17 LB Trenton Simpson - Clemson
48: R2 P17 G O'Cyrus Torrence - Florida
98: R3 P35 LB Tommy Eichenberg - Ohio State
119: R4 P17 C John Michael Schmitz - Minnesota
152: R5 P17 S DeMarcco Hellams - Alabama
192: R6 P17 TE Cameron Latu - Alabama
232: R7 P17 CB Tre'Vius Hodges-Tomlinson - TCU
249: R7 P34 RB Kenny McIntosh - Georgia

10 hours ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

I did one also Turtle. 

17: R1 P17 LB Trenton Simpson - Clemson
48: R2 P17 G O'Cyrus Torrence - Florida
98: R3 P35 LB Tommy Eichenberg - Ohio State
119: R4 P17 C John Michael Schmitz - Minnesota
152: R5 P17 S DeMarcco Hellams - Alabama
192: R6 P17 TE Cameron Latu - Alabama
232: R7 P17 CB Tre'Vius Hodges-Tomlinson - TCU
249: R7 P34 RB Kenny McIntosh - Georgia

I know Simpson is a great prospect but we shouldn’t take a LB in round 1 unless we lose Holcomb IMO. We run a 4-2-5 D, Simpson won’t play as Holcomb & Jamin are our starters. 

I had us drafting another back up LB to compete with the ones we have to back up Holcomb & Jamin like Mayo, Milo Eifler & Khaleke Hudson - who, I know you don’t like but your 5th or 6th LBs are always core special teams players like Hudson can be.

I thought about taking another S as you did, but I’m satisfied w/ what we have & the depth we have there also.

BN: McCain

SS: Curl, Butler

FS: DFo, Reaves

CB is by far our biggest weakness on D & that’s why I had us taking Porter who could be a #1 type, Grimes who’s a #2/3 type & then a late round guy to be a special teams type/maybe make if we’re lucky a #2 or 3 type after a few years of development.

I have to say also that I wouldn’t touch TE unless it’s a Mayer from Notre Dame. If we’re not getting a TE w/ pro bowl potential there’s no point to me. We have Logan, Bates, Turner, Rogers & Hodges. There’s no reason to take a TE.

Edited by turtle28

IMO I think Simpson or Eichenberg will be better LBs than Cole. I’m hoping Davis continues to progress. Holcomb can’t cover TE’s. Getting 2 good OL sounds good to me. We don’t have 3 good LBs Maybe we would play 3 Lb schemes some of the time especially if they can cover a TE. 
I don’t hate K Hudson I just don’t think he’s worth a roster spot when all you’re doing is playing ST. Can’t get pt with the LB we have. I put him in the Apke category. 
The way we use TE taking one in the first rd would be a waste. 
Last 3 picks were just fillers. I didn’t really care to be honest. BPA for those picks. 

Edited by ARTMONK HOF

8 hours ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

IMO I think Simpson or Eichenberg will be better LBs than Cole. I’m hoping Davis continues to progress. Holcomb can’t cover TE’s. Getting 2 good OL sounds good to me. We don’t have 3 good LBs Maybe we would play 3 Lb schemes some of the time especially if they can cover a TE. 
I don’t hate K Hudson I just don’t think he’s worth a roster spot when all you’re doing is playing ST. Can’t get pt with the LB we have. I put him in the Apke category. 
The way we use TE taking one in the first rd would be a waste. 
Last 3 picks were just fillers. I didn’t really care to be honest. BPA for those picks. 

Yeah, but why pass on a CB like Porter,  Ringo or the one from SC I think who’s the #3 CB who are clearly bigger upgrades at CB than Simpson or Eichenberg, who should be a 3rd round pick, he’s good but not top 50 pick worthy, over taking a huge upgrade as our 3rd CB. 

Are we sure that Simpson can cover NFL level TEs? The ACC doesn’t have many TEs who will start in the NFL. I guess I should watch him vs ND & Mayer to see. 

Edited by turtle28

19 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Waiting in Thanksgiving Dinner to start Mock bc I’m bored:

17. Joey Porter Jr., CB, Penn State

48. O’Cyrus Torrence, OG, Florida 
98. Sedrick Van Pran, OC, Georgia
116.Tony Grimes, CB, North Carolina
148. Jalen Graham , LB Purdue
180. Sataoa Laumea, OG Utah
212. Ja'quan Sheppard, CB, Cincinnati 

Porter def has the length and physical skillset this FO and staff seems to covet. I really haven’t had a chance to break down enough players to set a board yet at a few positions to really have a feel for the draft and maximizing each pick but these players are all very high football IQ players with size and traits.

• Like 1

With this class I really think with the value of OL and CB and LB this is the year I’d trade out of the first for picks next year if I could. Either way for me it’s always BPA but this year you can’t reach. What I do have graded so far are huge clusters of first to third round grades on guys I am pretty sure will be drafted in the top 20 but could be selected 60 and not be surprised. If I could move out and hopefully set myself up to get in the Caleb Williams sweepstakes I’d do it.