2023 draft prospects and college football talk.

ripsean21

59 minutes ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

R1 P14 OT Broderick Jones - Georgia
R3 P14 LB Tommy Eichenberg - Ohio State
R3 P35 G Layden Robinson - Texas A&M
R4 P14 C Olusegun Oluwatimi - Michigan
R5 P14 LB Jeremy Banks - Tennessee

Fanspeak Mock Draft. 
I know it’s real early and was a little bored so I Did a 5 round mock just for fun and this is how it turned out. 
They had us selecting 14 losing our 2 round and giving us the comp pick from Scherff. 
IMO I like it. Building back our OL and giving us some talent at LB. 

My guess is we go for the TE from Notre Dame 

19 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Stroud is really struggling with the wind in Chicago & now it’s raining there. Wind gusting near 50 mph! Wow 😮 

I said it a year ago I don't like Stroud as a prospect. Not even the Ohio State thing, but, I see a guy who has all of the advantages of blue chippers.

1 hour ago, JoshstraDaymus said:

I said it a year ago I don't like Stroud as a prospect. Not even the Ohio State thing, but, I see a guy who has all of the advantages of blue chippers.

Scouting QB’s I almost impossible. You can’t look at production or anything. You have to literally scout 4 phases individually. First is how do they handle pressure. How do they keep their feet and form under pressure and when their form and feet can’t be right do they have the arm to thread a pass when there isn’t a possibility to get their form.

second is scheme and talent around them. I am very high on Levi’s because he has the worse around him and his traits are higher then the rest. While he makes questionable decisions you have to factor when Stroud You g make that same decision are their WE’s bailing them out where Levis WR isn’t where they are supposed to be or simply not doing the same? 

Mental. Interviews are key. We don’t get them as fans but what we can do is scour the web and YouTube for interviews from HS and college in local media outlets to get an idea of the kid behind the pads: are they a football junkie? Do they love the process and the tape because that’s what matters in the league.

the it factor. No matter what happened for 3-1/2 quarters do the command the huddle and Instill the belief they will go win the game. Young def has this trait!!! Do they elevate the players around them when it matters most? The problem with the top 2 will be can you give them the weapons in the NFL to allow them to do what they’ve gotten accustom too before they lose confidence? That’s why guys who seem to face more adversity in college tend to develop better as the roster grows with them then the guys who drop so severely from college level talent to the league where they will never have those throwing lanes and talent level outside.

1 hour ago, JoshstraDaymus said:

And to clear one part up I’ll use this example to clear up why I like Levis. Zach Wilson has amazing raw ability. But watching him he just throws a pass to throw a pass and scouting him I used to just yell no like catch or whatever it’s a bad decision. But in college there’s a difference between a bad decision and giving your guy a chance and that player not making a play or being where they should be. That’s where Josh Allen taught me the most. When a QB is putting a ball in the right spot and the defense makes a play you have to factor in all the situations. Pass rush. Did the WR run the right route? Did they even attempt to make a play on the ball and did the WR throw out of panic or just because they have a cannon. I’ve never said no as much as I have scouting a player as I did with Zach Wilson. Watching Levis I just see a guy playing Uber talented Defenses with way lower level weapons then the guys he’s competing against. But his feet his drops his arm his eyes as far as a college player he’s pretty damn polished. He has to clean things up but then you factor his run and throw on the run which is second to none in most classes this guy has what I want at the position. Hearing his interviews at camps and everything he has sold me it’s not about results when it comes to scouting that position because OL play and bad WR play and even run game factor so much into football situations.

18 hours ago, turtle28 said:

In round 1? Not sure I see us going te in round 1 but I do agree that we need an upgrade there just as we do at CB, FS, OL & we need a good/great starting QB more than anything 

Yeah I think he'll be the best player available when we pick. I also don't see new ownership allowing this group to draft a QB. 

7 hours ago, lavar703 said:

Yeah I think he'll be the best player available when we pick. I also don't see new ownership allowing this group to draft a QB. 

That’s why the first thing the new owner needs to do is hire his own GM & take full roster control away from Ron. Then, that GM can draft the QB he wants.

I think long term the team needs to be investing in offensive line - they've largely ignored this position in the draft in the Rivera era. This doesn't look like a great O-line class however. Skoronski looks interesting on paper but I've not even watch him play yet. QB obviously is a consideration and this looks like a decent class.  I'd like to fill the CB/TE needs in free agency and I doubt I'll have a high grade/banging on the table for any of the first round ones. 

2 hours ago, taylor made said:

I think long term the team needs to be investing in offensive line - they've largely ignored this position in the draft in the Rivera era. This doesn't look like a great O-line class however. Skoronski looks interesting on paper but I've not even watch him play yet. QB obviously is a consideration and this looks like a decent class.  I'd like to fill the CB/TE needs in free agency and I doubt I'll have a high grade/banging on the table for any of the first round ones. 

It’s hard watching them play because he’s the only one on the line who doesn’t move backwards so he doesn’t look as good as I think he will on a NFL roster with better play beside him. I think there’s real strength at OL in this class starting the Mid 2nd round. I just am not seeing many players with dominating potential. Though I will say I’d take just about anyone off the Ole Miss OL. They all pull and run block together it’s a thing of beauty. Their RT is the best athlete on the unit but he always seems to be battling something. This year I think you just have to pick BPA. Because BPA might be Robinson or Meyer. Are they needs no!!! But would you pass on a Sauce level player at their position for a Cole Holcomb at another? Not knocking Cole just using example of the top guys may not fill a position of need but they give you a legit blue Chip player and we need as many of those as you can get.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, taylor made said:

The highest graded G is O’Cyrus Torrence. Looks like he’ll be a late 1st or more likely an early 2nd round prospect. He’d be someone I’d love to get in round 2 if we can & if we retain that pick. There are some G/C types we should be taking in round 3 (if we end up w/ a 3rd instead of 2nd) or round 4. There’s really no top talent though at that position in the draft going round 1.

I’d like to go QB for sure in round 1, CB or like @lavar703 said, the TE from Notre Dame very well could be the BPA when we pick in round 1 & imI’d have no problem taking him there. Then, Torrence (OG) & there’s some good CB & FS prospects in round 2.

19 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I want to see this same energy about not wanting to take Caleb Williams #1 overall in the 2024 draft bc he was throwing to Addison & a plethora of great WRs at USC.

That’s all

Williams is local though I turned his card in when he committed to Oklahoma and I hate USC I still want that guy lol

If they don't put Howell out there this season and Wentz is not on this team next year my guess is they pick Hendon Hooker. He's older which Rivera likes and he can throw deep and move.  I hate that he's going to be 25 and its a main reason I wouldn't pick him but I wouldn't be shocked if they take him.

36 minutes ago, ripsean21 said:

Williams is local though I turned his card in when he committed to Oklahoma and I hate USC I still want that guy lol

Oh, I want him. I think you get my point though. 

Stroud is clearly the #1 prospect in the draft and everytime I get in this forum or on Twitter people are finding reasons they wouldn’t take the best QB in the draft rather than reasons they would take him. 

Like Stroud doesn’t have a flaw in his game as a passer. The only thing he isn’t is a running QB. 

I mean everyone talks about the receivers he’s throwing to, he hasn’t even had the best WR in next years draft to throw to all year Jaxon Smith-Nijigba bc of his hamstring injury. He’s had to break in two new WRs after losing Olave & Wilson as top 11 picks in the draft and hasn’t missed a beat.