Russ signs 5-year, $245M contract

AnAngryAmerican

1 hour ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

I thought this was “footballs future” where we talk about the future of the teams rather than put blinders on for the present lol

That is the name of the website  but it doesn’t really reflect the discussion that takes place here. It’s 2022 and the team is relevant again so it makes sense to talk about the current season, if the team sucked we would be talking about the next draft. Never been much discussion of what the team will look like in 3 years when more than half the roster is turned over. Maybe Texans fans are doing that, not sure anyone else is. 

15 hours ago, BroncoBruin said:

Anyway I’m going to just enjoy living in the moment, this team has had an unwatchable offense and terrible leadership for 5 years. I will worry about how bad it’s going to eventually be when we get there. Three years is an eternity in football. 

We also have one of the best GMs in football. The team is in very good shape, IMO.

• Like 3

On 9/4/2022 at 4:38 AM, lomaxgrUK said:

This is just not true. At all, in fact.

Even if we dont get to a Superbowl, I would give up the same picks and the same contract *every single time* to get a QB that can beat any team in the league, win 10+ games consistently and be a factor in the playoffs.

One team gets to win a Superbowl. That's it. If, as a fan, that is your only measure of contentment then you're missing out.

Having a QB like Russ makes us a factor in every game. That's worth the picks and money, zero doubt.

We know the feeling of QB purgatory. It's absolutely ****e. No thank you.

That's fair and I would probably feel the same given the situation. 

Long term is where it gets questionable. You get a few years of competitive football, but the QB is 33 and has shown some decline. As he tails off, could be a long bumpy road ala the post Manning era. 

On 9/3/2022 at 9:14 AM, Broncofan said:

The early 2020 “let Russ cook” philosophy has been abandoned to where Carroll ran a top 5 run-pass ratio in neutral gane scripts in the last 1.5 seasons.   Yet had lowest ToP and plays / game in that period.    Run-run-pass with Russ & Metcalf/Lockett as their best weapons on O.    Now this is also how Carroll keeps games closer as a big underdog - but it explains a ton of SEA’s post-season struggles as the D stopped bring dominant.   Bad coaching is often the difference in January.    And as the overall team talent has worsened it’s created the reg season struggles too.    To say Russ wanted out because he was shackled in SEA by Carroll’s philosophy is a massive understatement.   

I think both are to blame. Pete is conservative and Russ started turning the ball over and playing hero ball in pursuit of an MVP by accounts of people in the building. It was time to part ways.

11 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Given the contract and draft capital given up for Russ. If the Broncos miss the playoffs this year, will it be a disappointment?

I think that’s the case regardless of the contract. The aim for this season is to get a wildcard and at least push to finish at worst 2-3 games out of first place, maybe win one playoff game and then come unstuck in Buffalo or Arrowhead in the divisional round. If we can finish the year with a winning record and narrowly miss the playoffs, that would be a minor disappointment but not a disaster. Any record south of .500 would be a bitter disappointment, as would finishing bottom of the AFC West again. 

Most Broncos fans will tell you that 2023 and 2024 are the years that we will be all in to try and win a superbowl. This year is a bit of a dry run. Don’t rule out that we might catch fire and maybe get lucky with other teams not staying healthy or making errors, but really the aim is to get into the playoffs and not much else.

On 9/10/2022 at 4:13 PM, big_palooka said:

Given the contract and draft capital given up for Russ. If the Broncos miss the playoffs this year, will it be a disappointment?

Yes, without doubt. The **why** is obviously important. If we miss out due to Russ being unable to get close games won vs the Chargers and Raiders, then yes, it will be super disappointing. 

If its because we get absolutely crushed with injuries defensively, for example, and we score 30 points a game but don't get in, that's not necessarily disappointing. 

• Like 2