2023 NFL Draft Prospects

Madmike90

11 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

I would be amazed if Allbright is right and Young is just under 6' 1/2"...if he is it would be great news for us since more teams will have him on their boards.

Ehhh this isn’t 2005 anymore. You’re either comfortable with his size (how he’s built more than his height) or you’re not. An inch/inch and a half isn’t going to change much anymore these days

We have seen that 5’10/5’11 QBs work in the league. You’re just getting slimmer margins of error everywhere else. And Young has been behind NFL sized lines and dominated in the SEC. If you’re worried about his height, you’re an old fart who is just stuck in their ways. His mass on the other hand is something you have to have a conversation about

9 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

Ehhh this isn’t 2005 anymore. You’re either comfortable with his size (how he’s built more than his height) or you’re not. An inch/inch and a half isn’t going to change much anymore these days

We have seen that 5’10/5’11 QBs work in the league. You’re just getting slimmer margins of error everywhere else. And Young has been behind NFL sized lines and dominated in the SEC. If you’re worried about his height, you’re an old fart who is just stuck in their ways. His mass on the other hand is something you have to have a conversation about

Dane Brugler who I love as a draft analyst essentially crushed this tweet from Allbright. Young is an inch or two smaller than Murray and probably 15-20 pounds lighter

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

Listening to a lot of the draft guys I respect on the athletic it still is a factor in a lot of these buildings...it might not be 2005 anymore but a lot of guys working in NFL front offices are still the same guys who were back then and while opinions may change slightly if you offer a GM a QB who is 5-9"/5-10" or a QB who is 6-0"/6-1" they are taking the bigger guy because like you said it gives you a bigger margin for error...it also goes to the mass argument as well...you can add more good weight to a bigger frame than you can a smaller frame & there is no doubt Young is going to have to add weight because playing in the NFL at what 185lbs is just not going to be successful.

23 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

Dane Brugler who I love as a draft analyst essentially crushed this tweet from Allbright. Young is an inch or two smaller than Murray and probably 15-20 pounds lighter

All these guys are going off pictures and what not. I have seen Kyler Murray in person, if Bryce Young is an inch or TWO shorter then he is like 5’7”. And that’s just not true.

He is for sure not as thick, and that’s going to be the discussion

Edited by StLunatic88

12 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

Listening to a lot of the draft guys I respect on the athletic it still is a factor in a lot of these buildings...it might not be 2005 anymore but a lot of guys working in NFL front offices are still the same guys who were back then and while opinions may change slightly if you offer a GM a QB who is 5-9"/5-10" or a QB who is 6-0"/6-1" they are taking the bigger guy because like you said it gives you a bigger margin for error...it also goes to the mass argument as well...you can add more good weight to a bigger frame than you can a smaller frame & there is no doubt Young is going to have to add weight because playing in the NFL at what 185lbs is just not going to be successful.

The front office and Scouting guys specifically have changed alot in the past decade. And ontop of that there have been more and more shorter QBs shown they can do it in the league, while the old “prototype” guys of 6’4” have flamed out more. More has been realized about timing and quicker release that those tall/long guys are bad at. 

It’s also never a conversation about “pick the tall guy or pick the short guy” it’s about what do those measurements do to each individual guys game. It’s a complete misconception that these guys are walking around with a “you must be this tall” stick to see if the guys are passable. 

Again, Young has operated a prolific offense, in the toughest conference in the country, all while doing it behind an already NFL sized OLine. His height is not an issue, he has proven that. And even the idea of “adding more weight” is least applicable for a QB of any other position. Look at Lamar, he’s not adding anything significant.

The only real question as far as scouting, will be about his ability to hold up, and that has way more to do with thickness than height. Which again, he has done a pretty good job of in his college career.

Just now, StLunatic88 said:

The front office and Scouting guys specifically have changed alot in the past decade. And ontop of that there have been more and more shorter QBs shown they can do it in the league, while the old “prototype” guys of 6’4” have flamed out more. More has been realized about timing and quicker release that those tall/long guys are bad at. 

It’s also never a conversation about “pick the tall guy or pick the short guy” it’s about what do those measurements do to each individual guys game. It’s a complete misconception that these guys are walking around with a “you must be this tall” stick to see if the guys are passable. 

Again, Young has operated a prolific offense, in the toughest conference in the country, all while doing it behind an already NFL sized OLine. His height is not an issue, he has proven that. And even the idea of “adding more weight” is least applicable for a QB of any other position. Look at Lamar, he’s not adding anything significant.

The only real question as far as scouting, will be about his ability to hold up, and that has way more to do with thickness than height. Which again, he has done a pretty good job of in his college career.

Again man I will go with some of the guys who are involved in that world...if you think judgments won't be made on Young's height then cool but I think listening to these guys it is a clear conversation point in these front offices...the only thing thing that worries me about trading with the Colts for example is I know having with their "with the next pick" series they have benchmarks for size at several positions...when researching Ed Dodds the story that kept coming up was Chris Ballard was not wanting sign Kenny Moore II because he was under 5-10" and Dodds spent hours convincing him to sign him because he had exceptional length for his height...they might not view QB the same but they will without doubt have reason for pause if he is around the 5-10" 190lbs mark.

1 hour ago, StLunatic88 said:

All these guys are going off pictures and what not. I have seen Kyler Murray in person, if Bryce Young is an inch or TWO shorter then he is like 5’7”. And that’s just not true.

He is for sure not as thick, and that’s going to be the discussion

Murray is 5'11" verified, Young is expected to be 5'10" verified, that would make him an inch shorter.

But I agree with you. Much more concerned about the 185 lbs issue, which if that's what he measures at, that's going to make him borderline undraftable for some teams.

2 minutes ago, Superman(DH23) said:

Murray is 5'11" verified, Young is expected to be 5'10" verified, that would make him an inch shorter.

But I agree with you. Much more concerned about the 185 lbs issue, which if that's what he measures at, that's going to make him borderline undraftable for some teams.

The Colts & Texans don't seem to be in on Sean Payton so whatever one wants to make the biggest play for Young should hire Shane Steichen as he has shown he can truly build an offence around who he has a QB in Herbert & Hurts 1.0 & 2.0...hopefully the Colts since that is a better trade partner for us but I still worry Jim Irsay does something stupid and hires Jim Harbaugh who I am not sure would really value a QB in the same way.

The weight component for a QB doesn't bother me as much as the past since the NFL is officiated much differently these days. QB hits are being legislated out of the game, you don't have to worry (unnecessarily, anyway) about late hits from defensive players without an over-aggressive flag on the play.