2023 NFL Draft Prospects

Madmike90

1 hour ago, TankWilliams said:

I'm being really nitpicky, I know, but if we are looking at McPhee and Houston as examples of moving players to new positions, I don't get the warm and fuzzies about that idea.

The Bears really spent a lot of time in the early 2010s giving players head scratching position matches.  It was fair to wonder if Emery needed some diagrams with 3-4 and 4-3 defenses, perhaps with "WE HAVE THIS ONE" in red ink. 

2 hours ago, BearsDen1-99 said:

I like Carter. Jalen Carter just has Chicago Bear written all over him. the dude is a beast...Edge rushers are more availabe than DT like Carter are. Chicago should take Jalen IMO. Hello guys

Sell me on Carter... He's prototypical size for 3-tech, but the college stats don't jump out at me and its not just the sacks ats the tackles for loss as well. He has a few nice moves and occasionally shows great burst but from the film I've seen he seems quite streaky as a pass rusher and run defender. 

If I'm taking him top-3 I would prefer he had tremendous production in college. Maybe if I watch the game film I'll see something different

Early in the pre-draft process I like Will Anderson to play 4-3 DE in a 2 point stance or whatever he prefers 😂 Dude makes plays and is more of a sure thing than Carter. Might even put him in at OLB on first down and cycle him to DE on passing downs and like I said in my previous comment the stats back up his play. The versatility is amazing and the stunts we could run with him would be amazing since he can rush from either side or up the middle. Well spoken in his interviews and off the field he seems like a great leader. Might even take him #1 so we don't lose him

Edited by anonymousGM

5 hours ago, anonymousGM said:

Sell me on Carter... He's prototypical size for 3-tech, but the college stats don't jump out at me and its not just the sacks ats the tackles for loss as well. He has a few nice moves and occasionally shows great burst but from the film I've seen he seems quite streaky as a pass rusher and run defender. 

If I'm taking him top-3 I would prefer he had tremendous production in college. Maybe if I watch the game film I'll see something different

It is an IMO buddy, just my opinion. thanks though!

Edited by BearsDen1-99

8 hours ago, anonymousGM said:

I’ll give it a go then…the issue with just looking at the stats is understanding Georgia’s scheme and specifically what they ask their DL to do…Carter is very rarely asked to get up the field and is told to hold the POA and usually a double team to allow others to make plays…thank of it like the difference between early career Javon Hargrave and now…the Steelers asked him to play the nose and build a wall to allow QBs not to be able to step up in the pocket and for their OLBs to then be able to get the  sacks…signs with Philly and in their scheme he is asked to penetrate and suddenly he is one of the best 3 techs in football…different schemes allow you to show different things…what’s exciting about Carter are the flashes…when it’s 3rd & long and he is allowed to rush the passer properly instead of trying to open things up for other people he shows incredible explosiveness for a man of his size…he has the strength to bully blockers 1-on-1…plays with real aggression and panics QBs because of it…DT is a position where if you make 1 or 2 impact plays a game and maybe draw a holding call you are already on of the best in the NFL…I think Carter can be that guy who makes everyone’s life far easier and will still not only make plays that show on the regular stat sheet but all those important ones that don’t like holding calls drawn, false stats caused, QB throw aways…it’s all hidden yards…

I like Will Anderson but his size as a true everydown DE in the NFL worries me…I am not even sure I have him as my #1 DE for us given what Flus has had in the past…I think Carter is the better prospect in general…I think for us he is a way better prospect.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, BearsDen1-99 said:

I like Carter. Jalen Carter just has Chicago Bear written all over him. the dude is a beast...Edge rushers are more availabe than DT like Carter are. Chicago should take Jalen IMO. Hello guys

I would generally agree here.  Another caveat is most interior DL are part time players.  They get rotated out a lot to conserve energy.  

Edge players do too, but less so.   I would love Jalen, but I would love collecting many high picks more if possible.

Right now the way the draft is shaping if we want Anderson we either take him #1 or trade down with Houston for #2...

Trading with Indy to #4 should net Carter, but not Anderson, as I expect Ari takes him at #3

I don't think the debate between Carter and Anderson is particularly close, personally.  I'll be pissed if we only traded down to #2 then picked Carter. I'm not even sold he's worth #4 overall, tbh.... DTs just don't have that kind of game impact unless they're Aaron Donald.

My primary thought is trading down rather large for Tyree Wilson and a haul of picks (there's probably about 5 other prospects I could look at depending on how the board shakes out), but Anderson at 2 would still be my preference over even Carter at 4.

3 hours ago, Epyon said:

Right now the way the draft is shaping if we want Anderson we either take him #1 or trade down with Houston for #2...

Trading with Indy to #4 should net Carter, but not Anderson, as I expect Ari takes him at #3

I don't think the debate between Carter and Anderson is particularly close, personally.  I'll be pissed if we only traded down to #2 then picked Carter. I'm not even sold he's worth #4 overall, tbh.... DTs just don't have that kind of game impact unless they're Aaron Donald.

My primary thought is trading down rather large for Tyree Wilson and a haul of picks (there's probably about 5 other prospects I could look at depending on how the board shakes out), but Anderson at 2 would still be my preference over even Carter at 4.

By the time we actually get to the draft I wouldn’t be shocked if Wilson is a top 6-7 pick. He has a lot of characteristics that make guys rise up the board at DE - elite size, elite length, plus power, plus athleticism, solid college sack production, good run defender, scheme versatility. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

By the time we actually get to the draft I wouldn’t be shocked if Wilson is a top 6-7 pick. He has a lot of characteristics that make guys rise up the board at DE - elite size, elite length, plus power, plus athleticism, solid college sack production, good run defender, scheme versatility. 

I mean, I think he’s already there. Seattle is a pretty serious fit for him if Anderson and Carter are gone. 

Which is why you can’t go lower than #8 unless you get an unprecedented haul 

11 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

He is already there I think.  I started watching him a little on Friday.  Reminds me of Calais Campbell. 

Low floor with this guy barring injury.  He is a monster.  

Give me a trade down and him plus a good WR or OL from trade and that alone is a good draft.  

If we can manage to get them plus a high 2024 pick I would be really happy with that.  

1 minute ago, StLunatic88 said:

I mean, I think he’s already there. Seattle is a pretty serious fit for him if Anderson and Carter are gone. 

Which is why you can’t go lower than #8 unless you get an unprecedented haul 

Ha.  Typing same thing at same time. 

• Like 1

I don't think we can go wrong with either one of Anderson or Carter. Both guys are blue chip talents it just all depends on what we prioritize more

My feeling is that Carter will be more valuable for Flus as we all know from the Lovie years that a game wrecking 3T makes this defense go

But again this will all depend on free agency. There are a couple guys available at DT that could eliminate this need for us early in the draft i.e. Daron Payne and Dremont Jones

Also depends on if and how far Poles would trade down from 1