GTD: Week 1 vs 49ers (Regime Debut -- Rebuilding the Tower Begins) AKA Capt Trey Lance Debate

JAF-N72EX

8 hours ago, HuskieBear said:

i didnt notice that at all, but daryl johnston getting every other name wrong was driving me crazy. you have one job dude

It amazes me how much the little stuff gets overlooked by some of the national guys. Neither Buck nor Aikman knew how to pronounce Albert O.‘s last name in the MNF game. That’s inexcusable. That’s literally the job.

5 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

It amazes me how much the little stuff gets overlooked by some of the national guys. Neither Buck nor Aikman knew how to pronounce Albert O.‘s last name in the MNF game. That’s inexcusable. That’s literally the job.

It never bothers me whenever announcers mess up names. You gotta think there are 2k players in the league and they have to learn and remember about half of them on-air to a live audience.  All of us would mess up too.  Especially names like Albert Okwuegbunam.

On 9/9/2022 at 7:29 PM, JAF-N72EX said:

This is what I expect as well.  Alot of heavy set motions to use as an extra blocker or chip blocks and break off to give Fields an outlet and/or check down option when the mid to deep routes aren't there. 

Worth noting, GB ran alot of 12 personnel last year (2nd most in the league) and that was without Tonya for half season. These were mostly used in the run game (43/57 Pass/Run rate) and were mixed up well on early downs to keep defenses off balance (37% on 1st down, 33% on 2nd, 6% 3rd down, 9% on 4th--not counting GL formation).

I have mixed feelings about this. One hand I'm all for doing whatever it takes keep Fields upright, but I just don't want these types of sets to become the norm either because the more skill players you use to block, the less targets there are for Fields and it puts them at a big numbers disadvantage in creating space.  Using this too much was one of my complaints with Nagy.

Put the lineman to the test. They gotta be able to win upfront without help at times.

I've started to go back and re-watch the game with all-22 and this is exactly what Getsy did.  I'm not finished yet (since I'm working while doing this) but I criticized Getsy's play calling in the 1st half during the game and I may owe him an apology.

The first play of the game will never get the credit it rightfully deserves IMO but I'm sure the coaches will be happy when they looked at this in film room tho).

This play resulted in an incomplete pass but if Whitehair wins his one-on-one battle then this is an easy 20 yard gain to Mooney.  I love this call for sooo many different reasons and I'll get into it.

First, here's the play from both All-22 angles and then I'll break it down on why I love this play call this so much.

gGEbiZa.gif

xEsvf4q.gif

***Each note pictured below is sectioned off by color coded and numbers to match routes/blocking assignments to make it easier to follow.**

nVIty0H.png

I love the idea of using extra blockers here with Kmet and Monty for several reasons.

1) Obviously Bosa is a beast. 

2) This is the very first play in a new system and giving OL extra help is better for them mentally to gain confidence as the game goes on (which we saw happen). 

3) Giving Mustipher help and not asking him to do too much is always best (never leave him one-on-one). 

4) This is was Braxton's first play on the big stage and giving him help with Monty gives him an extra sense of security.  It's also worth noting, Getsy obviously felt comfortable enough to leave him with Ebukam to his side. That's a good sign moving forward IMO. 

5) Using Kmet and Monty not only gives Fields one outlet receiver if things go sour, but it gives him TWO!

6) Take note Nagy. Monty was used here as an extra HELP and was NOT left alone on an island expecting him to block 275 pound defensive end on his own! See Nagy.... this is how you properly use extra blockers in a scheme.

I love the route concept against the defensive package here. 

Overloaded side against a cover 3 cloud package with one corner playing MOD (Kmet's side), the opposite playing M2M (following Pettis on the outside), and the nickel back playing spy and underneath coverage to protect curls/flats.

For one, this play call plays right into Fields' best trait as a deep passer and Mooney's trait as a deep threat.

Two, and most importantly IMO, the routes themselves makes sense with the field conditions.  None of the routes were based on hard cut backs. All of them were designed rounded routes to make sure the receivers didn't have to make strong cuts on a wet field and it still worked in theory! This is a good sign of a good OC. Also, keep in mind, Getsy didn't have much time to prepare for what he was actually going to deal with either until last minute and this being the first play of the game is impressive IMO. It shows that he pays attention to small nuances like these.

Three, the CB playing MOD on Kmet's side and the safety playing 1/2 were already taken out the play before the snap even happened and they didn't even know it.  Neither was never going to be a factor at all.  I always say, a good OC can design plays that can manipulate defenders an  take away as many away as possible and that's exactly what Getsy did here.

TL:DR;  This was a perfectly designed play and a great example of good play calling by staff but poor execution by players. Whitehair lost his one-on-one battle and it costs the offense 20 yards.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

It never bothers me whenever announcers mess up names. You gotta think there are 2k players in the league and they have to learn and remember about half of them on-air to a live audience.  All of us would mess up too.  Especially names like Albert Okwuegbunam.

I'd straight up start calling him AO if I struggled with the name. Complete cop-out but I'm not even bashful that it would be my cop out.

11 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

I'd straight up start calling him AO if I struggled with the name. Complete cop-out but I'm not even bashful that it would be my cop out.

To be fair Buck called him “Albert O” right away before butchering it later on. Woulda been fine with that too. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sugashane said:

He's been "Albert O" since Mizzou. I know how to pronounce it because I had 3+ years of college + recruiting to learn it. 

It may be the hardest name in the league to pronounce, even some who think they are doing it correctly arent

• Like 1