GTD: Week 1 vs 49ers (Regime Debut -- Rebuilding the Tower Begins) AKA Capt Trey Lance Debate

JAF-N72EX

17 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

This is what good coaching looks like.  Never missing an opportunity to teach.

What was the beginning of that route, I thought I saw some where that Jaylon Johnson wasn't targeted.

After reading through your other post (I didn't want to quote it since it was a long one) it's good to see things are getting coached through out the game and taught constantly. Personally for me most of that game I tossed out because of the weather, the things that stuck with me were the in game adjustments and the coaching discipline through out the whole game. Hopefully with more game experience the offense continues to grow.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, blkwdw13 said:

What was the beginning of that route, I thought I saw some where that Jaylon Johnson wasn't targeted.

Yeah, the WR was not Jaylon's responsibility on the play.  It was Roqaun's.  Jaylon just pulled off his coverage when he saw the ball was in the air and he happened to be the first man to come into camera view. 

Roquan was supposed to pick up the WR and follow as soon as he entered his zone (unless the WR goes deep middle then he passes it off to teh safety) but he was late to get there.  What made it work was that both LBers bit on the play-action and fake end-round and this froze them long enough for the WR to get over top of them on the crosser.  Aiyuk (bottom of screen) was the decoy and drew Jaylon and Brisker. Both played it right. Jaylon stayed on his outside hip and Brisker protected the middle of the field.

Give Shanny credit here.  It was well designed play.  There was a lot going on that made it look like a run. It was 2nd and 4 which is likely run situation (especially in these conditions).....3x1 trips bunch.....end-round....pulling TE to play side.  Hell, I know it was a pass and I'm still not 100% sure of myself lol.

Ucfckh8.png

DQgeVen.gif

OcJEaqj.gif

• Like 2

5 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

Yeah, the WR was not Jaylon's responsibility on the play.  It was Roqaun's.  Jaylon just pulled off his coverage when he saw the ball was in the air and he happened to be the first man to come into camera view. 

Roquan was supposed to pick up the WR and follow as soon as he entered his zone (unless the WR goes deep middle then he passes it off to teh safety) but he was late to get there.  What made it work was that both LBers bit on the play-action and fake end-round and this froze them long enough for the WR to get over top of them on the crosser.  Aiyuk (bottom of screen) was the decoy and drew Jaylon and Brisker. Both played it right. Jaylon stayed on his outside hip and Brisker protected the middle of the field.

Give Shanny credit here.  It was well designed play.  There was a lot going on that made it look like a run. It was 2nd and 4 which is likely run situation (especially in these conditions).....3x1 trips bunch.....end-round....pulling TE to play side.  Hell, I know it was a pass and I'm still not 100% sure of myself lol.

Ucfckh8.png

DQgeVen.gif

OcJEaqj.gif

I love this play concept. I hope Getsy steals this one and incorporates it into our playbook. Also, credit where it’s due - that’s a damn fine throw by Lance. He may have been able to make it easier for himself were he not staring the WR down, but his execution on a tight window throw was very good there. 

Edited by AZBearsFan
  • Like 2

On 9/12/2022 at 11:10 PM, JAF-N72EX said:

It never bothers me whenever announcers mess up names. You gotta think there are 2k players in the league and they have to learn and remember about half of them on-air to a live audience.  All of us would mess up too.  Especially names like Albert Okwuegbunam.

yeah, but they have a full week to prep for the game they're gonna call

• Like 1

3 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

Why was Jackson aimessly running backwards as fast as he could?

What do you mean, aimlessly?  He was essentially playing safety-nickel hybrid here --same with Gordon on the opposite side. His coverage assignment was protecting the flat against the screen (Deebo end-round), or if the TE doesn't stay in to block Quinn, or if the QB scrambles to his side.  He had his eyes on the QB and saw where he was throwing it and hustled to try an make a play on the ball.  Which wasn't realistic given the distance but I applaud the hustle nonetheless because if Jaylon misses and doesn't push him out of bounds then at least E-Jack has a chance to chase down the WR before he gets to full speed. Potentially saving 6 points.

10 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

I love this play concept. I hope Getsy steals this one and incorporates it into our playbook. Also, credit where it’s due - that’s a damn fine throw by Lance. He may have been able to make it easier for himself were he not staring the WR down, but his execution on a tight window throw was very good there. 

Agreed on the throw.  I also agree in hoping Getsy picked up on it. But first he has to keep TEs to block more on pass plays which he didn't in this game.

Fun fact: On all pass plays, the TE/RBs were only used for chip blocks and delays. There were only 3 pass plays in which the RB/TEs stayed in to block thru the whole play.  All 3 were in the 3rd Q.  One was Monty, the other was Kmet and Griffen double teaming the EDGE, and the other was Griffen and St Aquarius.  Getsy used the TEs a lot in run blocking though.

IMO, there is good and bad to this approach. The good part is, it shows Getsy had full confidence in his OL and he was right.  They played well after shaking of webs.  The OL only gave up 2 sacks against a really good defense and did it with very little help.  Both are good signs.  The bad part is that it makes the offense predictable.

I hope the logic behind this idea was that Getsy knew the Packers are going to be scouting this game hard (since it's his only game) and he hopes they expect it when the actual game plan is geared more toward the opposite. This is pure speculation but I can't imagine this will be an every day thing in his offense.  But we'll see.  I know I'll be watching for it.

Edited by JAF-N72EX

Speaking of TEs in run blocking.  I'm just gonna leave these here for all of those who may still believe Kmet is not a good blocker.

Outside of RT:  1 on 1 with the DE

peatXHI.gif

Herbert has a hole if he doesn't spend so much time dancing in the backfield.

QAOVCpJ.gif

Stops the free runner from making a play.

DQlv8Ay.gif

1 on 1 with Bosa.

R6Yp2yq.gif

Stops the free runner again.

ykWwxxH.gif

Seals off the edge to create the lane for a TD.

http://i.imgur.com/OebDW31h.gif

Roquan didn't have his best game.  He had a bad start riddled with mistakes ranging from; falling for fakes, couldn't shed blocks, not maintaining gap assignments, got caught out of position in pass, and even got pushed half way across the field before being pancaked by McGlinchey.  But he turned it up in the 2nd half--holdout rust maybe?? He started shedding blocks and making plays sidelines to sideline,  had 2 pass deflections, chasing down Lance (which isn't easy), and he practically held the 49ers to a FG by himself in 5-10 to goal situations.

Here are 16 plays that stood out to me --both the good and the bad.

GIFs incoming.