GDT - Week 1 - Patriots w/ the Heat Check

Deadpulse

1 hour ago, m haynes said:

Bet it was the sack late hit. He came off hurting.

Hopefully it’s “just” pain. Lingering back injury would be a death blow. 

I missed the game today, fellas. I’m going to watch it sooner or later but thanks for posting some notes & things for me to look out for.

A major dilemma on this team right now is how the skill positions are constructed (other than the OL of course) : 

- We paid big money for 2 TE's .. guaranteed Jonnu would be here ( I think he played fine) so we need to utilize 2 TE sets ( they did almost 50% today). I think they under utilized Jonnu tbo, he is great after the catch .. why aren't their more gadget plays with him? He should be good for 50 all purpose yards every game. 

- Henry is a safety valve ala Meyers.. but I wonder if they see him as upgradable (given that they restructured Smith instead of him). I don't know next years draft but would be curious is a stud TE is expected to come out.. they obviously like having an elite TE in their offense. 

- If you have 2 TE's out there.. you're probably only going to have 2 WR.. Sho which ones are you going to put out there? Apparently your 2 slowest ( Parker / Meyers) 

How are they planning on getting Bourne more touches? They never take Meyers off the field so it's not like he has a chance to replace him in the slot. Meyers played well and is sure handed.. but he's never going to be a game breaker from the slot. The worse thing they could do is extend him, but that's a different story. 

Agholor is who he is.. and they don't have a choice but to play him because Thornton is injured and Parker/Meyers are slow... but his fumble today is a perfect example of how he can give hope ( that deep pass Mac missed him on) and take it away just as quickly ( the fumble / the drop in OT against Dallas last season /etc.). 

They've got to be creative with the offense to make up for the lack of their starters speed. This is when the lack of OC comes into play... It's possible that the 2 TE sets were helping the run game do well .. but I'd feel much more confident with Bourne on the field.

At the start of training camp I was most excited to see Smith, Bourne and Thornton on the field together.. that's their most explosive grouping and could really help Mac with YAC. If by the end of the season they aren't trying to incorporate these guys together I'd consider that a major failure on their part. 

• Like 2

On 9/11/2022 at 8:22 PM, CP3MVP said:

The offense is what I like expect.

For the crap I gave the secondary pre season I thought they played well overall in this game. I wasn’t impressed with Tua at all

Tua is a limited QB. He is pretty good when there is little pressure, he can plant his feet, and throw a short-to-intermediate throw. He puts the ball in a good spot, and his receivers have a good chance to get yards after the catch. This plays pretty well in McDaniel's west coast offense. 

But...if you get any pressure on him- he's going to make some errant passes and risky plays. He also has zero velocity on the ball when throwing on the run. His mechanics really are not that refined- and that becomes amplified when he doesn't have a clean pocket. It also appears he struggles to go through his progressions and can hold onto the ball too long. He'll likely never be a QB that can take over a game like Mahomes/Allen/Herbert etc...unless his IQ + pocket awareness + mechanics drastically improve. 

I don't see it. I think he can become a good system QB like Alex Smith. You can win games with guys like that, but you need a great defense to go along with it and the odds of sustained success are drastically reduced. 

Edited by WizeGuy

If we are going to concede to history, that will be less than ideal... because that means Flores is about to beat them up too. 

0-2 will send New England into an 0-4 talk radio spiral... and if Kraft is listening to the outside noise ( and lower ratings) things could get real interesting. 

Having a top 15 defense and bottom 5 offense leads to some real boring TV. Any owner is going to much rather have the opposite. Would love to hear the inside story behind those conversations. 

Kraft Questions to BB. And the reason for the questions.

Explain why our passing game struggling, Especially the TE impact.------  I paid all that money for this!!!!

Why is Bourne on the bench ? He was your best WR last year. ------- Tell me its not for some petty BS!!!

What is going on with OL play?   ----------   They look like crap, and lack coaching.

Mac having a problems ?-----  He's the future and he looks frustrated and is struggling. Why don't we have a QB coach!!!

Hows Mappy P doing?  ----- Based on the results since the start of camp he look like he doesn't have a clue.

Bill do you need anything? ----  Means you better do something or hit the bricks. This is unacceptable.

Kraft Questions to BB. And the reason for the questions.

Explain why our passing game struggling, Especially the TE impact.------  I paid all that money for this!!!!

Agreed, Josh's offense wants Henry.. BB obviously loves Smith and wanted to transition the offense to Smith. Game 1 he's trying to make both work.. but quickly I think they will see that it won't .. they need one good and 1 elite to make this 2TE dominant offense work. They don't have that. 

The contract restructure shows that BB wants Smith to be the guy. Feels like Henry isn't in their future plans

Why is Bourne on the bench ? He was your best WR last year. ------- Tell me its not for some petty BS!!!

Yup, he's 100% asking this.. and why I expect Bourne to be closer to his normal 50% snaps this week

What is going on with OL play?   ----------   They look like crap, and lack coaching.

The benefit he has here is that Cole Strange played well.. so that's a plus. Maybe Trent Brown did extra bad because of the heat? 

Mac having a problems ?-----  He's the future and he looks frustrated and is struggling. Why don't we have a QB coach!!!

This is the one that I'm amazed Kraft didn't fight in the offseason. You can mess around with a lot.. but don't mess around with my QB coach.. he should have required a proper QB coach, even if BB wanted to mess around with play caller. 

Hows Mappy P doing?  ----- Based on the results since the start of camp he look like he doesn't have a clue.

Yup.. 

Bill do you need anything? ----  Means you better do something or hit the bricks. This is unacceptable.

I think with Kraft, his do you need anything would be more like " I think you are great but you've spread yourself way too thin... i'm going to force you to hire more people"

1 hour ago, Crimmage said:

I think with Kraft, his do you need anything would be more like " I think you are great but you've spread yourself way too thin... i'm going to force you to hire more people"

Ya that was part of it, I forgot to add.  This could be where BB and the Pats part ways.  Bill won't make the changes and he will insult Kraft by hiring a coach for the water boy!!!!  Really if he doesn't improve the staff and hire more qualified offensive guys, he gone.

Added  This is what drive me crazy. Just heard the Yates was in the press box in the 1st half!!!! So who the heck is coaching the OL while MP is playing OC!!!! Yates came down to the sideline for the 2nd half. You think!!!

54 minutes ago, m haynes said:

Added  This is what drive me crazy. Just heard the Yates was in the press box in the 1st half!!!! So who the heck is coaching the OL while MP is playing OC!!!! Yates came down to the sideline for the 2nd half. You think!!!

Apparently BB said he liked that strategy moving forward. 

I assume this to be for strategy purposes.. you come into the game with one plan.. have Yates analyze things from the box then at halftime work on major adjustments. Of course he still has a headset so he can communicate constantly.. but I assume that to be the theory behind it. 

We always knew that having your OL coach also call plays was going to be hard. We can only hope that Yates is really the OL coach and it's more a matter of them not wanting to give him the title until he "earns" it. 

2 hours ago, Crimmage said:

not wanting to give him the title until he "earns" it.

This is what drive me crazy.

This is 6th grade crap!!! BB being a D head. He coaches the OL but he hasn't earned the title????? Than why is he basically the  game OL coach if he doesn't have what it takes to earn the title. He the coach or not. Frigging stupid game. If he hasn't earn it get someone with the experience that does.

This is just like BB picking some who the  F- r - we,  in the 2nd RD !!!! Instead of taking 2nd rated player in the nation,  he take some HS kid!!

Edited by m haynes

2 hours ago, m haynes said:

This is what drive me crazy.

This is 6th grade crap!!! BB being a D head. He coaches the OL but he hasn't earned the title????? Than why is he basically the  game OL coach if he doesn't have what it takes to earn the title. He the coach or not. Frigging stupid game. If he hasn't earn it get someone with the experience that does.

This is just like BB picking some who the  F- r - we,  in the 2nd RD !!!! Instead of taking 2nd rated player in the nation,  he take some HS kid!!

Belichick obviously thinks the coaches can do their jobs are they wouldn't be there. The fact that he doesn't hand out titles means nothing except when other teams want to poach coaches from the Patriots staff, they aren't really sure who does what.