GDT - Week 1 - Patriots w/ the Heat Check

Deadpulse

Full Patriots - Dolphins Game Highlights | Week 1

First game of a new era of Patriots football (again) sans Josh. There are still SO many unknowns for this team. The secondary is going to be a lot of no names as McCourty continues to decline. The LB corp is going to be suspect underneath. The D-line is probably the only thing to hang their hats on going into week 1 with an offense that could look like anything. 

@m haynes @Crimmage @ToonPatriot @JohnCena @1ForTheThumb @ChazStandard @LaFellSBXLIXMVP @jofos @Starless @Hunter2_1 @SBLIII @PatriotsWin! @CP3MVP @Yin-Yang @dhunt2402 @Uncle Buck @LD696 @biggie. @scottishpatriot @Troy Brown @The Third Rider @IheartMyV8 @Dan33185 @Asciimo @mission27 @goldfishwars @Vachon777 @Pats#1 @lancerman @Iron_man @y*so*blu @SirA1 @Nex_Gen

• Like 7

Just want to see how they come out. This off season was probably one of the more underwhelming ones in years. So we should get a sense pretty early what type of season we are in. Kind of expecting a 2002 type deal with a bit of step back before they rev up under Mac (who hopefully takes a step this year). But willing to be cautiously optimistic.

Finally! Excited to see what the early team looks like, although we know what Weeks 1-4 usually look like for NE. Basically extended preseason. Even then, NE was apparently keeping things a little easy in camp in an effort to (successfully) stay healthy. That, and going to Miami + some new toys on their offense, seems like typical Week 1 offensive fireworks.

Things I’ll be looking out for:

- Who gets the looks when it counts? With a rough camp, does Bourne get the boot in 11 personnel? Does Bryant get the first crack at starting in the slot, assuming Jon Jones remains outside? Who gets the early opportunity to rush opposite Judon? 

- What’s the offense look like? I think (am afraid*) that the first month is going to look like an offense that’s forcing things but isn’t all the way there, before the team puts itself in a little bit of a hole and goes to what’s working. 

- Tons of new starters. Raekwon and Wilson at LBer, new look cornerback room, Uche/Jennings rushing, Strange and Onwenu starting full time at OL. Let’s see how they respond early. 

I'm optimistic about this team. I feel we added some good skill players from the draft. I hope we get to see a lot of Pierre Strong. I knew when I made that post about how he has played a lot of positions besides Running back, that Bill would probably like him. Miami is always a hard opponent but again, I'm optimistic about our team. Let's go!!!

3 hours ago, lancerman said:

Mac (who hopefully takes a step this year).

I actually expect Mac to regress a bit this year. IMO he overachieved year one in an offense designed to put minimal burden on his shoulders. I think this year is the stress test, and even if he performs well it will be a dip in his statistical performance. 

2 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

I actually expect Mac to regress a bit this year. IMO he overachieved year one in an offense designed to put minimal burden on his shoulders. I think this year is the stress test, and even if he performs well it will be a dip in his statistical performance. 

I could see a statistical dip. But I want to see improvement in decision making and more confidence and show the ability to take on more responsibility.

The two things I’m most worried about are The Offensive Line and how this secondary can perform in today’s NFL

the OL has been brutal, but if you remember last season, it started out pretty bad and improved by week 5 or so. All camp though, it’s been beaten like a drum 

the secondary is going to get a good test straight up against WaddHill. Let’s see how they get on.

There is only one thing that I'm looking for this week.

I'm looking at the front 7, that's it. IMO that the key to a successful season.  In today's NFL that's the only way to stop the offense in today's game.

Tua is average at best. He can't throw it more than 50 yards with looping the throw. If the Pats can get any pressure the secondary should have a field day.

I'm really excited the way the secondary looks and how they changed to speed and athletic players.  Zone with man is the way to go and with pressure and Tuas noodle arm. Like I said its all about the front 7 and getting pressure.

OL running game.

I have to think what we saw in camp will not be a prominent this week.  They were (over) running it in camp to work on it for the future. They will slowly add it in as we go.

If that's not the case we don't have a chance in heck to win this game.

The heat will wear down the defense.  Pats need to keep them off field so they have legs in the 2nd half.

2 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

How do you all think Hill will do? Will we be able to limit him?

In 4 games, he's won of few 'number 1' weapons that BB hasn't managed to successfully take away. Obviously it's different with Tua, but what do you reckon?

I look at it this way.  Tua at QB is like a extra defender on defense.

He can only throw 50 yards , you can close the cushion on Hill, with the 50 yard defender!!!   Tua has to release the ball early or Hill out runs the throw. Drastic difference without  Mahomes throwing over the top.

This is the last year for Tua. He will be up in the booth with Matt Linert shortly.  

Loop throw against scrubs . Look at Hill basically stops and falls down the ball is so under thrown

• Like 3

To me the biggest with this game is to not turn the ball over. Last year TOs were 5-1. That easily explains the losses. Tua has averaged throwing for 152 yards per game over his three starts against the Patriots, with 2 TDs and 2 INTs. Both TDs went to Waddle. If you look at Tua's top receivers against the Patriots in terms of yardage, two of those guys are now Patriots. Defending Hill with a young secondary is the only thing that worries me. However, all those nice completions that came from the Dolphins' training camp were against air with no one hitting Tua. 

There are a lot of unknowns in this game, but I feel like if the Patriots don't give the game away that they should win.

• Like 1

The problem with the whole “Tua can’t throw deep” and limiting Tyreek Hill stuff is that the Phins have had their way with NE the last couple seasons without Tua having to do all that much. He’s 3-0 vs NE but has never lit the defense up for huge numbers. So their noodle armed QB, with a crap OL, and nobodies at RB - have largely done well vs NE. Now you’re adding the best deep threat in the league, improved protection, and likely an improved running game. We’re past looking at Tua as some noodle armed QB that we can just smother in the front end and watch him throw the game away.

14 hours ago, m haynes said:

I look at it this way.  Tua at QB is like a extra defender on defense.

He can only throw 50 yards , you can close the cushion on Hill, with the 50 yard defender!!!   Tua has to release the ball early or Hill out runs the throw. Drastic difference without  Mahomes throwing over the top.

This is the last year for Tua. He will be up in the booth with Matt Linert shortly.  

Loop throw against scrubs . Look at Hill basically stops and falls down the ball is so under thrown

Yeah that's a TD with Patty Mahomey.