Week 1 GDT: Broncos at Seahawks

broncos_fan _from _uk

1 minute ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

That game against the Raiders in 2010, when we lost at home 59-14, Mac did a better job coaching than what Hack did tonight. If I’m Walton, I give Hack $20 for bus fare and fire him before the team plane departs from SeaTac. 

I have been lurking on this forum since 13(I am 28 now). IF you were in a position of power with the Broncos everyone that I can remember being involved with the team at any point would have been fired twice over.

1 minute ago, broncosfan07 said:

You just gotta take AAA somewhere in the middle, he can be heavy on the sarcasm while also being a Debbie downer. He would probably burn the stadium to the ground before letting McD coach a game for the Broncos. 

AAA will both acknowledge the bit with absurd sarcastic overreaction posts and then minutes later say the same thing but be totally serious. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, broncosfan07 said:

Defensively started rough but adjustments at half were fantastic just too many penalties. I liked what I saw but the LBs scare me without Jewell.

The secondary, the run D and the pass rush in the 2H were ALL great.  The ILB's suck.   I get Dulcich is a long-term investment at the position, but man, Nakobe Dean would have been better tonight as our Rd3 pick (but realize it's a loooooong time to make that call, not 1 game).

If we address ILB and actually play fundamentally sound with the talent we have there, it's looking up.   I do think PS2 playing off on Metcalf in the 1H was a massive mistake.  Hopefully Evero learned something there - he had PS2 up there in press in the 2H, and unsurprisingly, way better results.

Gregory in game shape, Browning more PT, and the pass rush should be OK.   The run D was strong outside of chunk play vulnerability (ILB, ILB, ILB).   Our coverage except ILB very good.  

The lack of discipline with penalties and missed assignments are the main reason I can't give anything but a B-, but it was a D first half, and an A- 2H for the D.

ST's and game management were C- and F, though.   

Edited by Broncofan

Just now, Broncofan said:

The secondary, the run D and the pass rush in the 2H were ALL great.  The ILB's suck.   I get Dulcich is a long-term investment at the position, but man, Nakobe Dean would have been better tonight (but realize it's a loooooong time to make that call, not 1 game).

If we address ILB and actually play fundamentally sound with the talent we have there, it's looking up.   I do think PS2 playing off on Metcalf in the 1H was a massive mistake.  Hopefully Evero learned something there - he had PS2 up there in press in the 2H, and unsurprisingly, way better results.

Gregory in game shape, Browning more PT, and the pass rush should be OK.   The run D was strong outside of chunk play vulnerability (ILB, ILB, ILB).   Our coverage except ILB very good.  

The lack of discipline with penalties and missed assignments are the main reason I can't give anything but a B-, but it was a D first half, and an A- 2H for the D.

Bad special teams and weakness at ILB the more things change the more they stay the same 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, bMiller031 said:

I’ve lived in Seattle for Russ’ entire tenure and no one worth listening to is saying that. Hes a top 5-8 QB and the breakup was a function of personalities clashing, philosophy, and control.  If you’re DEN you make the Russ move every time. If you’re SEA you probably have a new coach, QB, and GM within 24 months.

I disagree. It's all about timing. If you really think you're just one player away from the SB then you do it. We were never that close. 

3 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

So, for a guy that has averaged 5 carries a game for his career to have 1 carry for 2 yards doesn't seem a bit strange? To not call his number when we're inside the 5. No bootleg there?

Don't put words in my mouth. He can still play, we saw that tonight. I specifically mentioned his legs and running. If you saw something else let me know. 

You also said he's not the answer.    That's as ridiculous of a take after tonight.   

At least you acknowledge he can play.   There's zero misunderstanding on the others' part on the context IMO.

1 minute ago, Broncofan said:

The secondary, the run D and the pass rush in the 2H were ALL great.  The ILB's suck.   I get Dulcich is a long-term investment at the position, but man, Nakobe Dean would have been better tonight (but realize it's a loooooong time to make that call, not 1 game).

Man STs were at best a D for me. McManus made his easy kicks but the return game was sooooo bad on both ends. That was disappointing. 

2 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

You also said he's not the answer.    That's as ridiculous of a take after tonight.   

At least you acknowledge he can play.   There's zero misunderstanding on the others' part on the context IMO.

So why didn't we win? Needing 40-45 yards to get in FG range with 4 minutes left he put up 32.

Regardless of everything else during the rest of the game, TO's, penalties, etc when the game was on the line he didn't come through and make a play. That's what hes' paid for.

I remember when Vic Fangio first came in, one of his big talking points was eliminating death by inches. And while he certainly had MANY shortcomings as a coach, he was not wrong in his assessment. Tonight's game is a perfect example of what death by inches during the week can do to a talented football team on the field. We outgained Seattle by nearly 200 yards, doubled them in trips to the redzone, and beat them in time of possession by 8 minutes. And still lost. This happened because even though Hackett's offensive system is clearly an upgrade, the team was not mentally prepared for this game at all. The penalties, the turnovers, the inexplicable brain farts.. Its been many years since I've seen a Broncos team this psychologically unprepared to play a football game, and that starts and ends directly with the head coach.

I was concerned with how lighthearted and lackadaisical everything seemed at those Dove Valley practices this year; they reminded me way too much of the things I saw there during the Vance Joseph era. But I didn't say anything, because I didn't want to sound pessimistic before the dude had even coached a game. I was also concerned when he gave his starters the entire preseason off, but again didn't say anything. Well, it appears those concerns were all valid. If he learns from this, Denver can eventually be a great team again. The talent is clearly there. But damn.. they've got some work to do this week. Hopefully this embarrassing and inexcusable loss can serve as a wake up call.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

So why didn't we win? Needing 40-45 yards to get in FG range with 4 minutes left he put up 32.

Regardless of everything else during the rest of the game, TO's, penalties, etc when the game was on the line he didn't come through and make a play. That's what hes' paid for.

Because the HC took away the clock with 1:10 and let it run down and called for a yardage gaining play.

There's a reason why the others see it as a ridiculous take.    It's OK to have a minority opinion, but sometimes, a bad take is just a bad take.    You choosing to use the result to justify Wilson is not the answer when he & Jeudy/Sutton (and 3rd down fumble notwithstanding, Javonte) were the reason we stayed in the game on O, is just classic confirmation bias.   We don't have to agree, I'm quite happy to have Wilson on the team, and I'm willing to give Hackett & co time (his game management coach might want to update his CV, though).

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, 1234567 said:

I remember when Vic Fangio first came in, one of his big talking points was eliminating death by inches. And while he certainly had MANY shortcomings as a coach, he was not wrong in his assessment. Tonight's game is a perfect example of what death by inches during the week can do to a talented football team on the field. We outgained Seattle by nearly 200 yards, doubled them in trips to the redzone, and beat them in time of possession by 8 minutes. And still lost. This happened because even though Hackett's offensive system is clearly an upgrade, the team was not mentally prepared for this game at all. The penalties, the turnovers, the inexplicable brain farts.. Its been many years since I've seen a Broncos team this psychologically unprepared to play a football game, and that starts and ends directly with the head coach.

I was concerned with how lighthearted and lackadaisical everything seemed at those Dove Valley practices this year; they reminded me way too much of the things I saw there during the Vance Joseph era. But I didn't say anything, because I didn't want to sound pessimistic before the dude had even coached a game. I was also concerned when he gave his starters the entire preseason off, but again didn't say anything. Well, it appears those concerns were all valid. If he learns from this, Denver can eventually be a great team again. The talent is clearly there. But damn.. they've got some work to do this week. Hopefully this embarrassing and inexcusable loss can serve as a wake up call.

That's a good post. The season is hardly over and this could be a great wake up call. lets hope so.

I agree, this is about the worst prepared Bronco team I've seen for an opener. Lot's of things to like but more that need a lot of work. 

We've got a week to figure it out.