The Week 1 Thread: Jacksonville Jaguars vs. Washington Commanders, 1 PM Sunday on FOX

MikeT14

10 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

‪McKissic needs more snaps & I think Toney needs more snaps in 3rd & long over jag DE pass rushers like JSW & Toohill. Toney needs to be used as a situational pass rusher & they need to use JSW & Toohill on run down/2nd in short/medium.‬

I remember Toohill playing well enough yesterday iirc

12 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Come on what?  They did exactly what I said. 

They actively refused to improve the team to save a late 3rd round pick? We have no depth, poor starters at LB and nothing at corner behind Fuller and WJ3. The defense needed an infusion of talent and they chose to do nothing. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, lavar703 said:

They actively refused to improve the team to save a late 3rd round pick? We have no depth, poor starters at LB and nothing at corner behind Fuller and WJ3. The defense needed an infusion of talent and they chose to do nothing. 

They added a new starting QB via trade.  The new new Guards I already alluded to. They drafted a new starting RB. They drafted a new starting WR. 

Defensively, on the Dline they moved on from two expensive backups at DT and went with a younger cheaper group that can play multiple positions (I was a fan of both Ioannidis and Settle but they were DTs only). Several of the guys were late round picks we've taken in recent years and need playing time if they're going to prove anything. They also brought in Mathis to obviously replace Payne next year. At linebacker, they usually only have 2 on the field at a time, and Holcomb and Davis are entrenched starters.  In the secondary they (wisely imo) decided that the Safety situation can be addressed with late round draft picks.  They recently stole some young players at CB to add in for back end depth there. 

They did a lot to improve the team. To me the question is what is more valuable, a 3rd linebacker, 4th CB or a 3rd round draft pick?  100% a 3rd round draft pick.  Cause the starters were entrenched at those positions.  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

They added a new starting QB via trade.  The new new Guards I already alluded to. They drafted a new starting RB. They drafted a new starting WR. 

Defensively, on the Dline they moved on from two expensive backups at DT and went with a younger cheaper group that can play multiple positions (I was a fan of both Ioannidis and Settle but they were DTs only). Several of the guys were late round picks we've taken in recent years and need playing time if they're going to prove anything. They also brought in Mathis to obviously replace Payne next year. At linebacker, they usually only have 2 on the field at a time, and Holcomb and Davis are entrenched starters.  In the secondary they (wisely imo) decided that the Safety situation can be addressed with late round draft picks.  They recently stole some young players at CB to add in for back end depth there. 

They did a lot to improve the team. To me the question is what is more valuable, a 3rd linebacker, 4th CB or a 3rd round draft pick?  100% a 3rd round draft pick.  Cause the starters were entrenched at those positions.  

They improved on Defense yet how many times did the Jags get into the RedZone? Jags could've easily scored 28 points but their own mistakes cost them. This Defense hadn't played to the level of 2020 when they had Matt and Settle behind Allen and Payne. 

2 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

I remember Toohill playing well enough yesterday iirc

Yeah, he’s fine but like JSW as a pass rusher he’s more or less a jag. Toney brings extra speed & pop. He shouldn’t see a lot of snaps but will be more effective than them on clear pass rushing situations on 3rd & long or if a team is coming back from 10 plus points down.

I’m thinking like 10 snaps a game.

12 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

They certainly upgraded at QB and WR but outside of that I just don't agree with the rest. They created holes the roster didn't have and then filled them back in with former Panthers. Mathis is not anywhere close to the talent Payne is and our LBs might be the worst assembled group in the franchises history. Holcomb and Davis are only entrenched starters because the team chose not to do anything to upgrade even though they had plenty of opportunities. I mean, Jon Bostic is back on the roster. 

Wentz did Wentz things yesterday. First pick drove me crazy as he stared Dotson down on an out and that's a pick 9/10 if not 10/10 in the NFL. The second pick wasn't good by any means, but Trayvon Walker made a great play, that's why he was the #1 pick. I saw someone say Heineke > Wentz and it made me laugh quite hard because I can name about 5 throws off the top of my head that Carson made that Heineke couldn't make (could've been sarcasm and I hope it was). I would rather have a quarterback take some chances and give our play makers chances to make plays, than a quarterback that can't make all the throws and limits the offense, any day of the week. 

In typical Washington fashion, we made a game close that didn't need to be close, but they finished the job, and at the end of the year it doesn't matter how you won that game, you won the game. I didn't like how conservative we got on offense and it almost came back to bite us in the butt. 

Jaguars were 3-12 on 3rd down, that is a great improvement from last year, even though it didn't really feel like it. Gotta remember Kam Curl and Chase Young didn't play yesterday. You guys can take it however you want, but I'm going to enjoy this win because Wentz came back after 2 interceptions and won us the game. Also 313 yards and 4 touchdowns?? It was refreshing to me to finally get exciting offensive football. 

Just now, Scott Land said:

Wentz did Wentz things yesterday. First pick drove me crazy as he stared Dotson down on an out and that's a pick 9/10 if not 10/10 in the NFL. The second pick wasn't good by any means, but Trayvon Walker made a great play, that's why he was the #1 pick. I saw someone say Heineke > Wentz and it made me laugh quite hard because I can name about 5 throws off the top of my head that Carson made that Heineke couldn't make (could've been sarcasm and I hope it was). I would rather have a quarterback take some chances and give our play makers chances to make plays, than a quarterback that can't make all the throws and limits the offense, any day of the week. 

In typical Washington fashion, we made a game close that didn't need to be close, but they finished the job, and at the end of the year it doesn't matter how you won that game, you won the game. I didn't like how conservative we got on offense and it almost came back to bite us in the butt. 

Jaguars were 3-12 on 3rd down, that is a great improvement from last year, even though it didn't really feel like it. Gotta remember Kam Curl and Chase Young didn't play yesterday. You guys can take it however you want, but I'm going to enjoy this win because Wentz came back after 2 interceptions and won us the game. Also 313 yards and 4 touchdowns?? It was refreshing to me to finally get exciting offensive football. 

That was me. I was pissed and it was more hyperbole than anything else. 

• Like 1