Ravens and Lamar Jackson fail to reach long-term deal; Will revisit contract after season

RaidersAreOne

3 minutes ago, Danger said:

If his passing numbers remain at or around what they were last year, this season. I think his stock will fall and dramatically. People will see his sophomore season as a flash in the pan ALA Carson Wentz.

Sure, but that's not nearly the same thing as "his stock doesn't have anywhere to go but down". If he produces similarly to 2019 again all of a sudden last year looks like the outlier. Right now he could lose or make himself money this season based on how he performs. That's just the reality of the situation.

2 minutes ago, Ray Reed said:

Sure, but that's not nearly the same thing as "his stock doesn't have anywhere to go but down". If he produces similarly to 2019 again all of a sudden last year looks like the outlier. Right now he could lose or make himself money this season based on how he performs. That's just the reality of the situation.

MMMM, I guess it depends on where you think his stock is right now I suppose, or rather the widespread perception of his stock is.

My impression is that the general public and the league still holds him in high regard to where he'd still be getting paid in the vicinity of $45M a year. However I think he needs a rebound year to reaffirm that.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Danger said:

LaMar should've just taken the best agent he could find and cashed in now IMO. He can still point towards the injuries last year and keep his stock high. I don't think it has anywhere to go but down.

Just look at Dak and understand how much of what the Raven's do on offense revolves around Lamar's skillset. Worst case scenario, he gets injured and still gets paid top tier QB money either via a long term deal or the tag. Best case scenario, he has an incredible season and makes the Ravens feel comfortable offering him guaranteed money close to what Watson got. From Lamar's perspective, there really is not much downside here.

And let's not forget, prior to getting injured, Lamar was in the discussion for the MVP last year. That's how good of a season he was having, especially on the back of finally beating KC and that incredible come back performance vs Indy. So all this talk about him regressing is ridiculous. He's as good as he has ever been. If the team around him can stay healthy, the Ravens as a whole are as good as any team in the league.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Ray Reed said:

I'd disagree with this. His one knock has been a lack of real post season success. If he takes us to say, an AFC Championship game this year, there's really nothing you can point to as a FO to say "well he can't do ____" like they still can do now with his 1-3 postseason record.

If he has a better regular season this year (which in all likelihood he will IMO) and couples that with some playoff wins, his stock would definitely rise

I feel this is incorrect

He probably has around the worst Pass Blocking metrics of any RB

@NudeTayne, please confirm

Edited by malibuspeedrace
  • Like 2

Just now, RavensTillIDie said:

Just look at Dak and understand how much of what the Raven's do on offense revolves around Lamar's skillset. Worst case scenario, he gets injured and still gets paid top tier QB money either via a long term deal or the tag. Best case scenario, he has an incredible season and makes the Ravens feel comfortable offering him guaranteed money close to what Watson got. From Lamar's perspective, there really is not much downside here.

And let's not forget, prior to getting injured, Lamar was in the discussion for the MVP last year. That's how good of a season he was having, especially on the back of finally beating KC and that incredible come back performance vs Indy. So all this talk about him regressing is ridiculous. He's as good as he has ever been. If the team around him can stay healthy, the Ravens as a whole are as good as any team in the league.

Worst case scenario is he gets injured and plays bad, Huntley comes in and looks better, Lamar comes back and looks worse, Ravens miss the playoffs, finger-pointing ensues, Hollywood goes off in Arizona and it's leaked that he felt he was held back by gadget guy Lamar, that he was a diva. A lot could go wrong.

Either way, Greg Roman will have that offense purring.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, RavensTillIDie said:

MVP Conversation last year??

His passing numbers when he got injured were... bad.

He had 8 games with a passer rating below 90, and 1 game with a passer rating above 100. 
18 TOTAL TD to 13 INT (+2 Fumbles Lost)

I get there were injuries around him, but he was nowhere near MVP discussion last year. He very well could replicate the success he had in 2nd season this year, but if I'm a betting man, I think he continues to remain a mediocre passer who is the best dual threat of all time.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Danger said:

He had 8 games with a passer rating below 90, and 1 game with a passer rating above 100. 

I get there were injuries around him, but he was nowhere near MVP discussion last year. He very well could replicate the success he had in 2nd season this year, but if I'm a betting man, I think he continues to remain a mediocre passer who is the best dual threat of all time.

Ravens were the #1 seed in the AFC when Lamar got hurt despite everyone being injured around him and his stats not being great. He was absolutely in the MVP conversation when he got hurt, deservedly or not.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Danger said:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/32646561/nfl-mvp-watch-2021-ranking-top-candidates-risers-close-race-including-tom-brady-lamar-jackson

https://ftw.usatoday.com/lists/nfl-awards-mvp-lamar-jackson-kyler-murray-myles-garrett

https://sports.yahoo.com/nfl-betting-lamar-jackson-is-a-screaming-value-to-win-mvp-180746435.html

Try again.

• Like 4