Ravens and Lamar Jackson fail to reach long-term deal; Will revisit contract after season

RaidersAreOne

17 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

Eh, they've done just as much to make him a star. 

Lamar Jackson without an offense being tailored to his unique skill set wouldn't be very successful in the league. 

The Ravens draft pretty well and have done pretty good for themselves with far less exciting or physically gifted QBs. 

Mobile QBs with pretty poor passing skills have not usually worked out very well. RG3, Jake Locker, Kaepernick- all had unique skills that probably could or even should have been tailored to and given more of a chance than they got. Jackson has worked out because the Ravens invested and stuck with him. Elsewhere, he could have found himself riding pine already. 

I don't buy this narrative at all. There is no proof the Ravens did anything special schematically because we haven't seen any alternative. My "guess" is that the top offensive minds like Reid, Shanahan, etc would be able to build a scheme that works as well or better for him.

The Ravens gave him a great O-line one year (still a below average WR/TE/RB group overall) and he won MVP unanimously. 

They "stuck with him" because he was winning them games when before they were losing games. So kind and brave of them.

• Like 1

Still think Lamar went about this the wrong way. NOT that he didn't have an agent, represented himself but told the FO/world he'd play 2022 if no contract was completed before wk 1.

He should of went full Emitt Smith, I'm not playing until a contract is complete and put ALL of the pressure on that FO to get it done! The entire narrative all summer would of been completely different.

Be honest for a second. Why would the Ravens give him that massive contract if they weren't forced too?

To pay him $20M+ more a year? His $23M salary in 2022 goes to what? 40-50M? When he gets TAGGED next year for what 30M? Are they still not saving another 10-20M in 23'?

The Ravens FO IMO once they allowed Watson, Murray, ect to sign contracts before getting one done with Lamar are taking the Dak/Cousins approach. Utilize the 4th/5th year options/ Tag, Tag. We'll worry about 2025 with his style of play (Vick) and see where he's at physically. 

I can't think of any player with more to lose in 2022 then Lamar. He's a catastrophic Teddy Bridgewater type injury away from losing 100M.

The Raven couldn't afford a slow 0-2 ,1-3 type start to the season in the AFC. Something that easily could of occurred with Jackson holding out. 

Oh well. GL!🥃

Edited by Nabbs4u
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, Nabbs4u said:

Still think Lamar went about this the wrong way. NOT that he didn't have an agent, represented himself but told the FO/world he'd play 2022 if no contract was completed before wk 1.

He should of went full Emitt Smith, I'm not playing until a contract is complete and put ALL of the pressure on that FO to get it done! The entire narrative all summer would of been completely different.

Be honest for a second. Why would the Ravens give him that massive contract if they weren't forced too?

To pay him $20M+ more a year? His $23M salary in 2022 goes to what? 40-50M? When he gets TAGGED next year for what 30M? Are they still not saving another 10-20M in 23'?

The Ravens FO IMO once the allowed Watson, Murray, ect to sign contracts before getting one done with Lamar are taking the Dak/Cousins approach. Utilize the 4th/5th year options/ Tag, Tag. We'll worry about 2025 with his style of play (Vick) and see where he's at physically. 

I can't think of any player with more to lose in 2022 then Lamar. He's a catastrophic Teddy Bridgewater type injury away from losing 100M.

The Raven couldn't afford a slow 0-2 ,1-3 type start to the season in the AFC. Something that easily could of occurred with Jackson holding out. 

Oh well. GL!🥃

Yeah playing the good guy isn't a smart move in the NFL. It's a business, and one bad injury and he's out a boatload of cash. It's not like if he get's injured the Ravens will look into their hearts and give him a money contract because he was such a nice guy these last 4 years.

4 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

He's walking after this year I can feel it and I hate it so goddamn much.

I am starting to feel this way, too. Insane that it has come down to this. Go from the #1 seed in the AFC to last after you lose Lamar. Bruh should've been given a blank check.

Just now, malibuspeedrace said:

That thing is hideous...and will take a massive amount of time/inc to cover up when he bounces

Feathers are a pretty common tattoo trend though. He didn't go Ohio St and get the Ravens emblem or the words Ravens or Baltimore from what I can see. 

The football, though, that's a hideous tattoo as far as I'm concerned. But that would be an easy cover-up down the road if he chose to do so. That said tattoos are a "to each his own" for me. I've had artists love mine and hate them as not being Sailor Jerry traditional garbage. 

1 hour ago, wackywabbit said:

I don't

xkezzz3za14ypl1s_1586767464.jpg

Nothing about this tattoo screams distinctly "Ravens" to me. Sure, there's wings, but nothing to indicate they're of a Raven specifically. The only bird I can recognize clearly is the dove on the shoulder... in fact, I think it kinda goes out of its way to be something that wouldn't be out of place if he were playing for another team.

Regardless, my post is just a gut feeling based on the chatter I hear regarding his contract situation - namely, that his camp has not seemed like they're serious about negotiations, while the Ravens wanted him locked up to a longterm deal already. Perhaps he's merely betting on himself, or maybe he's playing hard to get in the hopes it will make the Ravens offer more. Either way, my gut feeling could easily be wrong, and as a Ravens fan, you likely have a better feel of this situation than I do.

11 minutes ago, RavensfanRD said:

I am starting to feel this way, too. Insane that it has come down to this. Go from the #1 seed in the AFC to last after you lose Lamar. Bruh should've been given a blank check.

I'd still be truly surprised if he gets traded. I don't see the great pressure on the Ravens. They can easily afford him on the tag and they don't really have anyone else coming up for a contract soon that would make it tight.