Ravens and Lamar Jackson fail to reach long-term deal; Will revisit contract after season

RaidersAreOne

5 minutes ago, RavensTillIDie said:
9 minutes ago, Danger said:

MVP Conversation last year??

His passing numbers when he got injured were... bad.

He had 8 games with a passer rating below 90, and 1 game with a passer rating above 100. 
18 TOTAL TD to 13 INT (+2 Fumbles Lost)

I get there were injuries around him, but he was nowhere near MVP discussion last year. He very well could replicate the success he had in 2nd season this year, but if I'm a betting man, I think he continues to remain a mediocre passer who is the best dual threat of all time.

Expand  

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/32646561/nfl-mvp-watch-2021-ranking-top-candidates-risers-close-race-including-tom-brady-lamar-jackson

https://ftw.usatoday.com/lists/nfl-awards-mvp-lamar-jackson-kyler-murray-myles-garrett

https://sports.yahoo.com/nfl-betting-lamar-jackson-is-a-screaming-value-to-win-mvp-180746435.html

Try again.

barney stinson burn GIF

3 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

bro they literally discredit your entire post lmao just take the L and move on

Just now, seminoles1 said:

Just take the loss. We all have been there.

First article:

He proceeded to throw 5 more picks while only accounting for 2 more touchdowns by the time he got injured from the time the article was written. And they cite a streak of scoring a whole 14 points? Wowee.

Second Article:

Same as above. LaMar Jackson's next two games were bad and meh.

Third Article: 

This was had 3 games remaining left in the season for LaMar at this time. 

But being in the MVP discussion at any point in the season means he was definitely right there through and through. 🙄 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

I get the impression Jackson doesn't want to be in Baltimore.

Yeah, it's a tough one. Lamar wants to be paid like a top DE, but the Ravens see him as an OLB. The real argument is whether Baltimore's hybrid defense plays more 4-3 or 3-4. The league may have to rule on it and then expect to see a contract shortly after. IMO this is a non-story.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Blackstar12 said:

Really don’t get this he’s helped that franchise tremendously and without him they’d be irrelevant.

Eh, they've done just as much to make him a star. 

Lamar Jackson without an offense being tailored to his unique skill set wouldn't be very successful in the league. 

The Ravens draft pretty well and have done pretty good for themselves with far less exciting or physically gifted QBs. 

Mobile QBs with pretty poor passing skills have not usually worked out very well. RG3, Jake Locker, Kaepernick- all had unique skills that probably could or even should have been tailored to and given more of a chance than they got. Jackson has worked out because the Ravens invested and stuck with him. Elsewhere, he could have found himself riding pine already. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Can you even "walk" in the NFL though? No chance the Ravens don't slap tags on him until they get a historic haul.

The Ravens would be set to be over the cap by tagging Lamar. I’m sure they could make more room, but it begs the question, do you want to walk into FA with Lamar holding a $45M price tag over your head? A non-exclusive tag would give them even more wiggle room, but it caps the compensation at two FRPs. 

The Ravens are a good team so I doubt that it happens that way, but hypothetically if they were to be out of the (realistic) playoff hunt by the trade deadline, I think it puts them in a pretty dicey scenario.