Ravens and Lamar Jackson fail to reach long-term deal; Will revisit contract after season

RaidersAreOne

5 hours ago, Yin-Yang said:

If I’m Baltimore, I absolutely do not want to be tagging Lamar and walking into free agency. At that point I’m asking myself if we’re going to commit to him or not because I’m not sure that I see the 2023 Ravens as SB contenders by basically filling out the roster with vet minimum contracts. They’re in a dicey situation, especially if this talk about wanting a longer, fully guaranteed contract are true.

Agreed. Them being able to take the hit does not mean it is a positive or advisable choice to do so.

16 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

I feel like this sentiment is only being said because people don't think Lamar is smart enough to negotiate a deal on his own.

I mean, yeah. I assume that. Why would I assume that someone in their mid-20s who probably majored in communications or liberal arts, knows how to adequately negotiate what could be a quarter of a billion dollar contract and structure it in a way that’ll be favorable to him? Compared to someone that does it for a living, has a long history of doing so with others players, and most importantly, can do it for me while I focus on my work? Maybe “smart” isn’t the right word, but experienced, knowledgeable, nuanced, etc. 

I wouldn’t assume most players are best fit to be negotiating their own contracts vs having an agent. Lamar’s in the same category as that 99%.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Vladimir L said:

Running qb don’t have a long life and trans figure then out eventually 

Dak is capable in the pocket that’s why it’s a different case 

Is Dak though? Not only has Lamar played more games the past two season then Dak but more games played in his 4 year career. 

Now is Dak closer to say a Donnovan McNabb type of QB, rather then say a Mike Vick absolutely. But he too tends to be reckless with his body given his size and Running ability. 

Lamar suffers from the same Stupidity Vick did. Supreme Athlete capable of turning water into wine but unfortunately never understood. Living for another play, sliding, getting out of bounds rather then making that extra cut will get you injured.

Guess we'll see if Jackson plays uninhibited or more timid this year without that contract worried about getting injured.

53 minutes ago, Forge said:

He gets to the AFC Championship this year we’ll probably give him that. If not he’s looking at 2 years of a tag and then whatever happens after that happens. That will have been 7 years in bmore...if he hasn’t at least reached a CC game by then maybe it’s just best for both parties if they both move on? Idk we’ll see.

57 minutes ago, Forge said:

I’m not saying that I blame him, but I can’t fathom walking away from that kind of money and betting on myself to that degree in a game where anything can happen that’s out of my control with other teammates or even on a freak injury level, especially with his game and skill set. That’s risky business IMO.

290m with 133m guaranteed is a pretty damn good offer. If Lamar wants 290m fully guaranteed, BAL should be smart and move on, either trading him or using him as much as they can and let him go. Love him but no player is bigger than the Ravens.

Giving him 290m fully guaranteed puts the Ravens in massive risk for almost a decade.

Lamar needs to realize that Watson's contract is an outlier from a dumb franchise. 

Unless he delivers a SB with a Flacco-ish post-season, I am ready to move on.

2 hours ago, bigbadbuff said:

If the Browns weren’t a completely inept organization Lamar would’ve accepted that deal. 

Lamar should’ve realized, it’s the Browns that are the outlier and teams aren’t going to be lining up to give that kind of contract in the future.

Kirk Cousins got a fully guaranteed contract in free agency. It's now happened twice. If Lamar is relatively healthy and hits free agency in 2 years, he will absolutely get a fully guaranteed contract.

2 hours ago, MWil23 said:

I’m not saying that I blame him, but I can’t fathom walking away from that kind of money and betting on myself to that degree in a game where anything can happen that’s out of my control with other teammates or even on a freak injury level, especially with his game and skill set. That’s risky business IMO.

I blame him for being a moron about it. A real agent would've likely gotten a better deal for him and it would be done. Now, he's no longer playing the contract game,  he's gambling.