BDL 2022 Week 1 - Flint Tropics @ Cancun Kaiju

RedGold

Who Wins?   

13 members have voted

1. 1. Who Wins?

• Flint Tropics
    • Cancun Kaiju

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/15/2022 at 04:59 AM

Another hard one to choose,  I think both offenses tear up the field.  Not because of bad gameplans, I think both units are just missing some pieces against 2 top notch offenses.    Ended up going with Flint,  in the end I think the Flint DB’s are able to make a few more plays. 

• Like 1

I really respect the effort the new guys put into this plan. I won’t knock them much on the Simmons thing as he is still playing a significant enough role. They have some great pressure players up front. I think this becomes a back and forth game in a high scoring affair. I like the defensive concepts of Cancun and they know their defenders and their capabilities. I like the use of the defensive stunts and utilizing Jordan and Rousseau inside on long distance downs. One thing I think is a bit much is this from Flint. I’m all about percentages and more bulk percentage formation usage but this takes away from some situational flexibility when you are this precise. Maybe that’s just me but that’s my opinion. 

25% of snaps – 1 RB – 1TE – 3WR
23% of snaps – 2 RB – 2 WR – 1 TE
15% of snaps – 2RB - 3 WR
15% of snaps – 1 RB – 2 TE - 2WR
10% of snaps – 1 RB – 4WR
6% of snaps – 1TE – 4WR
6% of snaps - 6OL - 1 RB - 2 TE - 1 WR/RB (largely goal-line or short yardage looks)

Now all my text is small like this hooray. Anyway I think JC Jackson being out is very significant and has a big impact on this outcome. Mahomes and friends seize the day at home. 

• Like 1

In the future maybe we'll just say other snaps at so and so position. It was basically to make the math work to 100 with only about 60ish snaps per game.

The 23% is all Truth though. lol. He wanted it a little less.

Edited by LAOJoe
  • Like 2

Just now, LAOJoe said:

In the future maybe we'll just say other snaps at so and so position. It was basically to make the math work to 100 with only about 60ish snaps per game.

It’s not the sole reason I voted against you just to be clear and I do appreciate that effort. I just think sometimes trying to cover too much like I have a problem with can actually hinder how the voters view the possible creativeness in your plan in their own mind and picturing how things will unfold if that makes sense. I get why you did it just giving some constructive input for the future. Up to you if you choose to use it or not. It is just one person’s opinion after all.

4 minutes ago, Scoundrel said:

It’s not the sole reason I voted against you just to be clear and I do appreciate that effort. I just think sometimes trying to cover too much like I have a problem with can actually hinder how the voters view the possible creativeness in your plan in their own mind and picturing how things will unfold if that makes sense. I get why you did it just giving some constructive input for the future. Up to you if you choose to use it or not. It is just one person’s opinion after all.

I wasn't even commenting on the vote. It is what it is. I have things I would like to say that I disagree with but once a vote's been cast it can''t change. I'll leave my opinions I disagree on for after the matchup. I'll say them win or lose.

• Like 1

This feels like the closest matchup I've read in a long time.  Great job @RTTRUTH, @LAOJoe, @Blue and @MWil23

Honestly this would be a tie if each team took their time in OT.  Unfortunately I don't think the first 2 possessions last the full 10 minutes.

So who has the best chance to get a stop and score on the second possesion.....I think it's Cancun, but damn I'm getting real picky to get to that point lol.  

Cancun 34-31

• Like 2

On 9/11/2022 at 2:24 PM, MWil23 said:

I DID use the sheet. The one on the rosters thread. If that’s not it then I’d recommend removing it tbh.

Not sure how the 2021 sheet got linked in there, thought I changed both the depth chart thread and main page one at the same time. BUT, the one you clicked does say 2021 roster on it so...you know...we can both take some blame.

• Like 3

On one hand, no Tre White.  On the other, no JC Jackson.  On the other, not starting Jeffery Simmons for Grady Jarrett.  On the other, so many pictures.

The CBs of Cancun look rough right now, I think Tre returning and Pitre growing into his slot role will really solidify their back end, but I don't trust Nelson and Davis.

Flint gets this one in a game that I think goes the other way if they play later in the season.

25 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

He's a fine 3rd DT to come in for 30% of the snaps or so.  But in no universe should he be starting over Simmons right now.

I think what Joe is getting at is the same as my belief.

Don’t look at it as starter vs backup. We have 3 guys we believe are top-10 interior players. Depending on what we believe the offense will try to do that week we may raise or lower a guy’s playing time by 10-15%.
But all 3 will always play a significant role for us, health permitting.

Some holes on both defenses. I think the OL let’s Mahomes down one too much. He should get plenty against a JC Jackson less secondary. I think we get a reversal of last years playoff with Allen getting a TD in the first OT drive to secure one for the road team.

Just now, RTTRUTH said:

I think what Joe is getting at is the same as my belief.

Don’t look at it as starter vs backup. We have 3 guys we believe are top-10 interior players. Depending on what we believe the offense will try to do that week we may raise or lower a guy’s playing time by 10-15%.
But all 3 will always play a significant role for us, health permitting.

You have a guy we all agree is top-10 interior player.  The other two I disagree with in terms of being top-10.  Imo, Simmons is a clear-cut above the other two and should be playing every snap you can get out of him, which is typically over 80% of the defensive snaps IRL.