Wide Receiver Outlook

MacReady

10 hours ago, cannondale said:

What's most impressive is that he is 6'-3". The downside is most receivers that big struggle with route running. Always impressed me with his catch radius and his Mickey Mouse hands (they look huge). I don't think he has ever dropped a ball. Thought he maybe could have been called for OPI on the TD catch, but it shows his physicality. I've always said I like him, but as a #3. Will be interesting to see how much more he progresses

Allison's hands are listed as an average-sized 9 1/2" on the Mockdraftable Spiderweb site. Davante Adams hands are smaller than that, at 9". Cobb's are 9 3/8".  St.Brown's are bigger at 9 3/4" and Valdes-Scantling has the big buckets, at 10" (same as Jamaal Williams). No idea what Kumerow's hands are.

For comparison, ARod's are 9 3/8", Favre's legendary big mitts were 10 3/8". Drew Brees and Russell Wilson both have 10.25" hands..............and Brett Hundley's were a monster 10.5".

1 hour ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

Allison's hands are listed as an average-sized 9 1/2" on the Mockdraftable Spiderweb site. Davante Adams hands are smaller than that, at 9". Cobb's are 9 3/8".  St.Brown's are bigger at 9 3/4" and Valdes-Scantling has the big buckets, at 10" (same as Jamaal Williams). No idea what Kumerow's hands are.

For comparison, ARod's are 9 3/8", Favre's legendary big mitts were 10 3/8". Drew Brees and Russell Wilson both have 10.25" hands..............and Brett Hundley's were a monster 10.5".

I feel like I know too much about these guys now...

1 hour ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

Why does this remind me of a certain president? Yuck. Let's move on. xD

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

I really don't care what speed GMo gets clocked at he gets behind DBs, did it again with Fuller. Just a savvy guy who gets it done. Won't ever get credit from the All-Sparq team crowd.

On vertical routes? No. That's quite possibly his first NFL reception on a vertical route (as the play was intended). That means we throw out the play where the Bengals DB slipped and 2nd reaction type plays. He's a decent player, but that's just not his game. 

Don't get me wrong, I was pleasantly surprised and impressed by the TD catch by Geronimo, but he also stuck his arm directly between the numbers of Fuller. That's why he was able to create separation. He doesn't push off, that's probably not a TD. 

5 minutes ago, Cadmus said:

On vertical routes? No. That's quite possibly his first NFL reception on a vertical route (as the play was intended). That means we throw out the play where the Bengals DB slipped and 2nd reaction type plays. He's a decent player, but that's just not his game. 

Don't get me wrong, I was pleasantly surprised and impressed by the TD catch by Geronimo, but he also stuck his arm directly between the numbers of Fuller. That's why he was able to create separation. He doesn't push off, that's probably not a TD. 

WRs push off on almost every vertical route. Just like you could call holding on every drop back. Hide it well enough and it's a savvy, vet move. He won deep in Detroit in 16, the sample size is small on him but when Aaron is QB, Allison performs, there's no arguing it.

1 minute ago, Packerraymond said:

WRs push off on almost every vertical route. Just like you could call holding on every drop back. Hide it well enough and it's a savvy, vet move. He won deep in Detroit in 16, the sample size is small on him but when Aaron is QB, Allison performs, there's no arguing it.

Of course WRs push off on vertical routes, but most don't push off and then create such little separation at the catch point. Allison got him good, enough to throw Fuller off balance, and Fuller missed the ball by a few inches. I never said it wasn't a savy move, but he doesn't score a TD there without it. 

Are you talking about the Crezdon Butler play? 

Allison performs? Like Jarrett Boykin peforms... It doesn't make him an overly talented WR or even guarantee him a roster spot beyond this season. Allison has struggled with vertical routes in TC, he has struggled in the preseason (in the past), and he did not have a good 1st half in the most recent game. He's not a bad player, but he's also not an overwhelming talent. 

9 minutes ago, Cadmus said:

Thats right - and that technique will have to be an enhanced / practiced part of his game. All's he's really missing is that 6th gear. So he's gotta be sharp with his routes, hand checking and body positioning vs the DB. Thats where he'll make his receptions - that plus ARs accuracy. He's not a big leaper. He's not a burner. But he's got suction cups for hands, has shown great footwork on both sidelines and an excellent catch radius.

He's not a primary target - but he's not a bum - and I'm personally hopeful he'll succeed in his role cause that'll be good for him - AR - the GBPs and their fans. Win-win IMO.

8 minutes ago, Leader said:

Thats right - and that technique will have to be an enhanced / practiced part of his game. All's he's really missing is that 6th gear. So he's gotta be sharp with his routes, hand checking and body positioning vs the DB. Thats where he'll make his receptions - that plus ARs accuracy. He's not a big leaper. He's not a burner. But he's got suction cups for hands, has shown great footwork on both sidelines and an excellent catch radius.

He's not a primary target - but he's not a bum - and I'm personally hopeful he'll succeed in his role cause that'll be good for him - AR - the GBPs and their fans. Win-win IMO.

So you agree with me 100%?

6 hours ago, Cadmus said:

Of course WRs push off on vertical routes, but most don't push off and then create such little separation at the catch point. Allison got him good, enough to throw Fuller off balance, and Fuller missed the ball by a few inches. I never said it wasn't a savy move, but he doesn't score a TD there without it. 

Are you talking about the Crezdon Butler play? 

Allison performs? Like Jarrett Boykin peforms... It doesn't make him an overly talented WR or even guarantee him a roster spot beyond this season. Allison has struggled with vertical routes in TC, he has struggled in the preseason (in the past), and he did not have a good 1st half in the most recent game. He's not a bad player, but he's also not an overwhelming talent. 

Ah, I really don't like that Boykin reference.  He was underwhelming and Allison has way better traits than Boykin.  Hes WAY more fluid.  He catches the ball away from his body.  He either has better size or he uses his size better than Boykin ever did. 
38a_complete_adams.gif

This route is Adams-like in the way he turns around his defender.  12 doesn't look his way, but this is an easy 6 points if he does.  

14 minutes ago, Cheech said:

Ah, I really don't like that Boykin reference.  He was underwhelming and Allison has way better traits than Boykin.  Hes WAY more fluid.  He catches the ball away from his body.  He either has better size or he uses his size better than Boykin ever did. 
38a_complete_adams.gif

This route is Adams-like in the way he turns around his defender.  12 doesn't look his way, but this is an easy 6 points if he does.  

Uhh....what are you talking about?

I never once compared Allison and Boykin as players. Follow the conversation.

I compared their relative opportunity in the offense.

Boykin "performed" because he had hands, knew the offense and was tethered to Rodgers. That's clearly what I meant by the Boykin reference if you also read the comment I responded to.

It was about opportunity.

Archived