Wide Receiver Outlook

MacReady

Allison has been a pleasant surprise.  Clutch time there he his getting the ball.  I don't believe he has dropped one pass yet this season.  Makes contested catches good strong hands.  No complaints with him.  Good thing I am not a GM got this one wrong.  Decent player.  Hopefully some of the rooks will get into the mix soon.  Would like to see these guys get some reps.  We will need to know more about them before the year is out.  Cobb's last year under contract.  As of now WR is still a need  going into the draft next year IMO.  3 shots on athletically gifted guys.  Have hopes 2 out of 3 pan out then we will be OK.  Would be nice not to burn a high pick on a WR next year.  Like the potential of all 3 but want to see it translate to the field.  Until they do can't be sure of what we have there.

40 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Are people still concerned by Geronimo?

This offense still needs a deep threat other than Adams as time moves on. Allison caught the deep one vs Chi but that was just a dime pass against solid coverage. Hopefully every week MVS will get a few more opportunities. He seems to be the rookie they are looking to the most. Otherwise Allison has been solid in his role. 

7 hours ago, Cadmus said:

Allison is keeping the seat warm. 

There's better talent behind him and eventually it will be impossible to keep that off the field. 

Not saying it happens this year, but it will happen sooner rather than later. 

I think there’s such a negative narrative on Allison that makes people think this. You hear all the time that ‘he’s slow’ and stuff; measureables are important but what’s more important are receivers who are getting open and making the catches they’re supposed to. Allison is playing tremendous ball and people are talking about replacing him and it just doesn’t make sense 

I was down on Allison heading into camp, but he has put it together.  Nothing wrong with having him at WR3.  The depth after Allison is the problem right now.  The group should be fine a year from now, but today I'm not sure anyone is ready to step into the WR3 role if/when one of the top 3 go down.  Hopefully one of the young guys (likely MVS) will see a handful of snaps each week to help build some chemistry with Rodgers.

The GBPs dont have an immediate front line need at the WR position. Injury may change that. They put out the second most % of CAP for the position (behind the Bucs). I'd like for the rookie WRs to "blend in" naturally. I'm not in the crowd that says rookie WRs cant contribute their first year - but understand training camp is over and the need is for W's at the end of the day.

Allison, who will be 25y/old in January of 2019 is on the last year of his contract - at $630,000.00 - and an RFA next year. I suspect the GBPs will see what the market price is before matching/beating it (or not). Least thats what TT would probably do.

What would you do?

Extend him during the season?
Sign him later?
Let him move on?

13 minutes ago, Leader said:

Allison, who will be 25y/old in January of 2019 is on the last year of his contract - at $630,000.00 - and an RFA next year. I suspect the GBPs will see what the market price is before matching/beating it (or not). Least thats what TT would probably do.

What would you do?

Extend him during the season?
Sign him later?
Let him move on?

Interesting question. I would NOT extend until late in the season, not because he didn't deserve to play the no.3 WR role this year (he did), but because of the potential talent coming through at the position. Waiting may mean he would hold out for FA, and the Packers could still bid for his services, depending on the price. By late season you should (hopefully) have seen more of how Moore, St.Brown and Valdes-Scantling are playing/learning, to determine their value, relative to Allison.

I would still like to keep Allison if the price isn't too steep, that reliability is very important for AR and MM, whether he continues as WR 3 or is deemed lower after 2018. If I had to make a bet on it, I'd guess if he remains on the team, he will still be WR 3 in 2019, with one or more of the young guys closing up through that year, and maybe a 50/50 chance that one eventually supplants him, late in the year. I am not good at guessing a wage for him. Maybe $3m to 3.5m per annum ?

A more interesting question to me is whether Cobb comes back.  All of the rookies seem to be equipped to play on the outside, and could be viewed as potential replacements for a departed Allison.  None of them seem especially well equipped to replace Cobb as the primary guy in the slot.

Archived