**2023 NFL Draft Prospects**

Texas_OutLaw7

9 hours ago, DaBoys said:

Continuing the trend of talking about players we haven’t really discussed… Isaiah Foskey is an interesting prospect. Now we probably haven’t talked about him mainly because we don’t need edge rushers. But if we are going to mention Nolan Smith and Will McDonald there’s no reason Isaiah Foskeys’ name shouldn’t be in the late first round DE hat. 

He was a top 210 recruit out of high school in 2019 and committed to Notre Dame. In 2022 Foskey broke Justin Tucks’ record to become the all time sack leader at Notre Dame. 

Weighing in at the combine at 60’51” and 265 lbs. His 34 inch arms are longer than that of Will Anderson, Trent Murphy, Jalen Carter, and Nolan Smith. He participated in every drill and ran a 4.58, which is pretty good for a long 6’5” 265 lb. guy:

I think the most interesting thing about Foskey isn’t his size, speed, weight combo or his high production numbers. It’s his… ball skills. Yes, a hand in the dirt DE that has insane ball skills. He is CONSTANTLY ripping/tearing/clawing at the football and is a strip sack master. You can see in the youtube video above almost every sack/tackle(and there are plenty to watch) he is ripping at the ball. The efforts haven’t been fruitless either. In 2021 he led the nation with SIX forced fumbles. He played in only 4 games as a true freshman but still managed to get his hands on the ball blocking a punt. In 2023 he would block his 3rd and 4th punts of his career. They guy just knows how to find the ball. 

He had 26.5 TFLs and 22 sacks in 25 starts over the last two seasons according to his player bio at: 

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/isaiah-foskey/3200464f-5308-1863-3f04-6cde65dd0aa3

Those are Elite production numbers if you’re wondering. That’s nearly 2 impact plays per game, which is incredible. His numbers/measurements at the combine were great, and he has that unique quality to find the football. At 265 lbs. If the Cowboys were to take him I have no doubt he could be a replacement for DLaw. Paired on the line with Parsons and Sam Williams our DL would be in great hands for years to come. 

isaiah-foskey.png

isaiah-foskey.png

Very well written and all in all accurate.

It's no secret that I am a bit of a biased opinion on ND prospects as that is where I played in my younger days. But Foskey is my favorite edge player in this draft. 

And it isn't just about how well he can get after the QB vs how well others in the draft get after the QB. It's about how well his game and his measurables translate into being the complete package in the NFL. He has the shifty short area movement to beat OTs and get the QB, surely. But he also has the size, strength, and proverbial "motor" to finish the play, regardless of the play type, every down.

And an edge rusher who can't (or doesn't translate as being able to eventually) penetrate against the run and gets stood up when engaged on a run play isn't worth a top round pick IMO. Because that essentially eliminates him from anywhere between 37 to 52 percent of the snaps, depending on the opponent. 

You don't have to worry about that with this kid. He can penetrate the gaps, he can set and maintain an edge, and he can disengage a blocker to make a grab on the runner. The kind of player you can leave out there on any down and any situation and not have to worry if he is going to be a liability, someone for the offense to target and run the ball right at. 

On top of this, his ability to get after the passer is about on par with many of the top pass rush prospects of the last few years. There have been others with more afterburner to their game, or those who possessed more twist in their hips and translate to a more consistent pass rush type at the next level. But those types often wash up faster than expected or fail entirely,  because of exactly what I said - they become a liability to have in there for close to half the game. And they never develop the know-how and grit to rush in the NFL either, as simply being fast and strong and athletic doesn't cut it as easily as it does in college. Got to have a bit more than that, and many never develop it. 

Don't have to worry about that here, either. This kid already rushes with the grit and knowhow, utilizing mechanics, leverage, and patience instead of just pure athleticism.

So all in all his game translates to the NFL extremely well as an all around edge player. Not just an edge rusher, but an edge player. The kind of player you can leave out there and never doubt. The kind of player you can draft and plug in right away.

Maybe I am biased...but I really think this kid has the potential to be very special, and at the very least, a solid pick and long term addition that secures a side of the line and has to be accounted for, or he will wreck your whole afternoon, shutting down runs, batting down balls, chasing down screens and probably nabbing a sack or maybe two in the process.

Drew Sanders is a lot more interesting than I expected him to be.

I’ve not been big on the idea of drafting an edge, because I expect anyone you get at #26 is going to be buried on the depth chart for a while, not making a difference.

Sanders isn’t an edge, but I think he actually can help our pass rush in the short term. He’s such a good pass-rusher / blitzer for a linebacker, and adding him would give Dan Quinn so many options for terrorizing QBs in passing situations.

He’s a bit raw as a true linebacker. Sometime a little slow to diagnose, sometimes misses some tackles. But the splashes are more than there, it makes you think it’s a matter of experience than ability. There’s definitely room on this team for him to make a big impact as a rookie, even if he’s only a part-time player at first. And he’s only 21. By the time he’s 24, I won’t be at all surprised if he’s a Pro Bowler.

I’m still team offense at #26. But Sanders wouldn’t be a bad pick.

• Like 1

Looking at the big board can kinda narrow things down I imagine. 
Looking at those 16-31 I really don’t see anything that jumps out as my choice out side of OL prospects.  I am not a fan of Flowers unsure about Addison.  Do not see Gibbs as the answer.  Banks Porter or Forbes are possible I guess but I think CB not in the teams plans this early

Thus I think it will be between who ever is available between OL Jones Wright or Torrence.  Unless we trade back a few spots 

38 minutes ago, quiller said:

Looking at the big board can kinda narrow things down I imagine. 
Looking at those 16-31 I really don’t see anything that jumps out as my choice out side of OL prospects.  I am not a fan of Flowers unsure about Addison.  Do not see Gibbs as the answer.  Banks Porter or Forbes are possible I guess but I think CB not in the teams plans this early

Thus I think it will be between who ever is available between OL Jones Wright or Torrence.  Unless we trade back a few spots 

What don’t you like about Flowers? Also, you didn’t mention QJ/Hyatt?

You playing Broderick Jones at guard?

We’ve talked a lot about potential first round picks, what about 2nd rounders? What are names you like at #58? For discussion’s sake, let’s be realistic—obviously guys like Avila, Forbes, Musgrave would be amazing. But I want to know who people like as realistic targets there.

Jonathan Mingo, to me, is a name that I really like in that range. Would love if he were a bit more productive, but if he were, he’d be a top 15 pick. Watching his highlights alone, you could reasonably think he’s the best receiver in the draft. He visited Dallas as a top-30.

Keeanu Benton is another. So disruptive against the run, and has some upside as a pass rusher. I love John Michael Schmitz - that guy can seemingly get a reach block on anyone, but Benton really made his life tough in their matchup. I haven’t seen much connection to Dallas, unfortunately.

Who else?

Edited by Nextyearfordaboyz

28 minutes ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

We’ve talked a lot about potential first round picks, what about 2nd rounders? What are names you like at #58? For discussion’s sake, let’s be realistic—obviously guys like Avila, Forbes, Musgrave would be amazing. But I want to know who people like as realistic targets there.

Jonathan Mingo, to me, is a name that I really like in that range. Would love if he were a bit more productive, but if he were, he’d be a top 15 pick. Watching his highlights alone, you could reasonably think he’s the best receiver in the draft. He visited Dallas as a top-30.

Keeanu Benton is another. So disruptive against the run, and has some upside as a pass rusher. I love John Michael Schmitz - that guy can seemingly get a reach block on anyone, but Benton really made his life tough in their matchup. I haven’t seen much connection to Dallas, unfortunately.

Who else?

I like coming around with Joe Tippmann at 58 after taking a skill player or defender (usually DL) in the first. Think he can hold down LG for a year before potentially moving to C in ‘24.

Other names I like are Tyrique Stevenson, Devon Achane, Cody Mauch, and Jack Campbell.

16 minutes ago, matt79511 said:

I like coming around with Joe Tippmann at 58 after taking a skill player or defender (usually DL) in the first. Think he can hold down LG for a year before potentially moving to C in ‘24.

Other names I like are Tyrique Stevenson, Devon Achane, Cody Mauch, and Jack Campbell.

Tippmann is a good name, I liked what I saw on tape! Would have loved to get some workout numbers to see if they really matched what was reported on Feldman’s Freaks. Is he dealing with injury?

Campbell would be excellent, but I really think we’re dreaming at #58 there. Love Mauch - I think long term he’s going to be really excellent, but I would be a little worried about his ability to plug-and-play at LG. I kind of doubt we’d take a runningback like Achane in round 2… Charbonnet probably more likely I think. Haven’t watched Stevenson yet, I’ll add him to the list.

Re: “Usually DL (in the first round)” - who? I have played it out a lot, seems quite unlikely to me.

Edited by Nextyearfordaboyz

11 minutes ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

Re: “Usually DL (in the first round)” - who? I have played it out a lot, seems quite unlikely to me.

Well I meant edge rusher + DT by DL, with the former more often than the latter. I would say I land one of Smith/Van Ness/Murphy/Kancey/Bresee around 30% of the time in the sims I’ve run.

1 hour ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

Who else?

In my simulations there are always some really good WRs left at 58. Part of the reason I’m not thrilled with WR at 26. You mentioned Mingo, there’s also Rashee Rice, Marvin Mims, Tanks Dell, Ced Tillman. If you haven’t watched a ton of Mims, he’s my favorite at 58. Can’t think of a better partner for Lamb than another OU WR. He was maybe the most productive highschool WR ever in the state of Texas. He had a very productive college career and a spectacular combine. 

My realistic draft right now is:(keep in mind my main goal in the draft is to get more explosive on offense)

1. Bijan Robinson

2. Marvin Mims

3. Atonio Mafi

I do think there is a very real chance all 3 of these guys go higher. But in simulations they are always there and I have a hard time passing them up. 

Take it a step further and go

1. Bijan Robinson RB

2. Marvin Mims WR

3. Atonio Mafi OG

4. Luke Schoonmaker TE

Weapons weapons weapons

Edited by DaBoys

17 hours ago, DaBoys said:

In my simulations there are always some really good WRs left at 58. Part of the reason I’m not thrilled with WR at 26. You mentioned Mingo, there’s also Rashee Rice, Marvin Mims, Tanks Dell, Ced Tillman. If you haven’t watched a ton of Mims, he’s my favorite at 58. Can’t think of a better partner for Lamb than another OU WR. He was maybe the most productive highschool WR ever in the state of Texas. He had a very productive college career and a spectacular combine.

A lot of the WRs being talked about in the 2nd round range don’t excite me very much. Like Rice and Tillman, to me, project as eventual average-to-solid #2s. Which is fine, but that just doesn’t interest me much in the second round this year. I’d be more than happy to see if they fell another round.

Mims is definitely an exception to that. I’m definitely fine with him at #58 and think he can be an impact player on offense. Historically, I’m not sure he meets Dallas’ thresholds, but they’ve put enough work in on smaller receivers that I can believe they’d be willing to take him.

Him and Mingo would be my main targets if we don’t draft one in the first round. Can be sold on Dell, too.

• Like 1