**2023 NFL Draft Prospects**

Texas_OutLaw7

18 hours ago, matt79511 said:

Well I meant edge rusher + DT by DL, with the former more often than the latter. I would say I land one of Smith/Van Ness/Murphy/Kancey/Bresee around 30% of the time in the sims I’ve run.

I do a lot of sims, too, and I see the same thing. But none of the tea leaves are pointing to DL for us.

If the NFL lets Nolan Smith, Myles Murphy, or Lukas Van Ness fall to #26 (which I strongly doubt), then you might just say thank you and take them. But you also might have a good trade back offer in that case. Breese would be a really disappointing pick, IMO, and while I like Cancey, I won’t believe Dallas would actually pick him until I see his name on the screen.

From Brugler’s 7 rounder:

Dallas Cowboys

1 (26): Michael Mayer, TE, Notre Dame
2 (58): Daiyan Henley, LB, Washington State
3 (90): Anthony Bradford, G, LSU
4 (129): Tyler Lacy, DT, Oklahoma State
5 (169): Jake Moody, K, Michigan
6 (212): Clayton Tune, QB, Houston
7 (244): Durrell Johnson, Edge, Liberty

9 minutes ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

A lot of the WRs being talked about in the 2nd round range don’t excite me very much. Like Rice and Tillman, to me, project as eventual average-to-solid #2s. Which is fine, but that just doesn’t interest me much in the second round this year. I’d be more than happy to see if they fell another round.

Mims is definitely an exception to that. I’m definitely fine with him at #58 and think he can be an impact player on offense. Historically, I’m not sure he meets Dallas’ thresholds, but they’ve put enough work in on smaller receivers that I can believe they’d be willing to take him.

Him and Mingo would be my main targets if we don’t draft one in the first round. Can be sold on Dell, too.

I really agree with all of this. But while I may not get goosebumps over guys like Rice, Tillman, AT Perry, Kayshon Boutte, Rakim Jarrett, and Trey Palmer there are a lot of people that do. Which makes me believe there are some teams that also feel that. That could mean a guy like Mims, Mingo, Dell, or even a guy like Downs or Hyatt might just be there. Not all of these guys will be good NFL WRs, but the plethora of WR prospects jumbled in the late first - late 2nd range leads me to believe someone with real WR talent will be there at 58. 

• Like 1

If it were a lottery drawing based on the amount of prospects projected to go in a certain range, I’d bet the BPA at each pick would be:

26: CB/DL

58: WR/DL/OL

99: RB/OL

26: Deonte Banks/Emmanuel Forbes/Cam Smith/Bryan Bresee/Calijah Kancey/Nolan Smith/Myles Murphy

58: Jalin Hyatt/Josh Downs/Marvin Mims/Jonathan Mingo/Tank Dell/Siaki Ika/Mazi Smith/Isaiah Foskey/Will McDonald/Steve Avila/Cody Mauch/Dawand Jones

90: Zach Charbonnet/Devon Achane/Isreal Abanikanda/Zach Evans/Tank Bigsby/Keandre Miller/ Sean Tucker/Chase Brown/Tyjae Spears/Atonio Mafi/Chandler Zavala/Andrew Vorhees/

• Like 1

On 4/16/2023 at 10:33 AM, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

What don’t you like about Flowers? Also, you didn’t mention QJ/Hyatt?

You playing Broderick Jones at guard?

Flowers small size, small catch radius, not good in zone are the main concerns.  He could be a great slot receiver for us I guess.   I would take QJ in a heart beat but doubt he makes it even close to us.  Hyatt is more a second round option to me if we go OL in first.  
With Jones ( prefer Wright) would yes probably try him at guard but if Steele is no longer the answer at OT then….    Either way Smith Jones Biadaz Martin Steele is a elite young (other then Martin) OL IMO with the other Smith as a starter tell he gets hurt 

8 hours ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

I do a lot of sims, too, and I see the same thing. But none of the tea leaves are pointing to DL for us.

If the NFL lets Nolan Smith, Myles Murphy, or Lukas Van Ness fall to #26 (which I strongly doubt), then you might just say thank you and take them. But you also might have a good trade back offer in that case. Breese would be a really disappointing pick, IMO, and while I like Cancey, I won’t believe Dallas would actually pick him until I see his name on the screen.

Can’t argue any of that. My thinking is, basically, IF they wait till Day 2 to address LG/the OL, then our first rounder ought to be the best available “playmaker”- most likely an offensive skill player, but potentially a defender. And I would lean pass rusher over DB if it came to that.

But I’d be far from surprised if they just carpet bomb offense with their first 3-4 picks. Any scenario with defender(s) in R1/R2 is something of a backup plan, I think

• Like 2

If we take TE at Rd1 with Micheal Mayer I still expect us to address RB in round 2.

You can't expect TP to be ready for a whole season workload and we can't rely too much on Malik Davis because honestly he hasn't showed he can handle that workload either.

I'd say for THIS draft waiting until round 3 even would be risky. 

Edited by canadaluvsdallas

52 minutes ago, canadaluvsdallas said:

If we take TE at Rd1 with Micheal Mayer I still expect us to address RB in round 2.

You can't expect TP to be ready for a whole season workload and we can't rely too much on Malik Davis because honestly he hasn't showed he can handle that workload either.

I'd say for THIS draft waiting until round 3 even would be risky. 

Meh.

This draft is loaded with RBs. I will honestly be pretty surprised if they draft one before round 3 or 4. That’s the range of the guys they’ve been looking hard at, and the list of RBs clearly worth a top-60 pick is 2 names long.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, matt79511 said:

Can’t argue any of that. My thinking is, basically, IF they wait till Day 2 to address LG/the OL, then our first rounder ought to be the best available “playmaker”- most likely an offensive skill player, but potentially a defender. And I would lean pass rusher over DB if it came to that.

But I’d be far from surprised if they just carpet bomb offense with their first 3-4 picks. Any scenario with defender(s) in R1/R2 is something of a backup plan, I think

I agree. Between Mayer, Washington, Kincaid, JSN, Flowers, Hyatt, and Johnston, I think there’s very likely to be an offensive weapon they’d take over the DL.

But my base case expectation is that they just go OL with their first pick, either at #26 or after a trade down.

53 minutes ago, Northland said:

Lots of speculation that Dallas is going TE in round one.  Fans on social media fan sites are losing their minds over the possibility.  I'm hoping Torrence is around at 26.  He'd be my choice.

A lot of tea leaves for TE. Fans are sold on FergeShot… honestly, I am too, I think they’ll be quality TEs. But they aren’t difference makers, and this draft has several who might be.

I’m a bit surprised by that lack of connection to Torrence and Dallas. But there aren’t many tea leaves out there. I’d be surprised at this point.

1 minute ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

A lot of tea leaves for TE. Fans are sold on FergeShot… honestly, I am too, I think they’ll be quality TEs. But they aren’t difference makers, and this draft has several who might be.

I’m a bit surprised by that lack of connection to Torrence and Dallas. But there aren’t many tea leaves out there. I’d be surprised at this point.

Personally I think Torrence is gone before 26.  I just have this wishful vision of Tyler Smith at LT and Torrence at LG.  Dominant left side for a decade.  On Sirius NFL they talked about how Torrence is an immediate plug in and play starter.  Charlie Weiss was quite impressed with him.  He felt that if Torrence had any tackle experience he might be the first OL taken.  I just think he will be the type of player who sets a physical tone from day one.

2 hours ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

Meh.

This draft is loaded with RBs. I will honestly be pretty surprised if they draft one before round 3 or 4. That’s the range of the guys they’ve been looking hard at, and the list of RBs clearly worth a top-60 pick is 2 names long.

Do we risk rolling with a lower tier RB in the draft if TP was to get injured?

How much does that screw our season? Good teams like the 49ers have decent 3rd or 4th RBs. You need to have depth right now at that position to last an entire season. Especially as much as we want to knock Zeke, but he was a complimentary running style that we knew would last throughout the season IF he wasn't overworked.

Sure pick round 3, 4 but what are the chances you find a player there where you have such high expectations for the performance of our entire offense if TP was going down?

Should we depend on that?

I think it's something we need to think about. It'll help us establish a consistent run game throughout the season which will greatly help Dak. 

It may sound like it makes sense for other teams to invest later in RB but does it make sense for us..?

Edited by canadaluvsdallas

37 minutes ago, canadaluvsdallas said:

It may sound like it makes sense for other teams to invest later in RB but does it make sense for us..?

I swear, this is the sort of twisted logic that led to us taking Zeke fourth overall in the first place- the idea that this team uniquely has to have a superstar bellcow RB because we’re the Cowboys, or something, and, like, making celebrities of our star players is somehow integral to the franchise

It’s silly when you put it that way but I swear that’s what y’all really mean by this. Like, you’re not even giving credence to the notion of other players/positions stepping up in the absence of Pollard. It’s all, myopically, about the dude with the ball.

Don’t get me wrong, if Robinson’s there at 26, go for it. Gibbs or Achane in the 2nd would be fun, though I’m not sure they’re quite what this team is looking for. A 3rd or 4th rounder like Bigsby, McBride or Roschon Johnson to mix in with Davis/Dowdle/RoJo seems to be the right nexus of need + value + ability to soak up 200 touches if needed

• Like 1