Week 2 GDT: Houston Texans @ Denver Broncos

paul-mac

3 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Either that game management guy is a moron or Hackett is too frozen to process the info and decide.   I’m fearful it’s the latter.   

I think the biggest issue is just slow decisions. When you’ve only got 40 seconds to a) decide whether to go for it/kick FG/punt, b) Call the actual play, c) get lined up and d) actually snap the ball, you can’t be wasting more than 3-4 seconds on the decision. You have to instinctively know the game situation and down and distance and almost have that decision made instantly. You can’t waste time thinking about what to do because it’s a delay of game penalty waiting to happen. 

• Like 2

Lets leave the "terrible" to VJ.  Fangio, for all his faults" did several things very well. 

His teams were always prepared to play. Few penalties and very few missed assignments. Outside of QB the position coaches did an exceptional job. His staff was excellent at developing young talent. Vic was a great DC.

Those items are pretty hard to dispute, so no, Vic was not terrible. Not much as a game day coach but excelled at teaching the kids how to play the game

48 minutes ago, paul-mac said:

I think the biggest issue is just slow decisions. When you’ve only got 40 seconds to a) decide whether to go for it/kick FG/punt, b) Call the actual play, c) get lined up and d) actually snap the ball, you can’t be wasting more than 3-4 seconds on the decision. You have to instinctively know the game situation and down and distance and almost have that decision made instantly. You can’t waste time thinking about what to do because it’s a delay of game penalty waiting to happen. 

Yeah that’s what I’m referring to in being frozen.  Hackett seems paralyzed by indecision.    The 4th and 2 where he finally called FG and the 4th and goal at the 1 at the end of the 2Q with 2 TO left are times you need to be decisive.   Even if it’s just to decide to call TO.   It’s so elementary yet it eludes him.   

It just seems like the game’s too fast for him right now.   The fact it’s happened again after he vowed he’d be better - well he wasn’t.   The only thing he did different this time was he let Russ try to win the game - but the 12 penalties, giving away that FG and the baffling hesitation in sending in plays, combined with the Beck run call - are why Russ needed to pull Hackett’s *** out of the fire again this week.   Coaching wise It’s  not reassuring….at all.  

Edited by Broncofan

7 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

1. Huddle based offense

2. System with crazy long play calls

3. HC and QB who both have a say in play calling

Its not hard to figure out why the play clock is a problem.

And no preseason reps to simulate actual game speed decision making / play calling.   

I’m not so sure we can attribute the injuries to no TC.   Injuries happen.  But we can definitely attribute our inability to decide on the play, get said plays into the huddle,  and be ready at the LOS in proper time to adjust and be in rhythm, on the lack of preseason time as a unit.  Unfortunately doesn’t seem like we’re taking even close to ready.   

Having said all the concern and angst on our coaching side - other than our ST it was actually encouraging for the pass rush, safety play and the skill players, especially in the 2H.    ILB and our ST / punt coverage still suck.   

Russ coming back with the last 3 drives (even if the first didn’t result in points) was really encouraging that it was all moving within the pocket.    It just sucks Jeudy likely  misses time.  He brings such a diff skill set that we don’t have elsewhere.   At least it’s not a fracture.  

Edited by Broncofan

There is a learning curve to everything.  Hackett and company definitely deserve a leash, but damn, this has been as poorly a coached team as I’ve seen. 

Even schematically (both sides of the ball)  it’s like they’re trying to reinvent the wheel.  Football is a simple game complicated by coaches and we have a young staff trying to win with scheme. 

• Like 3

End of the game is a great example.  We lined up in what I call “heavy” and had 3 TEs to one side of the formation on LOS, which I’ve rarely seen and especially never seen it ran 3x in a row for little gain….but it was more about we are smarter than you than what was a smart play call at those times.