Week 2 GDT: Houston Texans @ Denver Broncos

paul-mac

As for injuries, I am not going to blame that on training camp, especially given the nature of what the injuries appear to be. Can't really do much about a shoulder injury. That said, we are rapidly losing contributors. Jeudy. Hamler, Patrick, PS2, Simmons, Meinerz...that's not good at all. Hopefully we're looking for some WR depth because the murderers row of Sutton + a bunch of guys is not going to cut it.

13 minutes ago, broncos67 said:

As for injuries, I am not going to blame that on training camp, especially given the nature of what the injuries appear to be. Can't really do much about a shoulder injury. That said, we are rapidly losing contributors. Jeudy. Hamler, Patrick, PS2, Simmons, Meinerz...that's not good at all. Hopefully we're looking for some WR depth because the murderers row of Sutton + a bunch of guys is not going to cut it.

I was having a look at the free agency list but there’s really not much there at WR. Odell Beckham Jr is injured still. I think our offense is going to have to be a heavy dose of Williams and Gordon and then some jump balls to Sutton. 

Hamler I expect to play next week. 

We have what looks like a great defense.  Honestly, kudos to Mathis, dude looked awesome as a rookie CB filling in for Surtain, loved that.  And then you have Javonte averaging 7 years per carry and running folks over.  Why don't you shifted the GP to heavy running game, and let the defense do it's things.  The outcome may have still been 16 to 9, but the mind blowing indecision, delay of games, and bad play calling on the GL is horrible; pee wee coaches no better.

As a Bills fan, I feel kinda bad for you guys. Having Hackett as our OC for a few years was pretty terrible. I was very surprised when he got another shot in Jacksonville and then again in GB and let alone become a HC for you guys. He was bad in Jax after Buffalo, in GB it wasn't even him running the offense and now he's on to poison the 3rd offense he's running.

15 minutes ago, jsthomp2007 said:

We have what looks like a great defense.  Honestly, kudos to Mathis, dude looked awesome as a rookie CB filling in for Surtain, loved that.  And then you have Javonte averaging 7 years per carry and running folks over.  Why don't you shifted the GP to heavy running game, and let the defense do it's things.  The outcome may have still been 16 to 9, but the mind blowing indecision, delay of games, and bad play calling on the GL is horrible; pee wee coaches no better.

Paton looks absolutely generational in the draft lol 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, champ11 said:

Paton looks absolutely generational in the draft lol 

12 minutes ago, broncos67 said:

I saw someone on Twitter who was advocating firing the FO, including Paton, to hire Manning as GM. Broncos fans are somewhat delusional and don't understand how good Paton is.

The only thing Paton deserves criticism for is hiring Hackett, when guys like Daboll, O'Connell & McDaniel were available.   Even if they don't work out, it's clear they're a LOT more ready to be a HC than Hackett is right now.

I have always said HC's deserve 2 years to prove if they're good enough, and normally 3.  I think it was pretty clear VJ wasn't HC, nor Fangio TBH.   But I get the reasons why FO's wait 2, if not 3 years.

The thing is, this is unicorn where the team is talented, good enough to win games and yes, make the playoffs, and the HC is literally leaving points on the field.   And costing games.   And the things we're doing well, it's frankly due to talent, or areas where the coordinators are more responsible.  I think Evero did an amazing job with PS2, Simmons out and our ILB's a complete liability yesterday.   The scheme actually works on O when we decide to use our best players AND get the plays in early.   The reason why we're not is ALL on game-day management. And that's 100 percent on Hackett.

Ugh.

Just so we can all take a breath, but also take a sober look at Hackett's Week 1-2:

Week 1 - 12 penalties, can't get plays in early enough so it creates havoc, completely unprepared with no preseason reps together, and the single worst ever game management decision late in a game with 1:10, 3 TO's, and 4th and 2 at the 46 - for a 64 yard FG in a stadium that's never seen a 58-yarder, with a kicker that was 0-for-career from 60+.   Versus our O who had converted 60+ percent of 3rd downs (and much longer on average than 2).  And 3 TO's left to get ball back if 4th and 2 failed, with a SEA O that had -12 yards all 4Q (negative 12 yards).

Week 2 - 13 penalties, again can't get plays out on the field; can't decide on FG vs. going for it and leads to delay of game that wipes out made 55 yarder by McManus.    Can't even call TO in 2H with 4th and goal at 1 with 2 TO's in the pocket and 30 secs left.    Decides to go TE option on 3rd and 1 with said 6 YPC running game - and has no idea what to do on 4th and 2 for said FG-turned-delay.    On 1st and goal 2x inside the 5 and no Jerry Jeudy, decides to get cute and try misdirection pass 5x/6x (at least the one jump ball to Sutton was the right idea).    This time he lets Russ try to win the game on 4th and 2 and Wilson/Sutton/Wiliams and the D save his bacon.

UGH.

Hackett isn't getting plays in until there are 20 secs or less on the clock.   And some of the play calls are mind boggling. 6 YPC and you're calling an option with the TE Andrew Beck on 3rd and 1?    Calling for 5 passes inside the 5 yard line out of 6 tries with said running success and no Jerry Jeudy????  GTFO.    And that's before we get to TO management (not calling TO on 4th and goal at the 1 with 25 secs left in the 2Q...with 2 TO's in the pocket.  OMG SMH).  

The big thing to me are 4-fold:

1.  There hasn't been ANY improvement in preparedness from week 1 to week 2.  12 penalties, followed by 13 penalties.

2.  There hasn't been ANY improvement from Week 1 to Week 2 in getting plays in sooner.

3.  He can't anticipate any decision ahead of time, if it's not what he expected.   Not being able to decide after the TE option 3rd and 1 - it's like he had ZERO plan B, just "hey we're going to make it".  Literally no idea what to do next....then delay of game as a result of the late call.  And that's probably happening on half the regular play calls.  We see Wilson not get a play in on the headset until 20 secs or less at least half the time.  

4.   There hasn't been ANY improvement in crucial game management decisions; other than being more unsure what to do, and burning more TO's.

Those are ALL HC responsibilities.   That's crushing.  The injuries aren't his fault, and I'm not blaming pre-season rest either.  They happen, the ones that happened yesterday aren't changing with or without preseason.  And yeah, he should have had them out to get the rust and get their timing in and reps as a group - but I'm willing to forgive a one-time mistake he learns from.  So far, the problem is his game-management didn't show ANY improvement.  In multiple areas.  That's a massive problem.

Every coach normally gets a minimum of 2 years, and usually 3 years to show if they're the right guy.  But we've never seen ineptitude for in-game decision-making like we see with Hackett in their first 2 games.   Contrast that to Mike McDaniel, Kevin O'Connell and Brian Daboll (all 3 who I supported as great candidates to target) - it's disheartening.   

It's only 2 games, but it's literally the worst 2-game debut by a mile now.   Game 1 was probably outdone by Freddie Kitchens, but Week 1 AND 2?   Sorry, clear winner now.  We should be 2-0, but we feel lucky to be 1-1.  And that's with a team that's FAR more talented than last year, and with a decent HC & staff, feel good about playoffs.  Now we just cringe about what happens from week to week.  

If Paton knew OC Outen or even Kubiak & DC Evero could handle play-calling, then Hackett could be the very 1st coach to be replaced in-season year 1.   It's NEVER a good idea to go there - and I'm willing to wait - but if we get 2-3 more games like the first 2, it's actually going to be in the discussion.  The level of HC incompetence here is mind boggling, and never been seen.

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

If Paton knew OC Outen Outen & DC Evero could handle play-calling, then Hackett could be the very 1st coach to be replaced in-season year 1.   It's NEVER a good idea to go there - and I'm willing to wait - but if we get 2-3 more games like the first 2, it's actually going to be in the discussion.  The level of HC incompetence here is mind boggling, and never been seen.

Evero has proven himself capable yesterday - we haven't a clue about Outen or what he even does. We do have someone on the coaching staff that has experience of calling plays as an OC and he did a decent job - Klint Kubiak. We also have someone on staff with HC experience who could be asked to step in as interim HC - Dom Capers. I would then go and beg Dan Quinn to come to Denver next season because we have missed out on the other potential candidates.

I would give Hackett until the bye-week - but if there is no improvement by then I would be screaming for his head (and he can take Outen with him).

Edited by jolly red giant

16 minutes ago, jolly red giant said:

Evero has proven himself capable yesterday - we haven't a clue about Outen or what he even does. We do have someone on the coaching staff that has experience of calling plays as an OC and he did a decent job - Klint Kubiak. We also have someone on staff with HC experience who could be asked to step in as interim HC - Dom Capers. I would then go and beg Dan Quinn to come to Denver next season because we have missed out on the other potential candidates.

I would give Hackett until the bye-week - but if there is no improvement by then I would be screaming for his head (and he can take Outen with him).

I don’t know why my OP said Outen 2x lol.  Meant Outen / Kubiak.   But yes I’m in the same boat.  Def willing to give it more time but have to recognize we’re in territory never seen before in terms of horrific HC performance.   The lack of any improvement with so many areas is mind-boggling.   If it’s this bad each week there’s always the exception to the rule.   Hoping we won’t be having to discuss this by the bye week.  

Edited by Broncofan

I'd be VERY suspicious the team is masking the AC injury as a rib injury.   Shoulder doesn't go limp like that after being driven to the ground.  But with AC injuries it's about pain tolerance.    And yes, in the milder forms, you can play the week after (but can miss up to 2-3 weeks too).   Fingers crossed.

Jeudy & Surtain back, we have a real shot vs. SF.....if not for the coaching.   We went from a 2.5 pt favorite to pick 'em, and Vegas doesn't change the line that much for non-QB players.  It's ALL because they don't like what they are seeing from Hackett.  Hard to blame them.

3 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

I'd be VERY suspicious the team is masking the AC injury as a rib injury.   Shoulder doesn't go limp like that after being driven to the ground.  But with AC injuries it's about pain tolerance.    And yes, in the milder forms, you can play the week after (but can miss up to 2-3 weeks too).   Fingers crossed.

Jeudy & Surtain back, we have a real shot vs. SF.....if not for the coaching.   We went from a 2.5 pt favorite to pick 'em, and Vegas doesn't change the line that much for non-QB players.  It's ALL because they don't like what they are seeing from Hackett.  Hard to blame them.

I don’t quite understand why the odds makers and some here are taking the Niners so lightly. This is a team was in the NFCCG last year, after convincing road wins in both Dallas and Green Bay and have returned largely the same roster. With Jimmy G back, they have a steady hand at the wheel on offense and it appears Kittle will be back for this week. 

Even with us at home I’d put the line SF -5.5, at a minimum. We lost to a terrible Seattle team and just barely squeaked by at home against Houston, who is even worse. This game could very well be the third Sunday night clunker of the season, NBC execs can’t be pleased.