Week 2 GDT: Houston Texans @ Denver Broncos

paul-mac

34 minutes ago, germ-x said:

There is a learning curve to everything.  Hackett and company definitely deserve a leash, but damn, this has been as poorly a coached team as I’ve seen. 

Even schematically (both sides of the ball)  it’s like they’re trying to reinvent the wheel.  Football is a simple game complicated by coaches and we have a young staff trying to win with scheme. 

Agreed. Sometimes if you have a team beat with pure talent, then let your talent beat them. No need for gimmicky bullsh*t, no need to get cute. 

6 minutes ago, 1234567 said:

Agreed. Sometimes if you have a team beat with pure talent, then let your talent beat them. No need for gimmicky bullsh*t, no need to get cute. 

Come on why would you want a first with 6 YPC when you can have Andrew Beck get the first?   

If I’m Paton I’m certainly willing to be patient but I’d be having an AM chat with Hackett and let him know the scheme’s supposed to leverage the players’ ability first.   And trying to outsmart others with gadget plays is only needed if you’re the less talented team.   If you have the talent advantage no need to get cute.  

Edited by Broncofan

FWIW it should be recognized that Lovie Smith made 2 costly 2H decisions himself.  

First when we missed on 3rd and 2 Lovie declined a hold and left it at 4th and 2.   That was a lot easier to convert 4th and 2 whereas if he took the penalty it’s 3rd and 12; we get anything less than 8-9 yards we’re punting.    Then trailing by 7 Lovie decides to let 30 secs run out on their first 4th down to the 2 min warning.   

It’s pretty crazy that Smith’s game management mistakes would normally by the focus post game.   They just pale compared to Hackett’s gaffes.  

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

For all the rightfully earned scorn the coaching staff is getting - I will give DC Evero & the secondary coach full marks - first no Simmons, then no PS2… and our ILB coverage still sucks.   

But even with the above - no problem.    I liked what the CB’s and Locke/Sterns showed.   Mathis run support in the open field saved a couple of potentially big runs by Dameon Pierce.    And of course Gregory (shouldn’t forget to mention Dre’mont made at least 3 splash plays too in 2H).  Credit where it’s due.  

If Evero can exploit JimmyG’s tendency to capitalise on the 3-4 TO worthy throws he often gives (esp throwing to the boundary) it would help a lot.    While he can run the whole playbook more effectively overall the lack of dual-threat ability helps us out given how much our ILB play is struggling.    Evero vs. Kyle/JimmyG going to be a big matchup to see where he’s at. 

Edited by Broncofan

1 hour ago, 1234567 said:

True 60 years ago, true today. Games are won and lost in the trenches. The players know that. Our OL is pretty good moving forward. Let 'em feed. With a running game averaging over 5 ypc how can we not score in the RZ.

Run heavy,toss in a naked bootleg, sprintout............ Wilson favorites. Going to gimmicks sucks the life out of an OL.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, germ-x said:

End of the game is a great example.  We lined up in what I call “heavy” and had 3 TEs to one side of the formation on LOS, which I’ve rarely seen and especially never seen it ran 3x in a row for little gain….but it was more about we are smarter than you than what was a smart play call at those times.

I really hate that formation. Not sure I've ever even seen a Bronco's team line it up.

Thinking outside the box, thats for sure. Gotta remember there's a reason for the box.

Look for the positives and be happy about them. Our D hasn't lost a step from last year , even after firing the entire staff. Just my opinion but I think having Dom Capers and Bill Kollar on as consultants has a lot to do with that. So far, nothing but kudos' for Ejiro and staff. Their inexperience hasn't harmed us a bit and we may have found a goldmine in Ejiro. Anyway, as a unit, coaches and players, they've made Vic and staff almost negligible. 

Funny we find ourselves in this spot. I would never have guessed. I thought the offense would be piling on points and defensive failures would kill us. Absolutely not so.

Lets not paint with a broad brush. We've got a tale of two teams and the offense/st's aren't doing their part, same as last year. D is just fine so far. 

I'm trying really hard to find something good to say about Hackett but coming up short. I doubt he survives the season. HC's can lose a team really fast. He may already be there. Who knows, look at it at the bye. 

I liked Kubiak for an OC before we hired hackett, still do. IMO his dad is the better of the Shanahan/Kubiak duo. Unless we resurrect a potent offense before the bye I'd be looking at some changes. Fire Hackett, promote Capers to interim HC, elevate Kubiak to OC. 

Anyway, that last is just conjecture. Point being, we seem to have retained our D, and O and ST still suck. hackett was hired to specifically change that. So far the results speak for themselves. We should be an easy 2-0 and we're not. If we're not above .500 before the bye a change is due. That's not much to ask for the easy part of the schedule.

• Like 1

I never wanted Joseph as HC - far too much inappropriate baggage in his off-field history. He was brutal and I would have been happy to see him sacked within two games.

Fangio I was willing to give time - and experienced HC, a dominant defensive mind and a coach who always had his team prepared to play.

I was excited to see what Hackett could do when he came in - the polar opposite of Fangio. The problem is that he is the complete polar opposite of Fangio - far less experience, the offensive scheme is a mess and his team isn't prepared. In fact the only thing he has in common with Fangio is his p*ss-poor game management.

The biggest problem is that he doesn't seem to have learned anything since the debacle in Seattle - like he didn't make any mistakes. 

This team has talent - and Wilson is a mega upgrade at QB even if he hasn't played particularly well. I think part of the problem with Wilson is Hackett, his play calling and his complete indecision.

I am usually in favour of giving a new HC time - but the HC has to show he is learning and so far Hackett hasn't. It may be only a week - but you would expect to see some recognition of what went wrong in Seattle and some improvement yesterday. The fact that this didn't happen does not bode well for the future.

The Broncos have three more games before the bye - if Hackett doesn't show a marked improvement by the Colts game then I am fully on board with sacking him right after the game. I think the suggestion of getting Capers in as interim HC and promoting Kubiak to OC would be the way to go for the rest of the season.

Last thing - I said after Fangio was sacked that Paton's tenure at the Broncos would be determined by his hire at HC and how he sorted out the QB problem. He has made a splash at QB and I am optimistic it will work out - but his decision at HC looks far from good at the moment. Aa AAA pointed out - we didn't interview even interview McDaniel - but the decision not to go with Dan Quinn or Kevin O'Connell looks a very bad one at this point (and remember both of these were the finalists with Hackett). You have to wonder what Paton saw in Hackett over those two - or was he just swept away with Hackett's exhuberence.

Edited by jolly red giant

6 hours ago, germ-x said:

There is a learning curve to everything.  Hackett and company definitely deserve a leash, but damn, this has been as poorly a coached team as I’ve seen. 

Even schematically (both sides of the ball)  it’s like they’re trying to reinvent the wheel.  Football is a simple game complicated by coaches and we have a young staff trying to win with scheme. 

It’s crazy because if Hackett was just normal bad, the majority of Bronco fans would be happy to give him a learning curve pass. He’s been soooo incomprehensibly bad that it’s impossible to give him that pass lmao I have never seen incompetence like this. I almost feel bad but at the same time you need to be qualified to be in his position.  

Crazy thing for him is that he made those loud errors on the national stage. Non zero chance that he never gets over that reputation if he can’t make it with the broncos long term. Absolutely wild start to the career and the team needs to start clicking for him to win the fanbase over. 

Expectations were likely too high and should be tempered - but stuff like no punt returner and consistent delay of game - not acceptable. 

At least we got the win. Defense looks solid. Pray for health 

28 minutes ago, jolly red giant said:

I never wanted Joseph as HC - far too much inappropriate baggage in his off-field history. He was brutal and I would have been happy to see him sacked within two games.

Fangio I was willing to give time - and experienced HC, a dominant defensive mind and a coach who always had his team prepared to play.

I was excited to see what Hackett could do when he came in - the polar opposite of Fangio. The problem is that he is the complete polar opposite of Fangio - far less experience, the offensive scheme is a mess and his team isn't prepared. In fact the only thing he has in common with Fangio is his p*ss-poor game management.

The biggest problem is that he doesn't seem to have learned anything since the debacle in Seattle - like he didn't make any mistakes. 

This team has talent - and Wilson is a mega upgrade at QB even if he hasn't played particularly well. I think part of the problem with Wilson is Hackett, his play calling and his complete indecision.

I am usually in favour of giving a new HC time - but the HC has to show he is learning and so far Hackett hasn't. It may be only a week - but you would expect to see some recognition of what went wrong in Seattle and some improvement yesterday. The fact that this didn't happen does not bode well for the future.

The Broncos have three more games before the bye - if Hackett doesn't show a marked improvement by the Colts game then I am fully on board with sacking him right after the game. I think the suggestion of getting Capers in as interim HC and promoting Kubiak to OC would be the way to go for the rest of the season.

Last thing - I said after Fangio was sacked that Paton's tenure at the Broncos would be determined by his hire at HC and how he sorted out the QB problem. He has made a splash at QB and I am optimistic it will work out - but his decision at HC looks far from good at the moment. Aa AAA pointed out - we didn't interview even interview McDaniel - but the decision not to go with Dan Quinn or Kevin O'Connell looks a very bad one at this point (and remember both of these were the finalists with Hackett). You have to wonder what Paton saw in Hackett over those two - or was he just swept away with Hackett's exhuberence.

Dan Quinn was not the sexy hire but we’re definitely 2-0 with him or any nfl coach that knows what they are doing 

Few further thoughts after a nights sleep:

- We're overthinking it Offensively, no doubt. If Hackett called that 2nd fade route to Sutton on the goal line, he needs his head testing. I could understand (but vehemently disagree) with a QB wanting to feed his star WR, but you are the HEAD COACH - call a run play to the RB who is averaging 7 yards a carry, then lets celebrate 7 points.

I get it, you have your $240m QB in his first home game, and you want him to show out. But you've got your #2 (Patrick), #3 (Jeudy) and #4 WR (Hamler) out - RUN THE BALL. Stop being so cute. If we ran the ball 3 times out of I-formation there, nobody in the world is blaming Hackett for not getting in. 

It just felt like we were forcing everything and there was very little 'flow' to the Offense as a whole until about midway through the 3rd. That's just way too late. 

Andrew Beck speed sweep? No. Just no. The Packers called a much, much better version last night which had Dillon lead blocking for Jones on the sweep for a TD. Why couldn't we do this with Williams blocking for Boone?

- Penalties. They just have to stop. Needless crap too. The Sutton personal foul, the Gordon personal foul, Andrew Beck with TWO special teams penalties. Not good enough

- I was too harsh on the Defense last night. 9 points given up, no matter how you cut it, is excellent and without your best two players too (Simmons, Surtain). Still not convinced by Chubb but Gregory looks an all-world athlete out there. I thought Singleton played well too, which is encouraging. I think it could be him and Jewell next week

- We just can't ignore the gaffs from a Head Coaching perspective. The delay of games is nothing short of embarrassing. I thought the crowd thing was funny for like the first two times, then you're just helping the Defense tee off on our QB - not cool, but that's me being a grumpy old man telling kids to get off my lawn.

To use 3 timeouts with 8 mins left in the 4th, none of which were of tactical use, is scary bad. That's just not a good sign, is it? @AKRNA has been talking about his concerns of the inexperience of this Coaching staff all offseason - can we really dispute this as being 100% legitimate now? 

We needed the win and got it. But we took a step backwards this week, make no mistake.

Well first, we needed the win, and as they say in golf, there's no pictures on the scorecard, so that kind of applies to this game. I am not at all happy about how we played, but I will take 1-1 because 0-2 would have been a disaster.

First, the good. All things considered, I think the defense looks good. I know we've played two bad teams, but we've allowed 13PPG and in the NFL that's still an accomplishment. Evero seems to have things together for now. Gregory was tremendous. Dre'Mont Jones was tremendous. I thought Singleton had a surprisingly good game, and I was impressed with Damarri Mathis stepping in for PS2. 

Now for everything else. Hackett looks so far out of his depth it's not even funny. First, there's too many cooks in the kitchen offensively. Figure out who is calling plays and get them called. The sheer number of penalties this team is taking, particularly process penalties like delay of game, illegal formation, etc, is just out of control. Most of that is on coaching - period. The time management is still wildly inept and I can't for the life of me understand how it can be this bad.

I have no idea what the playcalling for this team is at the moment. The RBs are averaging 6 YPC, so let's completely take the ball out of their hands in a close game with Jeudy hurt. What? The red zone playcalling is a complete and utter disgrace. Stop running plays in shotgun. Stop running with Andrew Beck. Just ram the ball down their throats with one of the two RBs we have who are equipped to do just that. Maddening stuff. Either Hackett needs to give up playcalling duties to Outten, or they need to come up with a clear line of communication because whatever is going on now is atrocious.

Special teams continues to be gross. Waitman looked horrendous. Washington was a bit better but made one or two weird decisions on the field. Penalties galore. Just another day in Denver.

The home fans counting down the play clock was probably one of the most hilarious things I've ever seen. Hopefully it gets the message through to Hackett. I'm not from Denver but I've come for games twice and it is as die hard a football town as there is, and the honeymoon period is officially over. He needs to get out of his own way immediately.