Week 2 GDT: Houston Texans @ Denver Broncos

paul-mac

I'd like to think most people know I'm pretty measured with my opinions and rarely jump the gun when giving mine.

That said, that was maybe the worst Coaching performance I've ever seen. The guy looks like a UDFA rookie QB that has no business being in the NFL.

The delay of game to then Punt .... Woof.

I'm not that sure we even played well Defensively. If Mills hits a wideeeeee open Cooks for the TD, it's a totally different game.

Honestly, this team has some serious issues. 

• Like 4

58 minutes ago, Griff254 said:

I didn’t think it could get worse than Vance or Vic….it’s only the second game of the season but to get as many delay of games and ridiculous penalties is insane

Vics teams were always among the least penalized and best prepared.

• Like 2

#5 is one of the biggest freaks in the league. I know everyone feels ****ty about the team right now but I am happy to see Gregory off to a nice start after the front office was hammered for the signing by a lot of fans. That’s going to end up a great “buy low” deal for Paton.

Edited by BroncoBruin
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

#5 is one of the biggest freaks in the league. I know everyone feels ****ty about the team right now but I am happy to see Gregory off to a nice start after the front office was hammered for the signing by a lot of fans. That’s going to end up a great “buy low” deal for Paton.

as well as good talent evaluation by Paton. 

What's crazy about this.. I swear I remember reading that Hackett brought in a guy who's sole job was game management. Like, for the express purpose of not allowing these kinds of miscues. The Broncos are also now the most penalized team in the entire league with 25 infractions for 206 yards over the first 2 games. 4 delays of game. 6 false starts. Absolutely unreal how mentally unprepared this team is. If this doesn't tighten up soon, we're gonna get dog walked BAD when we finally have to play a contender.  

• Like 1

4 areas to be hopeful / grateful: 

-After an absolutely atrocious 1H, the O found life in the 2H again.  Wilson / Sutton / Williams were so clutch.    The number of key conversions Russ had in the last 3 drives was exactly what we were hoping for.    And again it’s from the pocket.  

-Cleveland & Hinton & Saubert came up with big plays when they had to.  

-Randy Gregory was an absolute terror.   Such a disruptor when healthy.  

-The secondary recovered from PS2 going out and not having Simmons.  

On the down side:

-We can’t afford to lose either PS2 or Jeudy for extended periods of time.  They are that important to us.   

-ST was again bad.  Washington fixed his side but the rest was bleh. 

-Again we couldn’t get plays in on time.  That delay of game was awful.   Not using a TO with 2 left and 4th and goal at the 1 was again incompetent.   The game is simply too fast for Hackett right now.  

-12 penalties again.   So unacceptable.  

-Hackett’s indecision to trust Russ & the O the first FG / delay of game-turned-punt was nuts on 4th down….combined with the “too cute” on that Beck jet sweep and not going power inside the 5.  I was relieved he gave Russ a chance to win it on that last 4th and 2. 

Talent wise we should be 2-0.   Coaching wise we’re lucky to be 1-1.    And yes there’s time to improve.   It’s only year 1.  But now we’re definitely at the worst 2-game start coaching wise I can recall.  

We will need to get some guys back and be MILES better to win games from now on.  

1 minute ago, 1234567 said:

What's crazy about this.. I swear I remember reading that Hackett brought in a guy who's sole job was game management. Like, for the express purpose of not allowing these kinds of miscues. The Broncos are also now the most penalized team in the entire league with 25 infractions for 206 yards over the first 2 games. 4 delays of game. 6 false starts. Absolutely unreal how mentally unprepared this team is. If this doesn't tighten up soon, we're gonna get dog walked BAD when we finally have to play a contender.  

Either that game management guy is a moron or Hackett is too frozen to process the info and decide.   I’m fearful it’s the latter.   

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

It was an ugly win, but thankfully we managed to pull it off. 

I thought the players largely played well today. Defense has only given up 13 PPG so far (and no TDs in the last 6 quarters) and there were some stars on offense with Sutton having one of the games of his career and both RBs (especially Williams) looking good. Wilson was poor in the first half but much better after he figured out the Texans defense.

The thing that let us down was dreadful coaching. I don’t necessarily mean the play calling, that itself was fine, but just generally being asleep at the wheel. Poor 4th down decisions, being unprepared with the punt returner, multiple timeouts burned and delay of game penalties etc, not letting McManus kick a 59 yard FG when his 54 yarder was good from 65-70 (literally the opposite of last week’s mistake, suggesting Hackett is overcompensating for previous errors)

Hackett has to learn to be an NFL head coach. And fast. I really think a big issue is inexperience across the staff (props to @AKRNA who’s been all over this problem for months). It should be borderline compulsory for every rookie head coach to have a former NFL coach as one of his coordinators, just as a voice of reason and sounding board in the room. 

• Like 1