Browns vs Steelers post game 5 up and 5 down

Kiwibrown

16 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

Garrett is way down. I don’t want to hear his name in the dpoy discussion again. 7 tackles in 3 games. That’s trash. I don’t want to hear about being double teamed. Every star end gets doubled teamed. Make a play. 

They did all they could to take him out the game. Last week Joe Woods took him out with those soft coverages 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

Garrett is way down. I don’t want to hear his name in the dpoy discussion again. 7 tackles in 3 games. That’s trash. I don’t want to hear about being double teamed. Every star end gets doubled teamed. Make a play. 

Wut? Garrett is the reason everyone else around him makes plays. He sucks up at least 2 players…typically 3. You might not want to hear about double and triple teams, but he wrecks and limits game plans with his skill set. You can’t ever block him 1-1. He is what will help us cover these damn TE’s by forcing them to stay in to block. He is what allows Clowney to work 1-1 all game long. He is the reason CMC wasn’t out there running a ton of routes and had to chip/release.

Idc if he wins DPOY or not, but to call him disappointing is absurd. 

• Like 10

54 minutes ago, BetterCallSaul said:

Wut? Garrett is the reason everyone else around him makes plays. He sucks up at least 2 players…typically 3. You might not want to hear about double and triple teams, but he wrecks and limits game plans with his skill set. You can’t ever block him 1-1. He is what will help us cover these damn TE’s by forcing them to stay in to block. He is what allows Clowney to work 1-1 all game long. He is the reason CMC wasn’t out there running a ton of routes and had to chip/release.

Idc if he wins DPOY or not, but to call him disappointing is absurd. 

If scrabble can’t see it in a box score it didn’t happen 

• Like 4

Up:

Chubb and Hunt continue to be great, especially late in games.

Jacoby played even better than he did vs the Jets. Made some really good throws.

Cooper proving that he's been the #1 receiver we needed. Minus the lapse in concentration where he ran out of bounds and the last throw to him, he had another great game.

Njokiu. I still expect him to disappear again, but he had a very good game.

Down:

ST, minus a great punt to close the game.

We only gave up 17, but I still don't trust the defense and Woods. Pittsburgh did everything they could to take Garrett out of the game and Woods had no response to find ways to generate pressure. I dread to think what a good offense would do to us.

Dumb penalties still screwing us.

Injuries to JOK and Walker. Wills too, but he came back at least.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DawgX said:

Jacoby played even better than he did vs the Jets. Made some really good throws.

No clue what he’s looking for contract/career wise, but man I’d love to sign him as our long term backup.  He’s not great by any stretch, but he’s not a huge liability either.

1 hour ago, DawgX said:

Cooper proving that he's been the #1 receiver we needed. Minus the lapse in concentration where he ran out of bounds and the last throw to him, he had another great game.

Jesus lord in heaven does that man know how to run routes and get open.  Could have closed out the game at the end, but Brissett absolutely rifled that pass to his back shoulder.  Tough catch.

1 hour ago, DawgX said:

Njokiu. I still expect him to disappear again, but he had a very good game.

Like most TEs he’s gonna be open, just need to throw the ball.  He should get 20 targets a game imo, but that’s mostly because he’s on my fantasy team.

1 hour ago, DawgX said:

ST, minus a great punt to close the game.

The only time our special teams are successful is when a player makes a great play it seems.  We never scheme anything up that makes me say “damn, nice play design”

1 hour ago, DawgX said:

We only gave up 17, but I still don't trust the defense and Woods. Pittsburgh did everything they could to take Garrett out of the game and Woods had no response to find ways to generate pressure. I dread to think what a good offense would do to us.

for all the **** some folks are giving Garrett, he was getting blocked in waves while Trubisky rolled out away from him.  At that point someone else needs to step up.  In this case I’d have started sending pressure off of the other edge.  Gotta make them pay for double/tripling Myles.

1 hour ago, DawgX said:

Dumb penalties still screwing us.

Multiple 12 men on the field simply can’t happen. I like Stefanski and can appreciate the level headed demeanor, but we’re past the point of someone needing a boot in their *** for some of this stuff.

1 hour ago, DawgX said:

Injuries to JOK and Walker. Wills too, but he came back at least.

JOK looked like a pulled groin.  Hopefully it’s not too bad. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Multiple 12 men on the field simply can’t happen. I like Stefanski and can appreciate the level headed demeanor, but we’re past the point of someone needing a boot in their *** for some of this stuff.

The second penalty when they panned over to him and he rolled his eyes and shook his head was as close to angry as I've seen him. I think it's pretty clear that Stefanski is heavily involved in the offensive day to day, playcalling, personnel, and logistics. The next step for him is going to be shoring up the defensive side and special teams in terms of expectations for players and staff. He may actually delegate too much and defer too much to his staff there.

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

for all the **** some folks are giving Garrett, he was getting blocked in waves while Trubisky rolled out away from him.  At that point someone else needs to step up.  In this case I’d have started sending pressure off of the other edge.  Gotta make them pay for double/tripling Myles.

Absolutely. It's time to blitz from the opposing side of Garrett. We did some things last year where Garrett dropped into coverage and we sent a blitz away from him. Worked very well when we did it. Let's do a little more of that as the season goes on. It's tough to deal with that.

As far as Walker getting hurt...sucks for him. However, I don't think he's very good and I don't think that hurts our defense really at all. If anything, he's a C+ whereas Phillips is a C. A very marginal step down. Tony Fields looked good though! I liked him coming out of college and he's done nothing to dispel my belief in him yet. He just hasn't seen a lot of time, as he's JOK's backup.

UP

1) Stefanski - Great Playcalliing - Keep the QB sneaks coming

2) Oline/Chubb/Hunt - We typically do not run well against the Steelers, Kudos to the big uglies and our backs 

3)Cooper - His route running is perfect for this time based offense

4)Njoku - Fought for every yard and played up to his contract

5)Team - No dumb penalties and was engaged the entire game

Down

1)Special Teams - Get your sh** together Priefer 

2)Ward - Kept everything in front of him but didn't play like a top 10 Corner

3)Pass Rush - Injuries or just tired? We need more

4)End of 1st Half Drive - Show more urgency. Play to score a touchdown

5)Thursday Night Games -Love/Hate Relationship - Love that we get football on Thursday, hate it because the players are phsycially not at 100% and usually a watered down version. 

I would say that Myles Garrett really made an effect on the game on a handful of plays but for the better portion of the game I would have to agree that he wasn’t the type of factor we want out of a dominant player like him. Not a concern to me though, he’s still going to be a 15 sack guy and still just have a few stretches where he is not a factor we would like him to be. Top-five defensive player in the game even still because of the force he is when he is a factor.