Browns Interested In Peyton Manning?

bzane

Read that and thought it was to start at QB....would have been the Browniest thing, outdoing all the previous Brownie things.

For an executive, I must say I like the decision. I feel like he's an ultimate competitor and professional and would not settle for anything less than the best.

I would love it so much if Peyton went into an executive type role.  What the Browns are doing is stupid dumb.  Having all the draft picks in the world won't mean crap if you don't know how to use them, and using a first round pick on a tight end when you haven't had a QB in 20 years isn't showing that they know how to use the picks. 

I don't want those people to have the ability to use the picks they've amassed.  They should be removed and let somebody else actually use the picks they've traded for.  It's not like the Browns are cursed, it's that they compound mistakes by dumber mistakes compounded by internal power struggles. 

18 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

I would love it so much if Peyton went into an executive type role.  What the Browns are doing is stupid dumb.  Having all the draft picks in the world won't mean crap if you don't know how to use them, and using a first round pick on a tight end when you haven't had a QB in 20 years isn't showing that they know how to use the picks. 

I don't want those people to have the ability to use the picks they've amassed.  They should be removed and let somebody else actually use the picks they've traded for.  It's not like the Browns are cursed, it's that they compound mistakes by dumber mistakes compounded by internal power struggles. 

The 1st QB selected after the Browns selected Nojoku (and Peppers) was Kizer who they got in the 2nd anyway. If you want to complain about them not getting a QB you really should say they were stupid to get Myles Garrett and not a QB at #1.  That was the pick when they could have selected any QB they wanted.

Just now, Thomas5737 said:

The 1st QB selected after the Browns selected Nojoku (and Peppers) was Kizer who they got in the 2nd anyway. If you want to complain about them not getting a QB you really should say they were stupid to get Myles Garrett and not a QB at #1.  That was the pick when they could have selected any QB they wanted.

You're not getting my point.  It's not that they took a tight end instead of a QB, it's that they wasted a first round pick on a tight end when they don't have a confirmed good QB to throw to him. 

My issue is with the fact that they spent a first round pick on a tight end.  You don't spend first round picks on tight ends period, much less when you're a team trying to build itself up to be a playoff team for the first time in 20 years. 

And no, I shouldn't complain about them not taking a QB instead of Garrett.  Defenses win championships, and Garrett has elite defensive potential.  Pass rushers have literally won Super Bowls for teams.  They're CRUCIAL building blocks to getting to the playoffs and winning in playoffs.

How many times has a tight end been a crucial element to a team getting into the playoffs?  It doesn't happen.  Tight ends (and receivers for that matter) are luxury positions.  If you take a tight end in the first round, you deserve to suck.  If you take a receiver in the top 20, you deserve to keep sucking.  The Browns have done both in back-to-back drafts. 

26 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

You're not getting my point.  It's not that they took a tight end instead of a QB, it's that they wasted a first round pick on a tight end when they don't have a confirmed good QB to throw to him. 

My issue is with the fact that they spent a first round pick on a tight end.  You don't spend first round picks on tight ends period, much less when you're a team trying to build itself up to be a playoff team for the first time in 20 years. 

And no, I shouldn't complain about them not taking a QB instead of Garrett.  Defenses win championships, and Garrett has elite defensive potential.  Pass rushers have literally won Super Bowls for teams.  They're CRUCIAL building blocks to getting to the playoffs and winning in playoffs.

How many times has a tight end been a crucial element to a team getting into the playoffs?  It doesn't happen.  Tight ends (and receivers for that matter) are luxury positions.  If you take a tight end in the first round, you deserve to suck.  If you take a receiver in the top 20, you deserve to keep sucking.  The Browns have done both in back-to-back drafts. 

They've also selected 2 defensive ends a a DB within the first 32 picks in the last two drafts. The Patriots have picked a TE in the 1st round 2 of their last 14 1st round picks and they seem to be doing alright.

I’ve never loved the idea of people who haven’t worked in personnel or coached getting these jobs. But it does work sometimes. Really REALLY works in some cases. He has to understand players limitations and not think he can recreate what he did because there’s never really been anyone else like him 

Oh god....

Look, I dont presume to know how good Peyton would be as a GM/executive, but I dont know why people just blindly assume he would be good just because he was an amazing QB.    I think people just assume it because of Elway's success.

This seems like a very Haslam kind of move though....hire a high profile name that gets people excited and talking....even though they havent really proven anything in regard to running a team.

If Peyton really is interested in getting into a GM type role, he would be better off waiting for something better to open up.     Hell, who knows...with the way the Colts are going, that job might open up in the near future, although Im not sure if working for Irsay is much better than working for Haslam, but at least the history is there.     Not sure why he would take the risk of going to work for perhaps the worst owner in the league as his first GM job.   Wait a few years and some other opportunities will come along.

A football mind with all of the analytics guys should work, IMO - Peyton could fill in the gaps in knowledge from a football perspective, and the analytics guys can provide unique data for Manning to make decisions on neck and neck scouting.

It's not the same sport, but the Astros did the same thing - paired up Nolan Ryan and Jeff Lunhow to run scouting and General Management. It worked wonders for the Astros...

Archived