John Harbaugh's aggressiveness is costing the Ravens winnable games and it should be talked about more

Apparition

13 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Ravens ranks on 4th downs since 2019 (the year they first started to really be aggressive):

Yes that's why I said Harbaugh is a gambler. He goes for it on 4th down so often it feels watered down. Like everyone in the stadium knows the Ravens will be going for it, so in the week leading up to the game the opponent is fully prepared for the constant barrage of 4th-down attempts. 

As someone else said tho, it's a fine line. Get the 1st down and nobody mentions it much. Don't get it and the talking heads start talking. 

2 hours ago, RuskieTitan said:

Justin Tucker is better at his job than any player they have on the roster at the position. The fact that they choose to turn down an almost automatic kicker is an insult to all teams that have struggled with finding a reliable kicker, and they deserve those losses.

this is certainly a take considering the amount of times they've trotted Justin Tucker out for 50+/60+ yard field goals to end games.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, FinSting said:

Yes that's why I said Harbaugh is a gambler. He goes for it on 4th down so often it feels watered down. Like everyone in the stadium knows the Ravens will be going for it, so in the week leading up to the game the opponent is fully prepared for the constant barrage of 4th-down attempts. 

As someone else said tho, it's a fine line. Get the 1st down and nobody mentions it much. Don't get it and the talking heads start talking. 

Everybody LOVED the "Hell yeah coach let's go for it!" when it scored us a touchdown in Seattle:

ljack_4th_and_td.gif

This is also 4th and like 2-3 and just lined up, ran QB power and Lamar scored. The funny thing is we actually ran this same play yesterday and Lamar got stuffed because he hesitated and tried to run outside.

The bottom line here is if you're going to love when Harbaugh is aggressive and it works, you have to accept that we're going to fail some of those as well. I'd rather fail being aggressive than fail being conservative, especially when I have Lamar Jackson as my QB.

There were two other fourth down attempts in that game yesterday, one by Buffalo, one by Baltimore. But those don't make the OP because they worked. You cannot only point out the failures. No one will convert all of their 4th down attempts. The idea is if you play the odds right, over a game, a season, a career, you come out ahead more often than not. In single instances, yes, you will lose games from this and win games from this, but you must look at both to actually analyze this. As is, this is just misunderstanding sample size, like the "Bills can't win close games" thread, and cherrypicking examples on top of that.

• Like 1