Joe Barry'd again

Old Guy

Joe Barry'd  

49 members have voted

1. 1. What should the Packers do about their defensive coordinator?

• Fire MLF, he hired him
    • Fire Joe Barry immediately and get somebody who will play aggressive defense
    • MLF should lay down the law with Barry to stop playing not to lose, get aggressive
    • Ride it out and see what happens this season then make a decision
    • Joe Barry is great

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/14/2022 at 06:46 PM

34 minutes ago, Spartacus said:

God I don't want the Staley tree at all... Just please please hire a DC with a modern scheme.... Staleys scheme might as well be called Aaron Donald because that is what makes it work. If we keep going with this rush 4 prevent big plays defense MLF will not be here another 3 years. 

Well...that article doesnt promote Staley. The article centers around Ejiro Evero. Is he from the
"Staley tree?" I cant say, but this:

“You’ve got to affect the quarterback. If you can’t get there with four, you’ve got to bring five, and if you can’t get there with five you’ve got to bring six. That’s my philosophy.”

Doesn't sound like Barry's scheme to me.

Quote:   While the Panthers are 29th in points, that’s largely the fault of an impotent offense.
Beyond the scoreboard, the numbers this season show a clear advantage:

Yards per play: Carolina, eighth; Green Bay, 24th.

Rushing per play: Carolina, 11th; Green Bay, 28th.

Passing per play: Carolina: 10th; Green Bay, 23rd.

Third down: Carolina, seventh; Green Bay, 25th.

That’s up from, in order, 16th, 12th, 20th and 23rd.

With Evero in 2022, Denver ranked 14th in points per game, sixth in yards per play, 11th in rushing per play and fourth in passing per play. In 2023, the Broncos have sunk to 30th in scoring, 30th in yards per play, 32nd in rushing per play and 26th in passing per play.

“I always want to have the mindset that it all starts with the players. We're not just going to go out there and just do stuff because that's what I've learned. That's the past. There's got to be a purpose behind it. And the purpose is your players. What did they do?

“I always tell the guys this is not my defense. This is our defense. And it's the 2023 Carolina Panthers defense. We're all collaborating to build his defense. I don't want this to be about me; it's about us and us doing this thing together.”

Edited by Leader
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Leader said:

This year? Well....if he was a DC and he's been calling theml....given the results on the field: pass.

After yet another game in which his team lost by less than a score and gave up significant yardage on defense, Los Angeles Chargers head coach Brandon Staley was emphatic that Sunday's 23-20 loss to the Packers was not due to a problem in his own defensive game plan, saying he has no plans to make changes in that area at this point.

"I have full confidence like I've told you -- and like I've told you from the beginning -- I have full confidence in our way of playing. I have full confidence in myself as the play-caller. And the way that we teach and the way that we scheme. Full confidence in that," Staley told reporters. "We've got to bring this group together and do it consistently, and that's where it's at.

"So you can stop asking that question, OK? I'm going to be calling the defenses, OK? So we're clear. So you don't have to ask that again."

13 minutes ago, Leader said:

Well...that article doesnt promote Staley. The article centers around Ejiro Evero. Is he from the
Staley tree?" I cant say, but this:

“You’ve got to affect the quarterback. If you can’t get there with four, you’ve got to bring five, and if you can’t get there with five you’ve got to bring six. That’s my philosophy.”

Doesn't sound lie Barry's scheme to me.

Quote:   While the Panthers are 29th in points, that’s largely the fault of an impotent offense.
Beyond the scoreboard, the numbers this season show a clear advantage:

Yards per play: Carolina, eighth; Green Bay, 24th.

Rushing per play: Carolina, 11th; Green Bay, 28th.

Passing per play: Carolina: 10th; Green Bay, 23rd.

Third down: Carolina, seventh; Green Bay, 25th.

That’s up from, in order, 16th, 12th, 20th and 23rd.

With Evero in 2022, Denver ranked 14th in points per game, sixth in yards per play, 11th in rushing per play and fourth in passing per play. In 2023, the Broncos have sunk to 30th in scoring, 30th in yards per play, 32nd in rushing per play and 26th in passing per play.

“I always want to have the mindset that it all starts with the players. We're not just going to go out there and just do stuff because that's what I've learned. That's the past. There's got to be a purpose behind it. And the purpose is your players. What did they do?

“I always tell the guys this is not my defense. This is our defense. And it's the 2023 Carolina Panthers defense. We're all collaborating to build his defense. I don't want this to be about me; it's about us and us doing this thing together.”

many of us preferred Evero over Barry 3 years ago, and while both coaches use variables of the Fangio base plans, each game plans are a little different, Barry is timid, while Evero is more aggressive,  I think he and Saleh are my top choices, but am open to learn more about others.

2 minutes ago, turf toe said:

many of us preferred Evero over Barry 3 years ago, and while both coaches use variables of the Fangio base plans, each game plans are a little different, Barry is timid, while Evero is more aggressive,  I think he and Saleh are my top choices, but am open to learn more about others.

Well...neither are available at the moment....and I think the "Saleh's gonna get canned and make a move to GB" idea.....is far too fanciful for me.

17 minutes ago, Leader said:

Well...neither are available at the moment....and I think the "Saleh's gonna get canned and make a move to GB" idea.....is far too fanciful for me.

It would be funny to have Saleh get fired,  come here, and have his defense shut down Rodgers when they play in 2024 (if the schedule works out that way).

8 minutes ago, BluePacker said:

It would be funny to have Saleh get fired,  come here, and have his defense shut down Rodgers when they play in 2024 (if the schedule works out that way).

Well, the NYJ's are 3 games behind 2nd place BUF...and they're not winning their way into 2nd.
They 2 games ahead of 4th place NE....who ends with DEN, BUF & the NYJ's - so I dont see NE winning it's way into 3rd place.

So - it sure looks like the Jets are gonna be in 3rd.

Green Bay could go either way. We're only a game out of 2nd and a game ahead of 4th (tiebreaks not considered).

Edited by Leader
  • Like 1

Packers' defense has 6 Ints this year...6. At first, I assumed that had to be one of the lowest marks in NFL history, but turns out, it currently ties us for the 9th worst defense in NFL history in terms of INTs. 

For the 2023 season, we are currently tied for 2nd worst in that category, trailing only the Titans who have 4 Ints this season. 

33 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Packers' defense has 6 Ints this year...6. At first, I assumed that had to be one of the lowest marks in NFL history, but turns out, it currently ties us for the 9th worst defense in NFL history in terms of INTs. 

For the 2023 season, we are currently tied for 2nd worst in that category, trailing only the Titans who have 4 Ints this season. 

It only takes a couple dozen balls that are overthrown by 15 yards, high, to come into play for our safeties.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

You can complain all you want about JB and this defense.  But let's be clear....I don't care the down and distance, they are keeping everything in front of them.

I suppose technically when they miss tackles they do turn around to watch the other team score and thus are facing the ball...

10 hours ago, Sasquatch said:

I like Matt but I get the sense that at this moment, he’s out of his depth as HC.  Just my gut and based upon his handling of certain situations.  I can see any number of outcomes for his future.  He could become a great HC and someday have an esteemed coaching tree of his own.  Or, he could flame out as a HC and become a very decent coordinator.  There’s less desirable outcomes for him that I won’t bother discussing, because I actually think his future is quite bright.

How he and his team finish this season, and the subsequent decisions he will make immediately following, will give us more info about his leadership and his future.  Till then, I remain a tad bit concerned.

MLF needs a DC that can handle that side without supervision.  Guy's like McVay and Shannhan aren't much different.  They've just made much better choices for their DC's.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

You can complain all you want about JB and this defense.  But let's be clear....I don't care the down and distance, they are keeping everything in front of them.

Why though?  Play some real defense and get up and challenge people.  This is the most scared looking defense in football.  It's a disgrace.