Joe Barry'd again

Old Guy

Joe Barry'd  

49 members have voted

1. 1. What should the Packers do about their defensive coordinator?

• Fire MLF, he hired him
    • Fire Joe Barry immediately and get somebody who will play aggressive defense
    • MLF should lay down the law with Barry to stop playing not to lose, get aggressive
    • Ride it out and see what happens this season then make a decision
    • Joe Barry is great

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/14/2022 at 06:46 PM

6 minutes ago, HeresAGuy said:

Not his fault.  Players suck.  We need to stop blaming coaches now.  We've done that for ten years now.  its not the coaches.  When you suck for THIS long, its not the coaches, its the product on the field.

Either we can't evaluate defensive players for the last several year or we have a DC who refuses to adjust to his players' abilities.  Which one is more likely?  The Packers haven't fielded a good defense since 2009.  We've shipped players in and out since then, but we've only had 3 DCs since then.

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

Either we can't evaluate defensive players for the last several year or we have a DC who refuses to adjust to his players' abilities.  Which one is more likely?  The Packers haven't fielded a good defense since 2009.  We've shipped players in and out since then, but we've only had 3 DCs since then.

welllllllll,,,,,,,the answer to that is not the answer you think it is I dont think.  Evidence compounding over evidence at this point.

• Like 1

Just now, HeresAGuy said:

welllllllll,,,,,,,the answer to that is not the answer you think it is I dont think.  Evidence compounding over evidence at this point.

We keep hiring DC rejects, and we act surprised when the results are mediocre.  You either pay big money for a proven guy who jumps at a HC opportunity or we gamble on the unknown.  Paying peanuts for mediocre isn't the answer.

• Like 4

Just now, CWood21 said:

We keep hiring DC rejects, and we act surprised when the results are mediocre.  You either pay big money for a proven guy who jumps at a HC opportunity or we gamble on the unknown.  Paying peanuts for mediocre isn't the answer.

The thing is we have consistently had defensive minds in the league that are consensus respectable and above average.  We have eleven first rounders on defense.  Eleven.  With 11 first rounders, that should be more than adequate to create a top 10 defense.  This isnt joe barry.  Its regressing Jaire Alexander.  It's never was good Darnell Savage.  Its average Quay Walker.  It's "slightly above average" Rashan Gary.  Guys that we are overrating because they are wearing Packers uniforms.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Whoever was responsible for bringing Barry back should be fired. It is simply malpractice to waste the type of talent we have on defense. I do not for one minute believe we don't have enough talent on this team. 

Just now, squire12 said:

Savage needs to breakup the deep pass to Hollins ( i think it was him) on the TD drive Atlanta got in the 4th.  It was 3rd down.  Play the ball, high point it and knock it away

Barry had him watch Ha Ha Clinton-dix low-lights all week to learn from, but instead Savage used it as inspiration.   /s

Sometimes the players (and the guys drafting them) just suck. It's okay.

1 minute ago, squire12 said:

Savage needs to breakup the deep pass to Hollins ( i think it was him) on the TD drive Atlanta got in the 4th.  It was 3rd down.  Play the ball, high point it and knock it away

Ja and Quay need to intercept passes and at worst get us the ball in the red zone twice.

Certainly blame on the players, the gutting part is every year this team gets it handed to them in the run game. With no solutions.

10 minutes ago, HeresAGuy said:

The thing is we have consistently had defensive minds in the league that are consensus respectable and above average.  We have eleven first rounders on defense.  Eleven.  With 11 first rounders, that should be more than adequate to create a top 10 defense.  This isnt joe barry.  Its regressing Jaire Alexander.  It's never was good Darnell Savage.  Its average Quay Walker.  It's "slightly above average" Rashan Gary.  Guys that we are overrating because they are wearing Packers uniforms.  

At what point was Joe Barry viewed as a respectable or above-average?  Commanders fans came in here apologizing and forewarning about how bad he was as a DC.  Lions' fans were laughing at the hire.  The Packers went bargain shopping at DC, and the results show.  I can at least admire them bargain shopping on a DC who hasn't been a DC before as opposed to bargain shopping on a mediocre DC who has proven he can't coach a good defense.

4 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

That was so bad love, too. It seemed obvious it would be a PB at worst and should have been a pick

Might have been the differencin the game.  3rd down pass breakup leads to a punt.  Even a 3 and out takes 2 minutes of time off the clock

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Ja and Quay need to intercept passes and at worst get us the ball in the red zone twice.

Certainly blame on the players, the gutting part is every year this team gets it handed to them in the run game. With no solutions.

And why is that?  If it's not the coach or the defensive coordinator's fault, who's is it?

Just now, CWood21 said:

At what point was Joe Barry viewed as a respectable or above-average?  Commanders fans came in here apologizing and forewarning about how bad he was as a DC.  Lions' fans were laughing at the hire.  The Packers went bargain shopping at DC, and the results show.  I can at least admire them bargain shopping on a DC who hasn't been a DC before as opposed to bargain shopping on a mediocre DC who has proven he can't coach a good defense.

It isn't the initial hiring that gets me.  I think MLF was caught flat-footed when Leonhard turned him down.  Not a great look, but I get it.  It's sticking with Barry that bothers me.  There were a lot of quality candidates available after last season, and GB stood pat with Barry.  His commitment to the status quo will be what gets MLF fired.  Then he'll become a great OC for some other team.