Joe Barry'd again

Old Guy

Joe Barry'd  

49 members have voted

1. 1. What should the Packers do about their defensive coordinator?

• Fire MLF, he hired him
    • Fire Joe Barry immediately and get somebody who will play aggressive defense
    • MLF should lay down the law with Barry to stop playing not to lose, get aggressive
    • Ride it out and see what happens this season then make a decision
    • Joe Barry is great

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/14/2022 at 06:46 PM

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

IIRC, I think Detroit got a little full of themselves early on.  They got away from what they were doing well.

felt that way as well.  maybe trying some new stuff to get it on film and see how it plays, set stuff up for later in year

good on them for getting back to what was working and sealing the game

9 minutes ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

MLF is a mystery. Jones should be touching the ball 25 times a game. He's all we have at rb, really. Then with the O-line hurting, and a fierce Lion pass rush coming in, he goes with a deep route offensive game plan. He was out coached in another big game, and that's becoming a disturbing pattern.

Jones is not built for 25 touches a game.  If he wasn't out altogether, he'd be a shell of himself by December with that kind of workload.

8 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

We'll see if LaFleur has any balls .. sounded like he was pretty disgusted with the inability to stop the run.  Basically said they need to commit to stopping it an make teams beat you over the top.  Said you can't keep doing the same thing over and over and expect different results.  Now they did hold Monty to about a 3.8 yard average tonight, but they picked up about evert big first down and blew us out in the redzone.

I don't get what LeFleur is complaining about.  Who brought Barry back?  Did LeFleur as HEAD COACH not know that Barry would run the schemes he ran this week?  He should be pointing the blame at himself.  I want a HEAD COACH to be a Head Coach, not an offensive coordinator.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

IIRC, I think Detroit got a little full of themselves early on.  They got away from what they were doing well.

After GB's performance in the first half, tough to blame them.  Off the top of my head, I can't remember ever seeing a GB team play that poorly on offense for a full half.

When I watch this defense, I notice that when we run a 2-4-5 front teams run right at us and usually get about 5-7 yards per fun.  As soon as we go 3-4-4, teams run outside the tackle and our cornerbacks are playing soft and our outside linebackers don't set the edge.  Several times when we did run the 3-4, you could see the "bubble" between the offensive tackle and the tight end and they ran right at it with success as the 3 man front was too far to one side of the field. So the scheme is a problem but the lack of physicality on the outside by the cornerbacks is also a problem (but then again, they are usually off the LOS by 4-9 yards).  Good offensive scheming by the Lions...poor defensive scheming by the Packers. 

• Like 3

Just now, minnypackerfan said:

When I watch this defense, I notice that when we run a 2-4-5 front teams run right at us and usually get about 5-7 yards per fun.  As soon as we go 3-4-4, teams run outside the tackle and our cornerbacks are playing soft and our outside linebackers don't set the edge.  Several times when we did run the 3-4, you could see the "bubble" between the offensive tackle and the tight end and they ran right at it with success as the 3 man front was too far to one side of the field. So the scheme is a problem but the lack of physicality on the outside by the cornerbacks is also a problem (but then again, they are usually off the LOS by 4-9 yards).  Good offensive scheming by the Lions...poor defensive scheming by the Packers. 

Whoever is coordinating all of this should lose his job

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Whoever is coordinating all of this should lose his job

Yeah if LaFleur has issues with the way the defense is being run he needs to take the reigns from Barry and dictate to him how they want things run.  If Barry is stubborn about it then he needs to be fired.  LaFleur basically said in his presser that what they are trying to do on that side of the ball is not working.  Unfortunately what he is trying to do on the offensive side of the ball is also not working.  I guess what we have is a ****ty coaching staff.

6 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Yeah if LaFleur has issues with the way the defense is being run he needs to take the reigns from Barry and dictate to him how they want things run.  If Barry is stubborn about it then he needs to be fired.  LaFleur basically said in his presser that what they are trying to do on that side of the ball is not working.  Unfortunately what he is trying to do on the offensive side of the ball is also not working.  I guess what we have is a ****ty coaching staff.

I mean, at least MLF has an excuse on his side of the field with the youth and a first time starting QB. 

21 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

I mean, at least MLF has an excuse on his side of the field with the youth and a first time starting QB. 

True .. we expect the offense to be a bit of a work in progress due to the youth.  No real excuse on defense to be anything less than solid with several 1st round picks out there playing on a regular basis.  Either they suck, or the coaching sucks, or it's something in between.  I do know that giving up 200 rushing yards will get you beat nearly ever week.  I think Barry gave them way too many looks that made it easy for them to gain significant yards on the ground.  That needs to change, or Barry needs to go.  I do think there will be a DC change at the end of this season, but I thought the same last season.  It's been several years now and the defense still has no positive identity.  They are particularly good at stopping anything.

Edited by {Family Ghost}

One frustrating thing I've noticed with Barry as well (go figure) is he subs a TON, and I get we want to give guys fresh snaps and all but damn why are we taking guys like Gary/LVN/Kenny/Preston off the field more times than not? Like on that goalline play herman showed we have Enagbare, Brooks, Slaton, and Hollins, why are we subbing so many not great at run defending depth guys on the goaline? Why isn't Kenny and Preston at minimum on the field here? Just makes no sense.

• Like 2