Joe Barry'd again

Old Guy

Joe Barry'd  

49 members have voted

1. 1. What should the Packers do about their defensive coordinator?

• Fire MLF, he hired him
    • Fire Joe Barry immediately and get somebody who will play aggressive defense
    • MLF should lay down the law with Barry to stop playing not to lose, get aggressive
    • Ride it out and see what happens this season then make a decision
    • Joe Barry is great

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/14/2022 at 06:46 PM

On 10/20/2023 at 9:45 AM, vegas492 said:

My biggest complaint about Barry is that his own players do not like playing his style of defense.  Seems like every year, we play okay, then we stink, then players complain and then our scheme changes and our defense gets better.

You would think he'd be smart enough to play to their strengths.  But he doesn't.  He reverts back to his old ways time and time again.

As far as his coaching history?  His defenses have always been poor, right?  Washington fans came here to give us condolences after we hired him.  They lived it first hand.

He was a poor choice when he was hired.  He's remained a poor choice.  And there is no way he should be here this week, let alone next year.  He is what he is and what he is, is simply not good enough.

My god he's basically the defensive coordinator version of Norv Turner!! It all makes sense now!!!

• Like 2

On 10/20/2023 at 8:45 AM, vegas492 said:

My biggest complaint about Barry is that his own players do not like playing his style of defense.  Seems like every year, we play okay, then we stink, then players complain and then our scheme changes and our defense gets better.

You would think he'd be smart enough to play to their strengths.  But he doesn't.  He reverts back to his old ways time and time again.

So much this. I may be misremembering but S1 was uninspiring, but the D played epically vs SF, and we thought "hey, maybe he's figured it out."

The last season was blah, GB was 4-8, but the D came to life and started creating opportunities for the O to get wins..."hey, Barry finally figured out how to use the talent!"

This season....nope, right back to being frustrating.

When you practice bend but don’t break, you will ALWAYS bend.

I don’t know which moron thinks that’s an effective game style for today’s 2 minute drill when the opponent is trailing by three points or less.

I can hardly even bother watching those scenarios.

19 hours ago, Mr Bad Example said:

So much this. I may be misremembering but S1 was uninspiring, but the D played epically vs SF, and we thought "hey, maybe he's figured it out."

The last season was blah, GB was 4-8, but the D came to life and started creating opportunities for the O to get wins..."hey, Barry finally figured out how to use the talent!"

This season....nope, right back to being frustrating.

The defense is not the first problem right now. Have you noticed the offense? We've got WRs running wrong routes, O-Linemen running into each other, a QB who can't hit the broad side of a barn, and a coach who likes to run his lumbering FB wide. It's like the Keystone Cops being coached by the Three Stooges. All this makes Barry look great. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

The defense is not the first problem right now. Have you noticed the offense? We've got WRs running wrong routes, O-Linemen running into each other, a QB who can't hit the broad side of a barn, and a coach who likes to run his lumbering FB wide. It's like the Keystone Cops being coached by the Three Stooges. All this makes Barry look great. 

That was my takeaway from this last game.  I really wanted to bag on Barry, but it is easy to do and Lord knows, he deserves it.

But our head coach and offense was even worse.  We still get cute.  And we are not nearly good enough to get cute.  And the problems are everywhere.  It is every level and it is at the effort level.

7 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

That was my takeaway from this last game.  I really wanted to bag on Barry, but it is easy to do and Lord knows, he deserves it.

But our head coach and offense was even worse.  We still get cute.  And we are not nearly good enough to get cute.  And the problems are everywhere.  It is every level and it is at the effort level.

But a PR pointed out, our D has had multiple occasions so far this year where they needed a 4th Qtr stop...and the failed each time....like yesterday.

Those results - to me - is a DC & scheme thats predictable and easy to attack. As another poster commented, he's not going anywhere on this throw away year.....so we might as well relax and enjoy the inevitable.

9 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

IMHO, as soon as the season ends we need to bag MLF and hire Ben Johnson away from the Lions. We need that ankle-biting mentality. 

3 minutes ago, Leader said:

But a PR pointed out, our D has had multiple occasions so far this year where they needed a 4th Qtr stop...and the failed each time....like yesterday.

Those results - to me - is a DC & scheme thats predictable and easy to attack. As another poster commented, he's not going anywhere on this throw away year.....so we might as well relax and enjoy the inevitable.

And he was more or less wrong.  We gave up 19 points.  We missed an easy FG and we went for it on a 4'th down when we could have had 3 points.

When you hold someone under 20, you gotta win the game.  Especially when playing without Campbell and Jaire for the entire game.  

And I'm talking only about this game.  We didn't lose this past game because of our defense.  We lost it because our offense was pathetic with a capital P.

Look.  I despise Barry.  I'm just being fair to yesterday's game.  It's easy to pile on Barry because he is just that bad and has pretty much always been that bad.  But the defense isn't the reason we lost yesterday.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

IMHO, as soon as the season ends we need to bag MLF and hire Ben Johnson away from the Lions. We need that ankle-biting mentality. 

Prior to this season, I'd have said absolutely not to canning MLF.  I'm still not there yet, but it is trending in that direction.

We need to see a whole lot of improvement in order for me to be comfortable keeping him around.