Joe Barry'd again

Old Guy

Joe Barry'd  

49 members have voted

1. 1. What should the Packers do about their defensive coordinator?

• Fire MLF, he hired him
    • Fire Joe Barry immediately and get somebody who will play aggressive defense
    • MLF should lay down the law with Barry to stop playing not to lose, get aggressive
    • Ride it out and see what happens this season then make a decision
    • Joe Barry is great

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/14/2022 at 06:46 PM

1 hour ago, MacReady said:

Everybody here celebrating Barry and I'm sitting here saying, "Just imagine what this defense would look like with a coordinator."

Because that's what we've got here. We don't have an I toad a so situation going on.

What's happening here is we've got talent, we don't have it pointed in the right direction.

Saleh revenge tour 2024 under MLF

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Saleh revenge tour 2024 under MLF

I would love that but he sort of scapegoated his MLF's brother last year and fired him. 

No question we would play with a whole lot more intensity. 

Edited by Old Guy

10 hours ago, MacReady said:

Everybody here celebrating Barry and I'm sitting here saying, "Just imagine what this defense would look like with a coordinator."

Because that's what we've got here. We don't have an I toad a so situation going on.

What's happening here is we've got talent, we don't have it pointed in the right direction.

I feel like most people are celebrating that. The defense looked really good on Thursday, and expecting that it will go back to situation normal for the rest of the season.... As I said, Barry always manages to have a game or two where you think he's figured out how to coordinate these players, and then *poof* it goes away

• Like 1

I do feel there are better d-coordinators in the league, however I’d be hesitant to replace him after how this defense is playing at the moment. The scheme may be lacking at times but the development we are seeing with the young players at all levels of the defense proves they can coach guys up. Also wonder is the injuries in the secondary made Barry simplify things which in turn made guys able to play faster. 
see development from

brooks, and slaton

engabare and mcduffie

Ford, valentine and johnson

all levels of this defense guys are being coached up and improving. I’d rather not take a chance of stunting that growth.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, hoekd0250 said:

I do feel there are better d-coordinators in the league, however I’d be hesitant to replace him after how this defense is playing at the moment. The scheme may be lacking at times but the development we are seeing with the young players at all levels of the defense proves they can coach guys up. Also wonder is the injuries in the secondary made Barry simplify things which in turn made guys able to play faster. 
see development from

brooks, and slaton

engabare and mcduffie

Ford, valentine and johnson

all levels of this defense guys are being coached up and improving. I’d rather not take a chance of stunting that growth.

Barry is the man. End of

50 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

I'm not going to lie guys, that Detroit Lions game was an almost impeccably coached football game by Joe Barry. 

Like I said, one more game like that and I'm changing the thread title to, "Extend Joe Barry!"

Edited by Old Guy

On 11/27/2023 at 6:32 AM, Mr Bad Example said:

I feel like most people are celebrating that. The defense looked really good on Thursday, and expecting that it will go back to situation normal for the rest of the season.... As I said, Barry always manages to have a game or two where you think he's figured out how to coordinate these players, and then *poof* it goes away

I saw the Detroit game more as players, especially Rashan, making Barry look competent. 

7 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

I saw the Detroit game more as players, especially Rashan, making Barry look competent. 

I have to respectfully disagree. Barry has been notorious for playing with a light box and letting teams run it down our throat. He stopped the run this game and forced Goff to beat us. He couldn't. Yes, Gary and the pass rush in general had a great game, but Barry put guys in a position to win. He also played aggressive, physical football. The Packers came out and were not going to be pushed around. 

He also did it was the worst secondary in the NFL to line up on Sunday. Look at who we played in the backend.  

Now, let's see if he chickens out against Mahomes or continues to bring the fight to them. 

Edited by Old Guy
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Eternal said:

Unless the defense struggles these last few games, he is going to be back, however much we love it or hate it. He seems to give us just enough so he keeps coming back for more

I think you’re right, outside of something crazy like Saleh becoming available and he gets on the phone with his best man. We’ll see where the endgame of the season takes us. If we do make a switch, we need coaches and front office to be on same page with what the new system needs in support. The biggest example being the importance of safties and ILBs being inverted when we switched from Pettine to Barry. We’ve since paid Campbell and drafted Walker at a premium. Also have watched Savage fade away.

That playoff game vs. the 9ers showed why we brought Barry over. O and STs couldn’t get their head out of their *** or we’d be talking about that defensive masterpiece a lot more. I would love a young and innovative coach who can get the most out of this talent. If Barry is seen as “just fine” by the end of the year, I bet the Packers play it safe. 

Edited by Refugee

1 hour ago, Old Guy said:

I have to respectfully disagree. Barry has been notorious for playing with a light box and letting teams run it down our throat. He stopped the run this game and forced Goff to beat us. He couldn't. Yes, Gary and the pass rush in general had a great game, but Barry put guys in a position to win. He also played aggressive, physical football. The Packers came out and were not going to be pushed around. 

He also did it was the worst secondary in the NFL to line up on Sunday. Look at who we played in the backend.  

Now, let's see if he chickens out against Mahomes or continues to bring the fight to them. 

a key to Gary production imo was moving Clark from one side to the other, it also made work easier for Brooks, I watched TE's and RB follow Clark from one side to the other, players often charged with picking up free rushers, not to take anything away from the great effort of Gary or Brooks, simply that Clark played like a player possessed, he was living in the Detroit backfield.

I think we have to give some credit to Barry for recognizing that limiting Clark to weak side DT/de is robbing him of his flexibility to wreck havoc else where on the line.