Joe Barry'd again

Old Guy

Joe Barry'd  

49 members have voted

1. 1. What should the Packers do about their defensive coordinator?

• Fire MLF, he hired him
    • Fire Joe Barry immediately and get somebody who will play aggressive defense
    • MLF should lay down the law with Barry to stop playing not to lose, get aggressive
    • Ride it out and see what happens this season then make a decision
    • Joe Barry is great

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/14/2022 at 06:46 PM

6 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

"Shut down lions run game"--->140 yardage rushing. The standard is low haha.

I'm a fan or the personnel and packages ves getting put there these last couple games. My problem is why did it take so long to evaluate his roster?

How many attempts and yards did Detroit have in the first half running the ball? Squat and we were up 23 to 6. The defensive gameplan changed after we got a big lead, and it should have. 

The Packers owned the LOS defensively in the first half. They did what they needed to do in the second half to get a win. Welcome to the NFL. 

You can tell by the guy who started this thread, me, I'm no Barry apologist. I'm not going to trash the guy when he gets it right. Last week he really got it right. He had to as that was our only chance in that game. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

How many attempts and yards did Detroit have in the first half running the ball? Squat and we were up 23 to 6. The defensive gameplan changed after we got a big lead, and it should have. 

The Packers owned the LOS defensively in the first half. They did what they needed to do in the second half to get a win. Welcome to the NFL. 

You can tell by the guy who started this thread, me, I'm no Barry apologist. I'm not going to trash the guy when he gets it right. Last week he really got it right. He had to as that was our only chance in that game. 

I don't disagree we played the run well. Still gave up 140 yards though. 

2 hours ago, turf toe said:

a key to Gary production imo was moving Clark from one side to the other, it also made work easier for Brooks, I watched TE's and RB follow Clark from one side to the other, players often charged with picking up free rushers, not to take anything away from the great effort of Gary or Brooks, simply that Clark played like a player possessed, he was living in the Detroit backfield.

I think we have to give some credit to Barry for recognizing that limiting Clark to weak side DT/de is robbing him of his flexibility to wreck havoc else where on the line.

Clark played an amazing game. He was a genuine gamewrecker. 

But that's not what's happening. 

Clark plays the UT when Slaton is in the game in the 2-4, and SSDE when the defense is in the 3-3 or 3-4. That basically only leaves him playing NT in the 2-4 when he's paired up with Wyatt. The UT and the SSDE line up on the strong side of the offensive formation, which is why you're seeing Clark disproportionately lined up on the same side as the backs and TEs.  

2 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Clark played an amazing game. He was a genuine gamewrecker. 

But that's not what's happening. 

Clark plays the UT when Slaton is in the game in the 2-4, and SSDE when the defense is in the 3-3 or 3-4. That basically only leaves him playing NT in the 2-4 when he's paired up with Wyatt. The UT and the SSDE line up on the strong side of the offensive formation, which is why you're seeing Clark disproportionately lined up on the same side as the backs and TEs.  

We are very fortunate Slaton came on so we could move Clark out of the NT. 

We actually have a defensive line that has a lot of talent and it's young talent too.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Old Guy said:

I have to respectfully disagree. Barry has been notorious for playing with a light box and letting teams run it down our throat. He stopped the run this game and forced Goff to beat us. He couldn't. Yes, Gary and the pass rush in general had a great game, but Barry put guys in a position to win. He also played aggressive, physical football. The Packers came out and were not going to be pushed around. 

He also did it was the worst secondary in the NFL to line up on Sunday. Look at who we played in the backend.  

Now, let's see if he chickens out against Mahomes or continues to bring the fight to them. 

When Jaire went down I honestly thought we were going to get torched by basically anyone that had anything in the way of the passing game. So it seems like one of the three must be true

1. Barry has for all his faults and there are many done an exceptional job in covering for a defense that on paper looked to be badly outmatched every game.

2. These secondary guys are actually far better than we thought. Maybe Valentine can be a CB1. Maybe Bannetyne is a starting calibre corner. Maybe Gutey has done an exceptional job.

3. Maybe secondary isn't actually very important after all. Maybe if you can stop the run to an extent and generate some pass rush, you can plug in JAGS to the secondary and as long as they don't do anything dumb, its OK

Rasul was a street free agent when we signed him so fits into the same bracket.  Changes a bit of the way, I think about secondary as a need. Don't understand schemes as much as you guys but is it just that the way we play conducive to just throwing in JAGS into the secondary and getting away with it. Is there any point in putting resources into the secondary - should all the defense resource be going into DL. 

Well aware I am probably jinxing this and Mahones will probably throw for 1000 yards or something.

20 minutes ago, mikemike778 said:

2. These secondary guys are actually far better than we thought. Maybe Valentine can be a CB1. Maybe Bannetyne (Ballentine) is a starting calibre corner. Maybe Gutey has done an exceptional job.

3. Maybe secondary isn't actually very important after all. Maybe if you can stop the run to an extent and generate some pass rush, you can plug in JAGS to the secondary and as long as they don't do anything dumb, its OK

Unless the Packers have shifted course significantly recently, they have spent an enormous amount of early-round draft capital  on the DB position for the best part of a decade, so they view the DB positions as highly important.

The Packers D is more like the 49ers now, who have had a very good front 7 on defense and a mean pass rush..............but there was little that was top tier in their DBs (excepting Jimmy Ward). While our defenses are more similar than was the case a while back, the Packers still have the better DB group, while the 49ers still have a better pass rush (though mostly with the benefit of high draft picks).

As for  Gutey, though everything is yet to play out fully, I do think his drafts have been high quality the last couple of years, and although the 2020 draft was lacklustre, if Jordan Love pans out well, the rest matters little.

1 hour ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

Question.

Though I very much doubt it happens, would the Packers ever consider hiring Sean McDermott as the DC, if Buffalo removes him as head coach ?

First, we'd have to be in the market for a DC. If the defense keeps playing like it did last week, that would be highly doubtful. Second, we'd have to want to play his 2 deep safety look, which I have no idea how MLF feels about that. 

I'd be much more inclined to go after Robert Saleh when he gets fired for going 4-13. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

Unless the Packers have shifted course significantly recently, they have spent an enormous amount of early-round draft capital  on the DB position for the best part of a decade, so they view the DB positions as highly important.

The Packers D is more like the 49ers now, who have had a very good front 7 on defense and a mean pass rush..............but there was little that was top tier in their DBs (excepting Jimmy Ward). While our defenses are more similar than was the case a while back, the Packers still have the better DB group, while the 49ers still have a better pass rush (though mostly with the benefit of high draft picks).

As for  Gutey, though everything is yet to play out fully, I do think his drafts have been high quality the last couple of years, and although the 2020 draft was lacklustre, if Jordan Love pans out well, the rest matters little.

I know (the bold bit).

But all of the early draft picks are injured. Our starting secondary has been two 7th round rookies, a street free agent not considered good enough to make anyone's 53 (Bannetyne) and Jonathon Owens. Virtually nothing was spent on the DBs used in the last few games in the way of draft capital or cap hit. And we have got by relatively fine.

Which makes you wonder if the approach has been wrong all along. Should DB be treated as a low priority position that you can fill largely with street guys as long as your front 7 is strong.

Its not just corner, safety was seen as a master weakness in to the season has been relatively OK and we have been filling in with JAGs, late round picks and someone in Savage who most had given up on.

Re the second bold bit.  On paper our DB group is probably the 32nd best in the league until we get players back. Unless these guys really are far far better than we thought they were.

• Like 1