State of the Steelers

warfelg

Oh, and I will be sick of we trade for Fields.   Many are now speculating it will take first round value to get him.  Even a 2nd I would hate.   3rd I could deal with, but I feel like someone will massively overpay for this gimmick player and it better not be us.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 43M said:

Oh, and I will be sick of we trade for Fields.   Many are now speculating it will take first round value to get him.  Even a 2nd I would hate.   3rd I could deal with, but I feel like someone will massively overpay for this gimmick player and it better not be us.

What makes Fields a gimmick player?

5 hours ago, 3rivers said:

mitch - if he'd have known what? He got his chance and was bad.  Overpaid and really bad

take out the trash and move on

hopes are at least 5 more players

Im not defending Mitch, he stated that he expected to be the guy and when they drafted Kenny he acted like they blindsided him. Personally I think he's a tool and instead of stepping up he acted like a *****. His game was garbage and they mishandled the hand off to Kenny badly and they mishandled the overall QB competition badly as Mason at the very least showed that he deserved higher status at the very least the #2 slot this season. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 43M said:

Maybe I’m trying to prepare myself for disappointment, but I’m hoping no more than a 2nd.  I’d be furious if it’s a 1st.  The first two rounds of this draft could really make an impact and set a good foundation for the future with where the talent is.  So my hope is they could figure out how to do it for a third or a combination of a third and some lead ground pics.

Iv really got to hope that the media is  over valuing Fields.  I can’t really see what sets Fields apart from other recent QBs in similar situations in recent years.  Trey Lance, Sam Darnold, or Josh Rosen. And to be honest, we should take a lesson from those examples, as they were probably overvalued, even for what they gave up.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, 43M said:

I thought we could have gotten something, but oh well.   Just happy he's gone.

Well, so this is part of the rumor: Some of the reporters are saying that this is so out of the ordinary for them and that they've heard was these cuts were the "made example of" cuts.

If you think about it, Trubisky didn't handle last years benching well. He didn't handle this year's benching well internally.  He seemed to think when he was signed that he was the unquestioned starter for the length of his contract, was unhappy when we drafted Kenny to start with.

With PHIII, it seems like the story of kept him because of kick holding seems true.  They were bringing in challengers all year to camp and the PS, reportedly the punted better, but they weren't getting the hold right.  It seems like this one would be the signal at be good at all jobs we ask, not just one.

The Chuks Okorafor one is for sure the 'we don't care' type cuts.  Basically the rumor is what we saw outwards with the sideline outburst the lead to the bench was just the tip of the iceberg of what was going on.  Supposedly the team didn't want to bother to look for a trade, because they saw it a little bit of a reward to trade a guy and guarantee his pay.  Long story short it's was a power move to just cut him at a time they don't normally do it.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, 3rivers said:

chuks  no trade value at all?

mitch pre june 1 cut  has the team losing some cap. Why not wait post june 1?  Especially if Mason is leaving,  maybe something is brewing in the soon to be 1 QB  QB room

They can designate him a post June 1 cut

• Like 1

10 hours ago, bigben07MVP said:

https://x.com/patmcafeeshow/status/1757103399135330651?s=46&t=qcRuXjH2St1oLeP8Aph7Og

Could be looking too into it but Schefter’s comment sounded like he knows something. 

Throwing the pasta against the wall to see if it sticks.  I have been telling you guys for a long time that Tomlin likes Fields.  It is not a secret. It has also been reported that the Steelers ( and other teams ) enquired with the Bears about Fields.  Nothing will happen until draft day with the Bears so chill.

9 hours ago, 3rivers said:

do you think AR2 stepped in told Khan to get rid of these players?

I am shocked they actually finally did this , especially this soon

Other way around is more likely.  My guess is Tomlin and Khan have talked about this for a while.

4 minutes ago, jebrick said:

Other way around is more likely.  My guess is Tomlin and Khan have talked about this for a while.

From talk on twitter (I refuse to call it X) it seems like it's more likely that this was the case.  Much like it seems from the conversations around it the firing of Canada took Tomlin and Khan really working to convince AR2.

12 hours ago, 3rivers said:

chuks  no trade value at all?

Chuks had some value to another team. I think he will get a job somewhere else fairly easily. His issue is his high salary.  No one wanted to trade and inherent $13 mill. Which correct me if I'm wrong is his cap hit. Way too much for Chuks.

mitch pre june 1 cut has the team losing some cap. Why not wait post june 1? 

They often do this to help the player. They wait until June 1 and the player misses out on signing options. By then the free agency and the draft have filled a lot of positions/needs.

Especially if Mason is leaving, 

There is no guarantee Mason is leaving. He was in the same position last year and 31 teams passed on him. Is he that much more appealing to the other 31 teams that passed on him today? He is gambling that his play changed that. Not sure how much he moved the needle.

maybe something is brewing in the soon to be 1 QB  QB room

It certainly looks like the Steelers are trying to do something.

9 hours ago, 3rivers said:

Harvin probably won't play in the NFL again,  so he should be grateful for the other leagues that might help him with some KD.

Kickers and punters get recycled like coaches and coordinators. I wouldn't be surprised to see him punting on another team. Sometimes a change of scenery is good. 

this team could use a major overhaul, now it's sit back and see what the new FO does.

It has begun!!!!!

I'm not a fan of Tomlin, was hoping they would move on from him. Instead, they are removing much of the staff.  See how that goes, but I think Tomlin is the problem ultimately.

You may prove to be ultimately correct. Tomlin is not all bad or all good. There is in between. There are things that he does well and things that he does poorly. He is the HC. They decided to keep him, right or wrong. 

If they pull off the Fields trade, that could be a major help for Tomlin. Not what I would prefer at QB  but should be a step up.  

I am not in the opinion that Fields is such an upgrade. Yes he has been in the league longer and is very mobile. However, I ultimately see a more athletic and mobile Mitch II. I definitely don't want to lose a 1, 2, or 3 round draft choice for another under-developed QB with issues. You'll be doing the same thing with Pickett that you've done with Mason. Difference is you wasted a #1 on it. You can't chase mess ups. This is like Coach Tomlin chasing two point conversions against Dallas back in 2016.  You give up on a #1 that you forced into playing too soon and then try to fix it by investing lower draft picks that keep you from developing at other positions.

the defense is a problem, see what they do there.  Peterson, Wallace, Leal, Loudermilk, Adams are players they should move on from. Bring in a legit 2 gap player like Linval for example, get some anchors on the DL. 

I get what you are saying. Loudermilk and Adams are not bad in a back-up ROLE.  Linval Joseph will be 36 when the season starts. You will have him and Cam that you have to put on a snap count.  DJ Reeder will be 30, but you risk these guys on the downside of their playing (Tyson Alualu). Again, they already have Fehoko on the PS and never seemed to use him.

ILB is a questionmark with the injury that Holcomb suffered.   I like the idea  @Steeler Hitman had, with Simmons or Leonard for ILB because Queen would cost too much and better off spending on CB. 

That was exactly my thinking.

the OL better get a new RT and C, move Jones to LT.

Depending on who is brought in. Jones could play RT one more year in a pinch.

Or at least move Daniels to C - get cole off the roster. 

You move Daniels and you weaken the RG position. You are switching what you weaken. You then have to sign or draft a RG. Sign a free agent Center, cut Mason, and try to draft your franchise Center.

Moore is Tomlin guy, he's here no matter what.

Moore's upside is he's still on a rookie deal. He has to be a back-up going forward to improve the OL. I actually am not so sure he makes it if they sign a veteran LT like Donovan Smith. I also heard on a free agent podcast where the host thought that the Ravens may cut Ronnie Stanley due to salary and they are rotating OT's. 

6 hours ago, 43M said:

I thought we could have gotten something, but oh well.   Just happy he's gone.

No one wants to take on that salary. Easier to sign him when he's cut.

4 hours ago, bigben07MVP said:

I am not a fan of this signing.  This smells of Mitch Tribisky Part 2 to me. He can run, throw deep, and at times looks electric. Yet the Bears are ready to move on from him after three seasons.

Here's another Bears top draft pick at QB that the Bears are ready to move on from and start fresh again. Yet the Steelers are trying to use them to jump-start their offense.   He can certainly run and is exceptionally mobile. However, he is as up and down as Kenny who has not yet even played 32 games and has not had a good OL, good offensive scheme, and has been beat-up in the pocket. 

Pickett has been sacked 50+ times and has been hit at least double that. Consistency is needed on the OL. This is not about who I like or dislike, but the best use of your resources. Yes they need improved QB play. However, I feel that will come with improved blocking, protection, a rushing attack, and a good offensive scheme.

They have a new OC, so invest in fixing the OL, and you will see better results with your QB investment.  No need in trading picks or players that you will still need to help fix the other issues mentioned. You are chasing glitter so to speak without realizing that every shinny rock isn't a diamond.  I don't dislike Fields, but I don't think the juice is worth the squeeze and the term gimmicky is because he's mobile and people think that will make the Steelers better. It's not going to help him or the Steelers anymore than sticking with Pickett without fixing the root cause of the problems (OL and offensive scheme). 

11 minutes ago, Steeler Hitman said:

I am not a fan of this signing.  This smells of Mitch Tribisky Part 2 to me.

I am not a fan of Fields overall. He  can make athletic plays and all that but to me that could also lead to many injuries. Also, can he make the passes when it's clutch time?   Not sold on him at all , and now way would I give up much to get him.

Agree with @43M, RD2 pick would be as high as I would go. As for the gimmick player, seems like thats what tomlin likes, goes well with his slogans, cliche's and word salad and of course W-L record in recent years 

Condisering just how bad mitch was here, to call Fields mitch.2 is quite an insult or at least thats how I see it.  

If tomlin likes Fields that much, then watch him tell Khan to get him at all costs. Tomlin is on the hotseat and getting desperate . 

5 hours ago, bigben07MVP said:

Maybe "gimmick" isnt exactly the right word, but he certainly isn't a QB Id ever trust to win games with his arm in the NFL, especially against better teams who know how to gameplan against his mobility.    Take that away and youre essentially left with...Kenny Pickett. 

I'll say what I said before...Fields will usually offer us mainly two results;   1)  the games where he and the running game dominates and we rack up 400+ yards and 2)   the games where opposing teams shut down the running game and force Fields to win with his arm, which I have zero faith he can actually do outside of rare occasions.

Im  personally not willing to give up more than a 3rd for a QB who, if you take away his mobility, wouldnt be worth more than maybe a late rounder.

• Like 1

what is the 5th year option price for a QB currently?  If they were to trade for Fields, they have the potential to have him for 2 years. 

33 minutes ago, 43M said:

2)   the games where opposing teams shut down the running game and force Fields to win with his arm, which I have zero faith he can actually do outside of rare occasions.

we have endured much more of this than we need to.  If the QB can't win with his arm, then get one that can. If one isn't available this year within reach, then build up the OL and get one next year.

tomlin is desperate though, and because of the canada debacle that tomlin allowed, he really doesn't know what KP can do. KP might be much better, maybe not, but no way of knowing thanks tot he tomlin canada regime. 

Talks about the QB that Smith had with Titans doesn't seem as bad as a Fields trade that involves RD1 pick to me.  At least  Ryan knows the offence,  but he is over the hill. I don't care for either in the long run or even now though. Coousins is laughable for the price and wilson is terrible and I can't stand him either. 

Fields can make splash plays, thats what tomlin likes. It goes well with his word salad and cliche's. I would prefer a legit OL that can control games in both run and pass and a legit passer that is clutch and will scan the field for open WR, not just panic and run after first read is covered.

I don't know if I will be able to watch the tomlin steelers much more. They needed to trade or fire tomlin.