State of the Steelers

warfelg

Honestly the WR contracts are getting out of hand. It seems that shortly all teams will have a strong #1 with a big dropoff to #2 WR strictly for salary reasons. Already if you have upper level QB with a true #1 WR you’re investing around $80M per year on those two guys, a shocking 30% of the cap. Throw in an upper tier #2 WR and you’re around 40%. I just don’t see how you build the rest of the team on the 60% remaining, and drafting well so you have guys on rookie contracts is becoming more and more vital. Maybe we should draft a WR at 20!

Edited by SteelersFan2333

4 minutes ago, SteelersFan2333 said:

Honestly the WR contracts are getting out of hand. It seems that shortly all teams will have a strong #1 with a big dropoff to #2 WR strictly for salary reasons. Already if you have upper level QB with a true #1 WR you’re investing around $80M per year on those two guys, a shocking 30% of the cap. Throw in an upper tier #2 WR and you’re around 40%. I just don’t see how you build the rest of the team on the 60% remaining, and drafting well so you have guys on rookie contracts is becoming more and more vital. Maybe we should draft a WR at 20!

Except they’ve gone up in step with the cap so they really aren’t resetting too much in regards to percent of cap. QB and EDGE are really the two with this impacts. 

37 minutes ago, August4th said:

I think I rather they trade for Sutton+ draft a mid-rd WR than trade for aiyuk

It’s for sure the smarter and more realistic option. But Aiyuk would be a lot more fun and he’s one of my favorite players in the league so I won’t be upset if we trade for him, especially after weeks of build up (assuming Arthur Smith has a philosophy change and we throw the ball a lot more than he’s known for).

6 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Except they’ve gone up in step with the cap so they really aren’t resetting too much in regards to percent of cap. QB and EDGE are really the two with this impacts. 

True, and this wouldn't be the deciding factor, but I'd rather have the 5th year option on a WR than a RT/OC. 

41 minutes ago, Chieferific said:

I'm Team Courtland. 

I'm a big fan of Aiyuk like most everyone else, but I have been against giving up a 1st and paying him 25 mil or more per year to get it done. Not when there are much better values like sutton and one of the best wr class in recent memory. Hell I'd be all for moving a 4th for sutton and spending a 3rd on a wr of value that falls.  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, warfelg said:

I think he's celebrating Amon Ra's contract since that sets his floor basically.

I think he’s celebrating that he gets to play for Mike Tomlin and that he has reached a long-term deal with the Steelers 😁

Edited by bigben07MVP