State of the Steelers

warfelg

1 hour ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I’m hesitant on Sko. I used to be fully on board with him, but I’m not so sure anymore. I think he’s destined for guard and I’m not sure he’s tough or strong enough to handle it in there. Its still early in the process though.

Would there be any OT you would consider in Round 1?

39 minutes ago, DR43 said:

I think Paris Johnson could be good. I’m starting to sour on the current top o-line talent a bit. But it’s still early on. There could be risers. The Oklahoma kid, Harrison(I think) looks like he could be a stud. I’d like to see all the workouts and see more clips posted(basically all I do when I “scout” lol). 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DR43 said:

why risk?  Just sign UFA that is proven for this.   Thats  for now, depth and potential would be a pick like 45 or RD3 and see how that goes. 

CB's seem good in this class.

If Addison is there it could be the pic. Remember, they will have to replace johnson next year anyways. 

I wanted trench heavy draft, but it's probably not the best idea especially at OT which there might be only a few good ones in the draft that are known right now. 

Starting to look like this to me:

LT UFA singing

CB Sutton re-signed 

RD1 Addison  - replaces johnson next year and KP already has familiarity 

32 CB1  quality  (Phillips, Forbes etc) might not start right away with Levi and Sutton  as day 1 starters 

45 versatile OL  adds depth to OL incase of injury

16 hours ago, DR43 said:

My current mock draft:

Round 1: Peter Skoronski OT Northwestern

As I've already mentioned about how I feel with Skoronski as an OT in the NFL...college is one thing, but going up against NFL Edge Rushers, with 34" arms, and freakish bend around the corner, he's gonna be eaten alive out there...

Then, there's the 'decision making' issue with Boutte.  I don't know all the details but it apparently got him kicked off the LSU team, which changed his mind about previously not declaring for the draft...then all of a sudden these rumors come out, and he decides to enter the draft...one of those "where's there's smoke, there's fire" thingies...

Like the rest of the picks, but not sure they will be available at the slots you have them...

Edited by Ward4HOF

1 hour ago, Ward4HOF said:

"where's there's smoke, ther's fire" thingies...

does this equate to a flyer, a late RD pick but talent is early rounds maybe Rd1?   Does a team take a chance or is it worth the risk at all?

Sign a vet WR and draft Addison and thats it for WR. Trade Johsnon mid season or of course let him walk next year because the replacement(s) are already here and proved there worth. 

As for Skoronski, time will tell  how he does in the NFL at OT. I still think if the player is technically sound, it can make up for some of these concerns. There have been players that either weren't heavy enough, or tall enough or had long enough arms etc, thats were really good and in some cases exceptional. James Harrison would be an example on defence. 

15 hours ago, DR43 said:

My current mock draft:

Round 1: Peter Skoronski OT Northwestern

Round 2a: Kayshon Boutte WR LSU

Round 2b: Eli Ricks CB Alabama

Round 3: Jack Campbell ILB Iowa

Round 4: Olusegun Oluwatimi Center Michigan

Round 7a: DeWayne McBride RB UAB

Round 7b: Jalen Redmond NT Oklahoma

Boutte got shut out against FSU first game of the season with a couple bad drops and then took to social media after the game (removed all mentions of LSU). There was also reports he was clashing with new head coach Brian Kelly. 

Im sure he’s a very talented player but this combined with the suspect off-the-field stuff after the season makes him the exact opposite of the type of guy we should be adding to our WR room.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bigben07MVP said:

Boutte got shut out against FSU first game of the season with a couple bad drops and then took to social media after the game (removed all mentions of LSU). There was also reports he was clashing with new head coach Brian Kelly. 

Im sure he’s a very talented player but this combined with the suspect off-the-field stuff after the season makes him the exact opposite of the type of guy we should be adding to our WR room.

there must be other WR's the team can sign and draft.  No need for this off field drama, this team finally appears to have a core that is free of drama.  Just remember when schefter called the steelers the kardashians of the nfl , and never go back to that.  I have hopes that Khan won't allow this either, and our leader to be KP  doesn't seem like that either.

2 hours ago, 3rivers said:

As for Skoronski, time will tell  how he does in the NFL at OT. I still think if the player is technically sound, it can make up for some of these concerns. There have been players that either weren't heavy enough, or tall enough or had long enough arms etc, thats were really good and in some cases exceptional. James Harrison would be an example on defence. 

As I've mentioned, it's been almost 20 years since the last OT was drafted in the 1st Rd with sub 33" arms.  And in the last 5 years, only one OT was drafted in the 1st 3 rounds of the draft, with arms shorter than 33".  I'm not saying that it's impossible that Skoronski will be able to be play OT in the NFL, (especially if his Wingspan measures out longer than 80", which is rare), I'm just saying that the odds are stacked against him that a team will take that chance, without having a plan B for him to be slotted into a startin OG spot, instead.

In 2021, Rashawn Slater was drafted with exactly 33" arms as an OT, but his Wingspan was 80 1/8", so that matters.  And he's been largely successful in the NFL, as well, so far.  But Skoronski will largely be viewed as an OG, and no team should draft him in the 1st, with designs that he will definitely, only, be an OT, because the odds are stacked against him, and a team is taking a big risk.  Later rounds??  Sure, but Skoronski is too good to not be drafted in the first couple of rounds, but that team needs to also have a plan in place for him to fill an interior OL position.  If not, again...huge risk.

There are just some measurements that are viewed as critical for certain positions, and there are 'thresholds' that need to be met.  If they aren't, then nearly 100% of GMs, (or whatever a teams decsion maker for drafts is called) will not take that chance.

5 hours ago, Ward4HOF said:

There are just some measurements that are viewed as critical for certain positions, and there are 'thresholds' that need to be met.  If they aren't, then nearly 100% of GMs, (or whatever a teams decsion maker for drafts is called) will not take that chance.

fair enough, so is there a chance Skoronski falls to 32 or 45?

5 hours ago, August4th said:

Keeping a eye on Flores career, because if Tomlin retires in the near future while Flores is still a DC... He's definitely getting interviewed 

If Flores has even a remotely decent defense next season in Minny, he will likely get a HC job in 2024.

And I dont see Tomlin retiring anytime soon,  but ya never know.

Edited by 43M
  • Like 1

On 2/6/2023 at 12:17 PM, MOSteelers56 said:

I think Paris Johnson could be good. I’m starting to sour on the current top o-line talent a bit. But it’s still early on. There could be risers. The Oklahoma kid, Harrison(I think) looks like he could be a stud. I’d like to see all the workouts and see more clips posted(basically all I do when I “scout” lol). 

Agree. P.Johnson and A.Harrison are really the best contenders. 
May be a hair early for Harrison at 17, but def in RD 2.

I do really like B.Jones from Georgia, but I think he and P.Skoronski
might both move inside  due to length. I think B.Jones has higher upside, 
but that really is just my gut more than anything, as he's young.
I think they could both slip a bit with C.Torrence rising, but its early.

I read somewhere the Steelers might consider D.Wright the OT from 
Tennessee as more of a guard, but not sure how accurate that is.

J.Duncan is also a interesting OT in the 2nd/3rd.

M.Bergeron (RT) and B.Freeland also seem to be rated highly by some.

For what it's worth the kid C.Mauch seems to be capable of playing three
positions and some analyst said he could be a pro bowl center if played there.

• Like 1

On 2/5/2023 at 8:17 PM, MOSteelers56 said:

Yeah, I knda agree on Harrison.  If we are looking to upgrade Moore, which, I'm not sure is absolutely necessary, as he seemed to progress somewhat this season, and might be worth giving one more year to prove himself. But Okorafor, who we just signed to a fairly hefty contract recently, now, he, IMO, should be upgraded, possibly.

Harrison would be a good choice, either way, I think...

Edited by Ward4HOF