State of the Steelers

warfelg

2 hours ago, mwalker said:

Agree. P.Johnson and A.Harrison are really the best contenders. 
May be a hair early for Harrison at 17, but def in RD 2.

I do really like B.Jones from Georgia, but I think he and P.Skoronski
might both move inside  due to length. I think B.Jones has higher upside, 
but that really is just my gut more than anything, as he's young.
I think they could both slip a bit with C.Torrence rising, but its early.

I read somewhere the Steelers might consider D.Wright the OT from 
Tennessee as more of a guard, but not sure how accurate that is.

J.Duncan is also a interesting OT in the 2nd/3rd.

M.Bergeron (RT) and B.Freeland also seem to be rated highly by some.

For what it's worth the kid C.Mauch seems to be capable of playing three
positions and some analyst said he could be a pro bowl center if played there.

Actually, I think you are spot on, in your analysis of where these guys best fit, especially Bergeron and Freeland.  If we grab a DB at 17, either Bergeron or Freeland, if they test out well at the Combine, showed well at the Senior Bowl, and might be a solid choice at 32.

Mauch, for the same reasons as Skoronski, will need to move inside.  He seems to have that 'lunchpail mentality' that would be perfect at OC.  I worry that he might be a bit tall for OC, but I'd bet on him to be able to work to overcome that...sadly, short arms are more difficult to overcome at Tackle.

Edited by Ward4HOF

Pass on Harrison.    

As I said, Id much rather go for Torrence and get a likely CLEAR upgrade at LG, than draft Harrison, who IMO, will only be a marginal upgrade over Moore, at best (as a rookie, anyway).

I dont even necessarily dislike Harrison in rd 2, but people seem like they are trying to force Moore out of LT, when there are other positions that need more immediate attention.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, 3rivers said:

fair enough, so is there a chance Skoronski falls to 32 or 45?

IMO, no.  I think right now, until official combine measurements come out, he'll continue to be mocked as he has been, by the 'draftniks', in the 8th-20th overall pick, but I suspect most teams already have him slotted as a late 1st--the rumor is out there about his short arms, and heck DD fell to 23, was it?  And he was talked about as being the best OG prospect since Hutchinson, so my guess, if he measures where I suspect, with 32 3/4" or less arm length, and sub 79" Wingspan, most teams will put him as an IOL prospect, who they might try out at OT, if they were to get him in, as I think there will still be 'hope' from at least 2-3 teams, so it depends on where those teams are drafting.

And heck, if KhaTodl???  KhaWeiTom??? Tom-an-Wei??? Or just TomKhan??? or Weilin??(That could be an actual Chinese name, you know...) Or is it going to be my favorite "TomKhadl"... what are we using now since we don't have 'tombert' anymore, lol???

Anyway, if they like him at 17, thinking he'll be our LG of the next dozen years, then I'm okay with that, but any team, making the assumption that they are drafting Skoronski to be their LT of the future, and have zero back-up plans for him, well, they might be in for a disappointment...too much to chance with a 1st Rd pick, IMO.

Sorry...longwinded answer to your simple question.  The short version? Early-to-Mid 20s, is my guess.

see how this goes in the draft, all it takes is one team to draft the player, then off to the next. 

As much as I want the trenches addressed,  they should be done so with a mix of UFA, Trade and draft picks. As a result, 1 Ol and 1DL early in the draft and then at least 1 of either in UFA. With value at DT in UFA every year,  thats a no brainer. Look how the Eagles got Suh and Joseph for example. 

Addison is looking like the pick that makes the most sense, especially since johnson will be gone next year anyways and as they say, Addison has great catching ability, which  johnson has issues with being consistent. 

Combine will also have players go up the boards of various teams. Then teams will trade up a lot for a player if they are desperate, much like colbert did with bush.

8 hours ago, 43M said:

Pass on Harrison.    

As I said, Id much rather go for Torrence and get a likely CLEAR upgrade at LG, than draft Harrison, who IMO, will only be a marginal upgrade over Moore, at best (as a rookie, anyway).

I dont even necessarily dislike Harrison in rd 2, but people seem like they are trying to force Moore out of LT, when there are other positions that need more immediate attention.

+1

On 2/5/2023 at 4:34 PM, DR43 said:

Would there be any OT you would consider in Round 1?

Broderick Jones is a first round talent. Guard or tackle. Safe.

Paris Johnson is more athlete than tackle. I wouldn't take him.

Skronski is a good technician, but...

I think the value for OT in this draft is to wait until #32. Essentially, letting people pick who they want and getting the better player.

Dawand Jones. Bergeron. Will make it. I like Jordan Morgan as a 3rd-4th rd LT. Many guys like Mark Evans (Pine Bluff) will be like 7th rounders and outperform the guys in the first round

As is tradition....

The problem with OL is guys like Cody Mauch are a serviceable starter for a decade and you have to pay the premium bc someone took him in the top 50. Because that's what they valued him at.

He pulls up the Steve Avila's and really good OL prospects with him into the second round

If you want to improve your OL you're gonna have to do so with one of your first three picks

And that's not good for business

Dan Moore and Dawand Jones at RG and RT, respectively, are both "ProBowlers". You'll push people around and be able to run the ball. Maybe just one gets the All-Pro nod.

Find a center/guard like Avila or some other version of quick/strong and you'll have found a running game. Which creates a play action game. Which results in Muthhhh chants

It's really important to get Dan Moore in his right spot for his development and developing the best line in the NFL. They both go hand in hand.

Prefer UFA Dillard (or someone else thats good) for LT, because what will be there when we draft won't be as good most likely. If htis draft was deep for OT, thats  a different conversation but it isn't. 

So, do you want better OL or to save some cap? I would prefer better for OL, and risk lower cost rookies elsewhere.

Good OD or OT converted to OG can be had after pick #17 range. 

2 hours ago, Raidersfan1 said:

Broderick Jones is a first round talent. Guard or tackle. Safe.

Paris Johnson is more athlete than tackle. I wouldn't take him.

Skronski is a good technician, but...

I think the value for OT in this draft is to wait until #32. Essentially, letting people pick who they want and getting the better player.

Dawand Jones. Bergeron. Will make it. I like Jordan Morgan as a 3rd-4th rd LT. Many guys like Mark Evans (Pine Bluff) will be like 7th rounders and outperform the guys in the first round

As is tradition....

J.Morgan headed back to Arizona. 

Are the Steelers expecting any compensatory picks?
I did three different mocks on PFF(no trades)

draft A:

17. Jordan Addison WR USC

32. Emmanuel Forbes CB MISS ST

49. Ketone White ED GT

80. Steve Avila OL TCU

120. Owen Pappoe LB AUB

195. Jerrod Clark DL COAST CAR

236. Noah Gindorff TE NDSU

draft B:

17. Joey Porter JR CB PSU

32. Siaki Ika DL BAY

49. Parker Washington WR PSU

80. Noah Sewell LB ORE

120. olusegun Oluwatimi OL MICH

195. Brenton Cox JR ED UF

236. Noah Gindorff TE NDSU

draft C :

17. Trenton Simpson LB CLEM

32. Darnell Wright OL TENN

49. Garrett Williams CB SYRACUSE 

80. Jacqueline Roy DL LSU

120. Colby Wooden ED AUB

195: Luke Schoonmaker TE MICH

236: Jayden Reed WR MICH ST

Edited by Displayname
Missing word

1 hour ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Nope. They did a story on that about a week ago. We were pretty active in FA so they cancelled our losses. 

If it were up to me, we wouldnt have any comp picks for a few years.   This team IMO needs to be more active in free agency while we have a QB under a rookie deal.   Im not saying go crazy, but we need to make a couple impact signings.

However, given that all we will likely do is more largely useless "Tomlin Tweaks" and add maybe one lower-mid range free agent ala James Daniels, I seriously doubt it happens.

• Like 1

Just now, 43M said:

If it were up to me, we wouldnt have any comp picks for a few years.   This team IMO needs to be more active in free agency while we have a QB under a rookie deal.   Im not saying go crazy, but we need to make a couple impact signings.

However, given that all we will likely do is more largely useless "Tomlin Tweaks" and add maybe one lower-mid range free agent ala James Daniels, I seriously doubt it happens.

Yep…I said last year, a QB on a rookie deal is the golden ticket…you can afford to overpay 2-3 guys in FA if you want to.

I know they’re only ok capwise this offseason but they’re more than good after next year.

They can afford to front load some deals if they want to.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, mwalker said:

J.Morgan headed back to Arizona. 

It's probably for the best. Now I gotta actually look for these guys

1 hour ago, 43M said:

1) Deion Jones LB - 3 years, $27m

He replaces both Bush and Jack. Kinda like I don't need either of you. You got Robinson. Plus get like a Dee Winters. Or Daiyan Henley. Some lip service by Dulac. Robinson might get a chance to start. That's crazy. I'd love to give him a shot as the two vs a rookie. And for him to continue to develop in a special teams role.

Jones is a top three UFA signing in Steelers history. Over time will be the best signing in Steelers free agency history (Farrior, Haden, Hartings)

You replace Shazier at 4.38 with Jones at 4.38. "It's so good, why didn't I think of that"??? - Khan 

2) Dawaune Smoot EDGE - 4 years, $30m ($8m up-front)

Totally unnecessary splurge. Or is it? Coming off an Achilles. This isn't so good. Or is it? This is a franchise signing to mitigate one of the off-season storylines. To pay Highsmith or not to pay Highsmith. I get a major discount on Smoot. Who would be in that top 25 pass rushers category vs like top 10 and hungry for $100m

Off the injury. Given long term outlook. This is a bargain.

3) Byron Murphy 3 years, $39m

Highly controversial signing bc his name's not Cam Sutton. Offers slot and outside flexibility. He's the more twitched up version of Levi Wallace.

I expect Sutton to get $15m a year. I wouldn't pay him half that. Murphy is only 25 and I get the better player a the lower price tag. That's good business.

Right now, I got Murphy, Wallace, WJIII. It's competitive and you add a CB but more so safety/slot for me.

WJIII contract reworking

$12m salary = $4m salary + (8m salary/3) = $6.66m cap figure in 2023.

The decision for me is I would rather have WJIII at $6m than Sutton at $15m. 

Last YEAR UFA

Last year they were desperate and they filled needs. Gimme a body. Anybody. At guard. Regardless of scheme fit. That's why you got Daniels. At $11m year two. For a RIGHT GUARD. The least important position on the line. 

Dan Moore at that right guard position is top 3 in the league. 6'5" 312 28 reps at a 7.58. Broderick Jones might test like that.

Keep that in mind on Jones. As a slam dunk RG Pro Bowl caliber player

The problem with Daniels and Cole is line continuity. The offensive line need to be like men whose attributes complement each other because they act as a single unit. Right now, they lack an identity. That's why I'm not high on a pulse at $11m when I already have the Pro Bowl replacement in Dan Moore on the roster. It seems like a redundancy.

I get Dawand Jones at RT and Dan Moore at RG and my identity is we push people around because we're bigger than you.

Sounds like a good identity for the concept of protection. 

Edited by Raidersfan1