Week 6, Patriots at Browns

Bucketheadsdad

It's week 6, and many of us are feeling lousy about where our team is at the moment  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Browns
    • Patriots
    • Hornby and Kiwi
    • We find a way for the game to end in a tie
  2. 2. How many yards rushing do the Browns give up?

• 50 or less
    • 51-100
    • 100-150
    • Good lord, we got gashed again

Today wasn’t even surprising tbh.  

This is what we look like every week, expect the offense struggled today. But like, we’re starting a backup QB so we knew this would happen from time to time. This was one of those games where defense and ST would need to pull us through.  Instead they allowed 38 points to a rookie mid round QB.

We’re well beyond the point woods has needed to go.  Every week he’s here is just a bad look for Stefanski.

43 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Yeah this is coaching.  Is this a top 5 defense?  No.  Is it talented enough to be competitive and not get their teeth kicked in every week?  Absolutely.

This defense will continue to be a liability until Woods is gone.

Yeah, I think some slightly overrated the talent on defense heading into the season. We're weak at DT, LB and we lack a true FS. But there's more than enough talent for our defense to at least be average, if not top 10ish.

It comes down to Woods.

While the defense isn't the main reason we lost today, they're the main reason we lost most games and they still weren't exactly good today - our offense was just worse.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Today wasn’t even surprising tbh.  

This is what we look like every week, expect the offense struggled today. But like, we’re starting a backup QB so we knew this would happen from time to time. This was one of those games where defense and ST would need to pull us through.  Instead they allowed 38 points to a rookie mid round QB.

We’re well beyond the point woods has needed to go.  Every week he’s here is just a bad look for Stefanski.

If Woods isn't fired by the bye week, then Stefanski will have a lot to answer for.

4 minutes ago, DawgX said:

If Woods isn't fired by the bye week, then Stefanski will have a lot to answer for.

I think we keep everyone in tact at this point till Deshaun gets back. 

There’s not a clear answer for someone to take over at DC or ST. Might as well keep everyone together who had to go through this crazy offseason. Maybe once our real team is out there it’ll look correct. 

6 minutes ago, DawgX said:

Yeah, I think some slightly overrated the talent on defense heading into the season. We're weak at DT, LB and we lack a true FS. But there's more than enough talent for our defense to at least be average, if not top 10ish.

It comes down to Woods.

While the defense isn't the main reason we lost today, they're the main reason we lost most games and they still weren't exactly good today - our offense was just worse.

The offense wasn’t good, but they’re playing with a backup QB.  There’s at least a valid reason.

Mayfield, Flacco, Trubisky, Mariota, Herbert and Zappe.  Those are the QBs we’ve played this season and we’re having this discussion.  This is absolutely unacceptable at this point.

7 minutes ago, DawgX said:

I guess I just don’t see the point in waiting.  If we fire him now, is the defense gonna look… what… disorganized?  Incompetent?  Like, we’re already there.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, brownie man said:

I think we keep everyone in tact at this point till Deshaun gets back. 

There’s not a clear answer for someone to take over at DC or ST. Might as well keep everyone together who had to go through this crazy offseason. Maybe once our real team is out there it’ll look correct. 

Deshaun isn’t fixing our defense.  No reason to wait for him to return just to see woods continue to look clueless.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

The offense wasn’t good, but they’re playing with a backup QB.  There’s at least a valid reason.

Mayfield, Flacco, Trubisky, Mariota, Herbert and Zappe.  Those are the QBs we’ve played this season and we’re having this discussion.  This is absolutely unacceptable at this point.

Just imagine what a team like Buffalo with Josh Allen is gonna do to us.

I guess I just don’t see the point in waiting.  If we fire him now, is the defense gonna look… what… disorganized?  Incompetent?  Like, we’re already there.

I'm all for firing him like yesterday. But at least if they fire him during the bye week that'll give the interim DC an extra week to get ready. Like I've said before, I still don't think we do fire him until the end of the season, although we should do it ASAP.

• Like 1

Okay, y'all watching games obviously had a better grasp of how this game was going to go than I did. I just looked at a 3rd string QB, poor offensive weapons and a generally uninspiring roster going against a much more talented roster with a QB many said was a big improvement over last year.

Sounds like the QB struggled so we had him drop back to pass 50 times which seems like a reoccurring problem. Seems like there is still no identity on defense and everyone just plays their role and team unity be damned. Chubb gets a dozen carries.

I'm sorry, I still haven't seen anything that makes me think Stefanski is elevating the roster. He should have removed Woods long ago. He doesn't seem to trust Nick Chubb for some reason. He gets pass happy when the passing game isn't working.

I haven't been watching the games though so I haven't been falling back in love every time that they show him on the sidelines.

On to 2023.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

Okay, y'all watching games obviously had a better grasp of how this game was going to go than I did. I just looked at a 3rd string QB, poor offensive weapons and a generally uninspiring roster going against a much more talented roster with a QB many said was a big improvement over last year.

Sounds like the QB struggled so we had him drop back to pass 50 times which seems like a reoccurring problem. Seems like there is still no identity on defense and everyone just plays their role and team unity be damned. Chubb gets a dozen carries.

I'm sorry, I still haven't seen anything that makes me think Stefanski is elevating the roster. He should have removed Woods long ago. He doesn't seem to trust Nick Chubb for some reason. He gets pass happy when the passing game isn't working.

I haven't been watching the games though so I haven't been falling back in love every time that they show him on the sidelines.

On to 2023.

The offense, at least schematically, wasn’t bad today. Lots of open receivers and plays to be made.  Brissett just missed on a ton of throws and ones he didn’t miss were often dropped.

The lack of running was irking, but BB was definitely keyed into stopping it.  He more or less said “you’re not gonna run, Jacoby is gonna have to beat us”. And he didn’t.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

Jacoby flat out has GOT to stop with the dumb turnovers.

That was supposed to be his strongest skill.

He shouldn’t be out there as much as he is. Maybe as a real backup he wouldn’t have an issue. But starting this many games isn’t right for him. 

8 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

The offense, at least schematically, wasn’t bad today. Lots of open receivers and plays to be made.  Brissett just missed on a ton of throws and ones he didn’t miss were often dropped.

The lack of running was irking, but BB was definitely keyed into stopping it.  He more or less said “you’re not gonna run, Jacoby is gonna have to beat us”. And he didn’t.

I mean the best coach maybe ever game planned around a backup QB who he drafted? We are all shocked. 

KS has some thinking to do and the FO has some thinking to do.  They can’t expect this team to not have a chance to win in a game like today when the running game is stopped.  The D did step up but then ST made 2 dumb mistakes. Can’t muff that punt or touch the ball on the onside kick. 

Edited by JDD
  • Like 1

Well if you're built to run and you have Nick Chubb you should still be able to run. You may have to run something to keep the defense off balance with outside runs or a couple sneaky playaction passes

9 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

This. And BB seemed to take away the intermediate passing game. He either was gonna make us beat them deep or only allow really short passes.

Stefanski definitely went away from the running game too much, though. Chubb was relatively contained, but he still had a few good runs despite not getting many carries. Dude was still averaging 4.7 YPC.

32 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

Well if you're built to run and you have Nick Chubb you should still be able to run. You may have to run something to keep the defense off balance with outside runs or a couple sneaky playaction passes

I won’t argue we should have run it more, but what I’m saying is the play calling was actually working well, it was the play execution, particularly from the QB position that was not.