Week 6, Patriots at Browns

Bucketheadsdad

It's week 6, and many of us are feeling lousy about where our team is at the moment  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Browns
    • Patriots
    • Hornby and Kiwi
    • We find a way for the game to end in a tie
  2. 2. How many yards rushing do the Browns give up?

• 50 or less
    • 51-100
    • 100-150
    • Good lord, we got gashed again

1 minute ago, roger murdock said:

The one stunning thing about Stefanski is it seems the games we pass the most in are the game we suck at passing. 

We've had so many games with <25 pass attempts where our QB looks good, but so so so many with 40+  when the QBs is terrible the whole time 

I’d say there’s a definite correlation if our quarterbacks weren’t Brissett and Mayfield.

Also, today was awesome. I went to Hocking Hills for an Old Man’s Cave hike with my family. Infinitely better than the rest of you who watched this mess.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I’d say there’s a definite correlation if our quarterbacks weren’t Brissett and Mayfield.

Also, today was awesome. I went to Hocking Hills for an Old Man’s Cave hike with my family. Infinitely better than the rest of you who watched this mess.

Nice

35 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I won’t argue we should have run it more, but what I’m saying is the play calling was actually working well, it was the play execution, particularly from the QB position that was not.

So if your players aren't executing just keep doing it and hope something changes? Or play to your strength where you won't turn the ball over and you know eventually Chubb will eat.

I dunno, kudos to Stefanski for calling a good game I guess and shame on Berry for not giving us a roster we can win with.

1 hour ago, MWil23 said:

LOL, my alarm went off for me to get up to watch the game and I decided to just stay in bed....glad I made the right call :)

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

So if your players aren't executing just keep doing it and hope something changes? Or play to your strength where you won't turn the ball over and you know eventually Chubb will eat.

I’ve said multiple times he should have run it more.

My point is simply the play designs and calls were effective. Brissett has played much better than today all season.  At some point you’ve got to make plays in the passing game, especially when you’re down multiple scores. The turnovers weren’t misreads tbh, just ****ty throws. When players are getting open and plays aren’t being made by the players, it’s hard to think “damned coaches”.

45 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

I dunno, kudos to Stefanski for calling a good game I guess and shame on Berry for not giving us a roster we can win with.

I think if the rapist is playing QB this game looks much different, at least offensively.  No team is gonna consistently be great offensively with a backup QB.

Defensively the whole thing is a mess.

The roster is fine imo.  Unless Berry has manage to whiff on literally every defensive player he’s drafted and proven pro bowl talents like Ward, JJIII, Clowney and Garrett just forgot how to play football.  Defense and special teams coaching is a real problem right now.

idgaf what the offense does, you’re not gonna win a lot of games allowing 38 points.  People are upset with the offense because it didn’t manage to keep us in a game for once this season, but the defense remains the problem imo.

21 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I think if the rapist is playing QB this game looks much different, at least offensively.  No team is gonna consistently be great offensively with a backup QB.

Defensively the whole thing is a mess.

The roster is fine imo.  Unless Berry has manage to whiff on literally every defensive player he’s drafted and proven pro bowl talents like Ward, JJIII, Clowney and Garrett just forgot how to play football.  Defense and special teams coaching is a real problem right now.

idgaf what the offense does, you’re not gonna win a lot of games allowing 38 points.  People are upset with the offense because it didn’t manage to keep us in a game for once this season, but the defense remains the problem imo.

I'm sure with Watson playing it would look better but we are facing a 3rd string QB and we're playing our backup that we signed to start and has been getting starter reps all season. Maybe we can just write it off as a bad day. Again.

As far as giving up 38 points, if you take away the points scored off turnovers we win 15-14. The defense still has a job to do and it isn't let them score if the offense screws up but when was the last time we had a defense that did that? I can't remember.

All I'm hearing is that we have the front office to make this team good. We have the coach to make this team good. We have the players to make this team good. We haven't been good in a couple years. It's Baker's fault. It's Brissett's fault. Meanwhile we lose to Mariota, Flacco and Zappe. I think there is something bigger. Maybe we over value our front office/players. Maybe we over value our coaching. We are over valuing something.

Maybe Watson can save the day and everything goes away. What happens if he doesn't? Will Stefanski survive a 3-14 season? 5-11? Watson isn't going anywhere (except perhaps prison at some point) and the same with our core group of players. Coaching needs to find a way to beat mediocre teams with this roster.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, MWil23 said:

I left to go to a meeting- it was great.

9 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

I'm sure with Watson playing it would look better but we are facing a 3rd string QB and we're playing our backup that we signed to start and has been getting starter reps all season. Maybe we can just write it off as a bad day. Again.

I won’t argue Brissett needs to play better.  The frustrating part about his play yesterday was the issue was poor throws.  Like, the guy was open, he identified the right dude and then was just either early/late/missed the throw entirely. Even on passes he completed he missed throws.  Can’t happen that much.

Additionally, as @JDD pointed out I believe, arguably the greatest coach and defensive mind of all time drafted the dude and watched him every day in practice.  He knows what he does well and where he struggles and he built a game plan around that.  That’s what he does.  

As far as Zappe, he had a big day.  He’s not been producing like that regularly.  He has more passing yards yesterday than the last 2 weeks combined.  That’s life with a backup tbh. It’s also what happens when you play a Joe woods defense.

As far as giving up 38 points, if you take away the points scored off turnovers we win 15-14. The defense still has a job to do and it isn't let them score if the offense screws up but when was the last time we had a defense that did that? I can't remember.

You’re not wrong, but offenses aren’t going to turn the ball over at times and struggle at times, just like defenses are going to allow touchdowns.  Ideally your offense puts up 35 and your defense allows a couple FGs and life is grand but that’s not reality.  Some games you’re going to have to score 40+ and others your defense is gonna have to hold them to single digits.

The offense didn’t hold up their end yesterday, but that’s really the fist time all season.  With a middling defense this team is 4-2 or 5-1.

All I'm hearing is that we have the front office to make this team good. We have the coach to make this team good. We have the players to make this team good. We haven't been good in a couple years. It's Baker's fault. It's Brissett's fault. Meanwhile we lose to Mariota, Flacco and Zappe. I think there is something bigger. Maybe we over value our front office/players. Maybe we over value our coaching. We are over valuing something.

Are we?  Like I just said, I think with a middling defense we’re at worst 4-2 with a backup QB starting and Ward, Clowney, Garrett, Walker, Greedy, Conklin, etc all having missed some time.

The issue is Woods and the defense imo. We can’t stop anyone. We don’t get turnovers or pressure.  We are terrible against the run.

Our pass rush is legitimately one freak of nature going hulk mode.  We have like 5 turnovers this season and 2-3 of them are Myles forcing a fumble on a sack.

I think if we can fix the defense that it will cure most of what ails us.  Getting Watson back only improves the offense. York will likely get better with experience too.

Maybe Watson can save the day and everything goes away. What happens if he doesn't? Will Stefanski survive a 3-14 season? 5-11? Watson isn't going anywhere (except perhaps prison at some point) and the same with our core group of players. Coaching needs to find a way to beat mediocre teams with this roster.

This season you mean?  Yeah I think he does.  I’m assuming the team thought Watson would get 6ish games as that had been the precedent for off field issues without an indictment.  I think the 11 games paired with the possible rust from Watson when he returns will give Stefanski a pass for this season.  Woods and Priefer?  Absolutely not.

Next year will be the make or break season imo.  Stefanski will be expected to make the playoffs and compete or he’s likely gone. 

I think there’s a lot to like here and a couple things in particular that need to be corrected.  I’d just rather not throw the baby out with the bath water when it comes to guys like Stefanski and Berry.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Delpit is the edge setter there, but we are still a full gap short on the front side once we "rotate". JJ3 is responsible for the B gap between 51 and 77 and Delpit is between 85 and 51 and moves inside biting hard on the RB action. Absolutely awful gap integrity and discipline.

5 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Delpit is the edge setter there, but we are still a full gap short on the front side once we "rotate". JJ3 is responsible for the B gap between 51 and 77 and Delpit is between 85 and 51 and moves inside biting hard on the RB action. Absolutely awful gap integrity and discipline.

“What do you mean.. “gaps”?”  - Joe Woods, probably 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

“What do you mean.. “gaps”?”  - Joe Woods, probably 

If Joe Woods was sleepless last week after a week of gameplanning (LOL at that meme interview), I can't imagine what he must be like this week.

Lamar and Co are going to destroy this defense.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

If Joe Woods was sleepless last week after a week of gameplanning (LOL at that meme interview), I can't imagine what he must be like this week.

Lamar and Co are going to destroy this defense.

What’s really the most shocking thing to me is how everyone just keeps going about their business. I get not firing a coach until a bye week perhaps, but keeping the same group of starters?  No one benched??  Idk man.  If it’s the players, ok, try someone new. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Bro he’s already onto the next week, playing online halo with baker right now. No way this dude gameplans. 
Delpit is awful. 
Missed the game. “Miss” might not be the right term though.

• Like 2