The 2023-2024 Sam Howell thread

aceinthehouse

5 hours ago, taylor made said:

Two of Sam's best games were against the Eagles. He seems to have their number for whatever reason. I'm waiting for him to do something equally impressive against someone else. He's Jekyll and Hyde at the moment. Looking forward to Sam vs Bellicheck. I think it's gonna tell us a lot about Sam. 

Sam was good in the 2nd half vs Denver.  He had 3 TD passes at Atlanta. So, he's played decent in other games too. He essentially a rookie QB still. I don't think it's fair to make his measuring stick game an elite defensive mind like Bill Belichick but, if Howell plays good to great vs a Belichick D it will further cement that he could be our franchise QB.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Hate to continue to be that guy but Logan Thomas is the 10th most productive TE in the NFL based on fantasy stats and he missed a game bc of the cheap shot he received from Kareem Jackson on his best catch as a Washington player miraculously holding onto that ball for a TD.

Logan has been a very good TE for Howell this year. He's averaging 4 catches a game & has 3 TDs.

He's on pace for 66 recs, 650 yds & 7 TDs in 16 games.

That's frankly a lot better than I thought Logan Thomas was doing. John Bates' numbers are up too actually. Cole Turner started off pretty strong too but he hasn't done much recently. I'll give credit to our TE group so far this year

Those numbers that @turtle28posted are exactly why I am surprised that Thomas wasn’t traded to a contender.  He surely could have helped with depth on a contender, and filled in as emergency QB depth.  Maybe it was a mid-round pick, but that is still valuable with the amount of FAs we are going to have and the pending roster turnover.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, taylor made said:

That's frankly a lot better than I thought Logan Thomas was doing. John Bates' numbers are up too actually. Cole Turner started off pretty strong too but he hasn't done much recently. I'll give credit to our TE group so far this year

Turner is Logan’s backup, he doesn't get snaps when Logan plays. So, it shouldn't be a surprise he's not doing anything lately. Turnes did when Logan missed with the concussion but won't when Logan plays.

On 11/4/2023 at 7:46 PM, naptownskinsfan said:

Those numbers that @turtle28posted are exactly why I am surprised that Thomas wasn’t traded to a contender.  He surely could have helped with depth on a contender, and filled in as emergency QB depth.  Maybe it was a mid-round pick, but that is still valuable with the amount of FAs we are going to have and the pending roster turnover.  

Yeah. Hard to think of teams who need an upgrade at TE and are playoff contenders though. I guess Miami?

Edited by turtle28

On 11/4/2023 at 11:58 AM, taylor made said:

Two of Sam's best games were against the Eagles. He seems to have their number for whatever reason. I'm waiting for him to do something equally impressive against someone else. He's Jekyll and Hyde at the moment. Looking forward to Sam vs Bellicheck. I think it's gonna tell us a lot about Sam. 

How about now?

• Like 2

We all know about the sacks.

But in his first 10 starts, Sam Howell has thrown for 2640 yards, 15 TDs and 10 INTs...becoming the FIRST Washington QB to eclipse the 2500 mark in his first 10 starts. 

He's the 12th QB all-time to surpass the milestone in 10 or fewer games.

And the first since Joe Burrow and Justin Herbert did it in 2020.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

We all know about the sacks.

But in his first 10 starts, Sam Howell has thrown for 2640 yards, 15 TDs and 10 INTs...becoming the FIRST Washington QB to eclipse the 2500 mark in his first 10 starts. 

He's the 12th QB all-time to surpass the milestone in 10 or fewer games.

And the first since Joe Burrow and Justin Herbert did it in 2020.

5 QBs were picked before Howell. FIVE! 

Kenny Pickett

Desmond Ridder 

Malik Willis 

Matt Corral 

Bailey Zappe

Which one of these guys looks anywhere close to what we’ve seen from Howell? If the Steelers picked Howell with the Pickett choice would anybody be questioning that pick? For a 5th round pick this is pretty remarkable stuff he’s doing. That pass to McLaurin on the slant between three defenders was just incredible. 

All the high draft picks and money used to find a QB and this franchise finds one in the 4th round and let him walk and now inexplicably appears to have found one in the 5th round. This is truly the blind squirrel finding a nut thing playing out in real life. It’s almost like the football gods are throwing this team a bone and saying “here dummies”. 

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, rizzy said:

I don't know if anyone else has said this but Howell reminds me of a smaller Rookie Wentz. Big arm to make throws and escapes impossible situations and turns it into a positive.

To me, he reminds me of Russell Wilson or even a bit of Dak Prescott. Big arm, more mobile than appears and can make any throw all over the field. 

• Like 3

I think Russell Wilson is the best comparable to SH for QBs 6’ and under who possess a strong arm with accuracy and the mobility to scramble to extend plays and planned runs. 
I believe SH said he admired D. Brees but his arm wasn’t as strong, he wasn’t as stout and planned runs weren’t part of the plan with him. 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

To me, he reminds me of Russell Wilson or even a bit of Dak Prescott. Big arm, more mobile than appears and can make any throw all over the field. 

I think Russell is a good comparison. I just went with Wentz because I feel like we are putting the team on Howell's back instead of asking him to just make a play every once in a while like the Cowboys/Seahawks did with Dak/Russ

• Like 2

15 hours ago, lavar703 said:

5 QBs were picked before Howell. FIVE! 

Kenny Pickett

Desmond Ridder 

Malik Willis 

Matt Corral 

Bailey Zappe

Which one of these guys looks anywhere close to what we’ve seen from Howell? If the Steelers picked Howell with the Pickett choice would anybody be questioning that pick? For a 5th round pick this is pretty remarkable stuff he’s doing. That pass to McLaurin on the slant between three defenders was just incredible. 

All the high draft picks and money used to find a QB and this franchise finds one in the 4th round and let him walk and now inexplicably appears to have found one in the 5th round. This is truly the blind squirrel finding a nut thing playing out in real life. It’s almost like the football gods are throwing this team a bone and saying “here dummies”. 

Possibly. The Steelers offense is in a lot of ways held back by their offensive coordinator Matt Canada which some analysts, Big Ben or other teams coaches/executives have called it boring, predictable and elementary.

The offensive skill positions in Pittsburgh aren’t as good as the commanders IMO especially with Pat F out who Pickett had a great report with last year and was Pickett’s top target.

Maybe if Sam is in Pitt, he’s better than what Pickett is showing but 1. They’re offensive coaching & scheme are pedestrian and 2. Beyond Pickett being w/o Pat F, his most reliable WR and best route runner Diontae Johnson missed 3 and a half games with a hamstring injury.