The 2023-2024 Sam Howell thread

aceinthehouse

34 minutes ago, offbyone said:

The other interesting thing about that picture is you have all our receivers blanketed and there still appears to be 2 safeties splitting the field with no one to cover.  This makes me think either they are handling our oline easily without extra rushers or they are purposely playing this defense because they aren't scared to give Howell extra time.  Rather, they want to force him to throw the ball and make mistakes.  Lot of bad things implied from that picture, of course it is just a moment in time.

So this is where I always said Scott Turner succeeded. That guy could scheme open some receivers. Jay Gruden was great at it as well. They couldn't call a consistent game to save their lives so it killed off any of the success they were having but right now it seems the receivers are blanketed. Not always the case but the metrics seem to back that up as well. I wonder how much of Bienemy's offense relies on an explosive TE opening things up? And if that's the case why didn't we just pick Dalton Kincaid at 16? Seems like that was a lost opportunity. Like how much better would things be right now had they selected Kincaid, Torrence and Dawand Jones in the first three rounds? 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

So this is where I always said Scott Turner succeeded. That guy could scheme open some receivers. Jay Gruden was great at it as well. They couldn't call a consistent game to save their lives so it killed off any of the success they were having but right now it seems the receivers are blanketed. Not always the case but the metrics seem to back that up as well. I wonder how much of Bienemy's offense relies on an explosive TE opening things up? And if that's the case why didn't we just pick Dalton Kincaid at 16? Seems like that was a lost opportunity. Like how much better would things be right now had they selected Kincaid, Torrence and Dawand Jones in the first three rounds? 

A good coach adjusts to his players.  Bieniemy is not short on talented skill players.  He shouldn't have a problem scheming open players with the talent we have.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, offbyone said:

A good coach adjusts to his players.  Bieniemy is not short on talented skill players.  He shouldn't have a problem scheming open players with the talent we have.  

I absolutely agree but you can't scheme to what you don't have. Cole Turner has been fun to watch but he's not exactly explosive and for whatever reason he falls down all the time. So if a main part of his offense is run through the TE wouldn't that cause issues for opening up the defense? 

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

I absolutely agree but you can't scheme to what you don't have. Cole Turner has been fun to watch but he's not exactly explosive and for whatever reason he falls down all the time. So if a main part of his offense is run through the TE wouldn't that cause issues for opening up the defense? 

6c9b7cef-5c89-47a4-97ea-0964e8ed7f79_tex 

9 hours ago, lavar703 said:

The same Dalton Kincaid who had 2 receptions for 3 yards vs the likes of Cody Barton & Jamin Davis.

We have Cole Turner, I don't know why we keep acting like we don't have anything at all at TE.

I don't know that Torrence makes a huge difference for us seeing that Cosmi is rated the #6 guard - I know by PFF - in the NFL, unless one of them would've been flipped to LG instead of Charles starting at LG.

I agree we should've taken Torence or Dawand Jones in R2 & 3 but I don't think Bieniemy has Jones starting over his guy and our big FA OL signing for Bieniemy, Andrew Wylie. Now, if we had drafted Jones, he should be starting but I doubt he would be.

Edited by turtle28

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

So are you saying that Eric Bieniemy hasn't figured out yet that we don't have a Travis Kelce?  If that is really the case then he is lost.  This offseason he should have realized really quick that he needs to scheme around Terry, Jahan and Curtis.  

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I agree we should've taken Torence of Dawand Jones in R2 & 3 but I don't think Bieniemy has Jones starting over his boy and our big FA OL signing for Bieniemy Wylie. Now, if we had him he should be starting but I doubt he would be.

Not based on his PFF score ;)

1 hour ago, MikeT14 said:

Not based on his PFF score ;)

I'm just saying that Bieniemy so far seems oblivious to the problems his guy is having at RT.

PFF has Wylie ranked 56th amongst OTs in the NFL. He's the 12th worst of OTs who've played snaps.

This narrative that he's graded out well doesn't hold up. He was awful vs Arizona & Buffalo. He was a bit better against Denver because of how much better the entire offense was in the 2nd half when out playcalling was more balanced.

Edited by turtle28

3 hours ago, lavar703 said:

I mean Cole had a 21-yard catch in the game. I would argue he & the RBs need to be targeted more instead of Sam waiting, waiting and waiting for a WR to get open 10-20 yards downfield. 🤷🏼‍♂️

The thing with Howell that was concerning last game was that he doesn't make talented throws but is that he was lacking football IQ in some crucial situations. The forced INT throw into the end zone. Going for a long third down early in the game when a small gain could have gotten us into field goal position. Taking some really bad sacks. He's a bit of a gunslinger which be polarizing for some of us fans I suppose. 

1 hour ago, taylor made said:

The thing with Howell that was concerning last game was that he doesn't make talented throws but is that he was lacking football IQ in some crucial situations. The forced INT throw into the end zone. Going for a long third down early in the game when a small gain could have gotten us into field goal position. Taking some really bad sacks. He's a bit of a gunslinger which be polarizing for some of us fans I suppose. 

I blame him for the interception at the goal line but it was interesting listening to Cooley talk about that situation. If you don't listen to Sheehan's podcast its a good one. He basically said the pass wasn't great but Samuel just stood there and waited instead of attacking the ball. I thought that was interesting. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, taylor made said:

We can't forget he's basically still a rookie and there will be rookie mistakes & he was hit on the pass/int on the endzone. Also, some people on the radio are arguing that Samuel should've done more to work back to that ball, same with Gibson on the int Hyde had.

Receivers have to help their young QB out by working back to the ball to at the least cause an incompletion instead of it being an int.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, turtle28 said:

We can't forget he's basically still a rookie and there will be rookie mistakes & he was hit on the pass/int on the endzone. Also, some people on the radio are arguing that Samuel should've done more to work back to that ball, same with Gibson on the int Hyde had.

Receivers have to help their young QB out by working back to the ball to at the least cause an incompletion instead of it being an int.

That sounds like a bunch of excuses and blaming it on others. A 4 INT game is Nathan Peterman territory. Sam played well the first two games so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and hope he rebounds the rest of the season.