The 2023-2024 Sam Howell thread

aceinthehouse

Don't get me wrong...

I absolutely hope Chase Young blows up the sack #'s, as well as the rest of DEFCON 4.

But I'm not certain what I think of him as a person/player with good character. (I've never met the guy)

Hopefully, the leadership of Sam Howell? Will get players to play hard for him.

I want this team to succeed.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, aceinthehouse said:

Don't get me wrong...

I absolutely hope Chase Young blows up the sack #'s, as well as the rest of DEFCON 4.

But I'm not certain what I think of him as a person/player with good character. (I've never met the guy)

Hopefully, the leadership of Sam Howell? Will get players to play hard for him.

I want this team to succeed.

My opinion is other than the summer of 2021 & the start of that season when Chase was just 22 years old he has been mature. Also, his enthusiasm & good attitude when he’s on the field & on the sidelines picks his team up & he’s a good leader in that way. He’s not a leader like Jon Allen, but Chase leads in a different way & gets his teammates excited when he’s out there.

I think Chase learned from him mistakes that summer/early in that season where he was immature & acted like he had already arrived.

The proof will be this year though. He’s already proven to me he’s matured this off-season. What Chase has to do now is show he’s back & improved on the field and play well this season. I’m hopeful it happens, we deserve it as fans, we’ve drafted enough top 10 busts since Desmond Howard & it’s time one of these guys hit and become a great player for us.

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, offbyone said:

How so?  My recollection is he didn't show up to voluntary activities.  

That’s voluntary & the team knew ahead of time that he was going to go back to Colorado to work with Von Miller & his trainers to rehab/focus on his knee.

There have been no issues with Chase at all. Really, off the field other than in 2021 him missing a few days of again VOLUNTARY OTA’s bc he was “Making my money baby,” was still VOLUNTARY work outs that he missed.

Getting on players for missing Voluntary work outs is petty. In the 2000s some of our best players missed them regularly or some of them like ST, Moss & CP amongst others. Should they be there? Yeah I think so to be with their teammates and build chemistry but they’re mandatory.

Where Chase messed up in 2021 was him joking with the media - and he was joking bc he’s that kind of guy - that he missed Voluntary OTAs bc he was “Making my money baby.”

If he hadn’t joked about that in 2021, I don’t even think there would have been or should have been much of an issue now bc again, OTA’s are VOLUNTARY WORKOUTS!

Other than that, what can you point to?

Really nothing off the field of him being immature. He seemed immature in 2021 on the field bc he seemed to have thought he had arrived after him playing well the 2nd half of his rookie season & didn’t do exactly what the coaches wanted him to do leading up to the 2021 season but, we also had a DL coach who ended up getting fired a year later & none of the players liked working with him, not even Jon Allen.

So, let’s just see where Chase is at come training camp & during the season, but it seems to me that even the little bit of immaturity he showed in 2021 wasn’t really even a huge deal, it all bogged down to him joking saying what he said at that the podium that got blown out of proportion like the DC media and this fanbase always does.

Edited by turtle28

4 hours ago, ripsean21 said:

I always listen to move the sticks podcast and DJ was talking about us and he was saying this team has a playoff roster and he likes Sam’s tape and he thinks we are the team nobody’s talking about that he sees as a playoff team

Yeah, I saw that too & a tweet about it. That’s awesome, I hope he’s right. If Chase & Sweat have years like they did in 2020 or better & Sam Howell plays like a middle of the road starter like one we’d rank in the mid to high teens as a starter, I really think we’ll push for a playoff spot this year.

If Sam plays like a back of the league starter it’s hard for me to imagine us challenging to be a playoff team.

7 hours ago, turtle28 said:

That’s voluntary & the team knew ahead of time that he was going to go back to Colorado to work with Von Miller & his trainers to rehab/focus on his knee.

There have been no issues with Chase at all. Really, off the field other than in 2021 him missing a few days of again VOLUNTARY OTA’s bc he was “Making my money baby,” was still VOLUNTARY work outs that he missed.

Getting on players for missing Voluntary work outs is petty. In the 2000s some of our best players missed them regularly or some of them like ST, Moss & CP amongst others. Should they be there? Yeah I think so to be with their teammates and build chemistry but they’re mandatory.

Where Chase messed up in 2021 was him joking with the media - and he was joking bc he’s that kind of guy - that he missed Voluntary OTAs bc he was “Making my money baby.”

If he hadn’t joked about that in 2021, I don’t even think there would have been or should have been much of an issue now bc again, OTA’s are VOLUNTARY WORKOUTS!

Other than that, what can you point to?

Really nothing off the field of him being immature. He seemed immature in 2021 on the field bc he seemed to have thought he had arrived after him playing well the 2nd half of his rookie season & didn’t do exactly what the coaches wanted him to do leading up to the 2021 season but, we also had a DL coach who ended up getting fired a year later & none of the players liked working with him, not even Jon Allen.

So, let’s just see where Chase is at come training camp & during the season, but it seems to me that even the little bit of immaturity he showed in 2021 wasn’t really even a huge deal, it all bogged down to him joking saying what he said at that the podium that got blown out of proportion like the DC media and this fanbase always does.

You said he showed you he had matured this offseason.  I was just trying to figure out how he showed you that?  From what I can see, he has done nothing different.  Showing up to voluntary workouts would have been something different.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, offbyone said:

You said he showed you he had matured this offseason.  I was just trying to figure out how he showed you that?  From what I can see, he has done nothing different.  Showing up to voluntary workouts would have been something different.

Rivera I believe said something about Chase maturing. 

Man it's whatever! You people who won't wait to see what Chase does this year to decide on how you feel about him & don't believe in Chase are just looking for a reason constantly to not believe he’ll be a good player for us & this is a ridiculous reason. 

Edited by turtle28

I think Howell just needs to be better than below average. If Howell plays most games like a top 20 QB we’ll win 9 games IMO, but I'm not sure that's enough to make the playoffs given the strength of our division.

I see our division playing out like this:

Phila: 12-5

Dal: 11-6

NYG: 10-7

Wash: 9-8

Rivera, Hurney, Mayhew & their staffs will be fired the Monday after the final game of the season. So, they'll be fired January 8th.

Edited by turtle28

• 4 weeks later...

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/marlon-humphrey-sam-howell-looks-really-comfortable-in-commanders-offense 

Quarterback Sam Howell has gotten plenty of positive reviews from his Commanders coaches and teammates, but Tuesday brought a chance for members of another team to share their thoughts on the second-year player.

“He looked really comfortable,” Humphrey said, via Ben Standig of TheAthletic.com. “He’s a second-year guy, but he looked comfortable back at quarterback.”

Commanders head coach Ron Rivera said Howell “made some really good decisions, good throws” during the practice session and the hope in Washington is that there will continue to be a steady diet of those things as Howell gains more experience as the leader of their offense.

• Like 1

On 7/12/2023 at 10:34 PM, turtle28 said:

My opinion is other than the summer of 2021 & the start of that season when Chase was just 22 years old he has been mature. Also, his enthusiasm & good attitude when he’s on the field & on the sidelines picks his team up & he’s a good leader in that way. He’s not a leader like Jon Allen, but Chase leads in a different way & gets his teammates excited when he’s out there.

I think Chase learned from him mistakes that summer/early in that season where he was immature & acted like he had already arrived.

The proof will be this year though. He’s already proven to me he’s matured this off-season. What Chase has to do now is show he’s back & improved on the field and play well this season. I’m hopeful it happens, we deserve it as fans, we’ve drafted enough top 10 busts since Desmond Howard & it’s time one of these guys hit and become a great player for us.

Yeah, I mean this is kinda where I am now on him. I sincerely hope he goes HAM through the regular season and just balls out. I don't want him to be another bust