The 2023-2024 Sam Howell thread

aceinthehouse

14 hours ago, ripsean21 said:

I am just excited to see what Sam can do!!! I’m happy he’s here and I hope he works his tail off and just plays his game and I hope this team can really highlight his strengths and game and I hope he can build something special with some pretty talented weapons. And if we can give him some time and his wheels if he can minimize the sacks and mistakes I really think he can open up a pretty exciting offense but it’s on this whole staff FO and roster to be assembled to put each player in a position to shine. A saftey blanket TE with Terry Jahan Curtis and these RB’s and a younger more athletic and tougher OL could really be a nasty if we are patient enough to grow the QB and system with each other

My guess is they don’t have anyone to sign off on them taking another big swing for a vet otherwise this wouldn’t be happening. There’s no way Rivera would do this going into a critical season with new ownership on the horizon unless he was told the checkbook is closed. Otherwise, he’d probably be sending our second round pick to Oakland 

Edited by lavar703

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

My guess is they don’t have anyone to sign off on them taking another big swing for a vet otherwise this wouldn’t be happening. There’s no way Rivera would do this going into a critical season with new ownership on the horizon unless he was told the checkbook is closed. Otherwise, he’d probably be sending our second round pick to Oakland 

Asking price is only a 3rd, so you are probably right. They will outsmart themselves and send a higher pick. 

I expect a veteran back-up to come here. Who knows maybe that's Heinicke, but a veteran QB is a must in the locker room. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Sam is in a spot where if he really is put in a system to allow his skillset shine he has every outlet as far as pass catchers and weapons out of the backfield to really groom into a really good player at this level. If they can just upgrade the OL and stop being so reluctant to play mid and late round players early over vets they have had loyalty too then we can shine. McCain blocked Forrest. Norwell blocked Paul. Like they are so hell bent on starting young players on the bench but you drafted these players stop redshirting them. I’m not including Sam because you weren’t starting him early outside of him just completely outplaying Wentz and Taylor by miles in TC last year. But they almost **** the bed at the end of the year and in true Taylor fashion he saved Ron again by telling him to play the rook. Ron should be begging Taylor to come back because Taylor is really the only thing that’s saved Ron time and time again

It may have been a meaningless statement, but I wonder if it was such a good move when I see the hoopla and expectations that has resulted from declaring Howell qb1.  Ironically, Rivera didn't even want to play him in that last game, now Rivera is calling him qb1?  It is a bit flippant because if Rivera really had this much confidence in him before that last game, it shouldn't have even been a question as to whether to play him. 

Howell has shown he can compete, but he has earned and is owed nothing.  I hope he is given the chance to compete, but I also hope if a qb high on our board falls to us in the draft, that we pick him.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, offbyone said:

It may have been a meaningless statement, but I wonder if it was such a good move when I see the hoopla and expectations that has resulted from declaring Howell qb1.  Ironically, Rivera didn't even want to play him in that last game, now Rivera is calling him qb1?  It is a bit flippant because if Rivera really had this much confidence in him before that last game, it shouldn't have even been a question as to whether to play him. 

Howell has shown he can compete, but he has earned and is owed nothing.  I hope he is given the chance to compete, but I also hope if a qb high on our board falls to us in the draft, that we pick him.

Outside of Stroud and Young, I don’t see another QB in this draft I’d put ahead of Sam. Levis and Richardson are not good. I honestly have no clue what people are even watching to have them as first round prospects? Maybe pick Hooker but he’s not a better prospect than Sam either and he’s two years older. I’d just roll with Howell and Heinicke and if we suck you have Williams and Maye in the next draft. 

2 hours ago, lavar703 said:

Outside of Stroud and Young, I don’t see another QB in this draft I’d put ahead of Sam. Levis and Richardson are not good. I honestly have no clue what people are even watching to have them as first round prospects? Maybe pick Hooker but he’s not a better prospect than Sam either and he’s two years older. I’d just roll with Howell and Heinicke and if we suck you have Williams and Maye in the next draft. 

I'm fine with that and agree with your analysis, I just don't know why he is declaring him anything at this point.  Who knows what qb will be available to us?  

24 minutes ago, taylor made said:

Sorry, the Sam Howell hype is too much. It was one game. Back to reality I fear. 

It's why you sign a vet, with similar traits as Howell. More proven player...

Build the Offense around Howell & his skill sets.

Get him an O-line.

So if Howell gets hurt, or sucks?

Your backup comes in & you can still run the Offense without changing everything.

I would look for a vet like Mariota, or similar.

Then draft a player on day 2/3, with those same attributes.