The 2023-2024 Sam Howell thread

aceinthehouse

51 minutes ago, taylor made said:

This guy is seriously Jekyll vs. Hyde but he's simply not getting the ball to our WRs. Let him play out the season but we might not win another game and I think you have to draft a QB with one our top 3 picks at this point. We should have a top 5 pick when its all said and done, our schedule gets hard coming up.

I think he's had only about 3 bad games (or what I can call bad) this season. I'm okay with rolling with him and grabbing a Day 3 QB (or Day 2 if one falls) to back him up next year, though.

We HAVE to go OL. Doesn't matter who is under center if the OL isn't going to block a fart.

• Like 2

Sam is showing he's backup material and I think that is fine. The offense scored zero points tonight in the second half. The worst thing this team can do is pencil him in as the future starter because he has thrown for a lot of yards. It's not like they are effective yards. He has issues with the deep ball. A better ball to Terry tonight could have hit him in stride for a TD. On the pick-6, his ball lacked zip. Let him play out the season but I think 4-8 and soon to be 4-9 speaks for itself. 

1 hour ago, taylor made said:

Sam is showing he's backup material and I think that is fine. The offense scored zero points tonight in the second half. The worst thing this team can do is pencil him in as the future starter because he has thrown for a lot of yards. It's not like they are effective yards. He has issues with the deep ball. A better ball to Terry tonight could have hit him in stride for a TD. On the pick-6, his ball lacked zip. Let him play out the season but I think 4-8 and soon to be 4-9 speaks for itself. 

Yep, Sam is definitely responsible for a historically bad defense allowing over 30+ points per game. Can't believe that he isn't stopping the opposing teams from scoring, sacking the opposing teams QB, while he blocks for himself and throws TD passes to himself. Maybe if we just promoted Howell to OC he could do that too since he is going to be taking on double duty already.

/rant

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

Yep, Sam is definitely responsible for a historically bad defense allowing over 30+ points per game. Can't believe that he isn't stopping the opposing teams from scoring, sacking the opposing teams QB, while he blocks for himself and throws TD passes to himself. Maybe if we just promoted Howell to OC he could do that too since he is going to be taking on double duty already.

/rant

I understand all that but you can still evaluate the QB position at the same time. The excuses this guy is getting are pretty stale. Was he good today?

15 minutes ago, taylor made said:

I understand all that but you can still evaluate the QB position at the same time. The excuses this guy is getting are pretty stale. Was he good today?

I am not sure, I admittedly didn't even watch the game today since I can't stand watching this team come out unprepared every week and getting outclassed by other bad coaches. Sam Howell being on the roster doesn't exclude us from looking to upgrade the position. I just think our offensive line is a big problem and if he had the Cowboys, Eagles or Lions, his production would be way up and his turnovers would be way down. I think the majority of our first 5 picks should focus on upgrading the offensive line. If a top QB falls to us (or if we end up in the position to draft them), you have to consider it.

• Like 1

If we’ve decided Howell is a backup after 13 starts running one of the dumbest offense I’ve personally ever witnessed behind one of the worst OL in football while still having some success then I have really no clue what we’re doing here? You can say these are excuses and that’s fine but that ball hit Terry in the hands and it was dropped because Gilmore had ahold of his other arm. Blaming Howell for that deep ball not being caught is just absurd. 

I guess if you have a shot at Williams or Maye, go for it. I certainly don’t agree with trading up and I think you’re going to see a lot of these same growing pains with either of those guys. This offense is stupid. You’re asking an inexperienced QB to throw the ball 50 times a game whilst no support from a run game and having a lackluster 32-year old TE who can’t cut anymore and falls down after 5 yards of running. If you want to see just how stupid of a position we’re putting Howell in go back to every short yardage situation last night. Nobody else is running back to back one yard to go plays out of shotgun and we do this consistently. Howell is not in a situation conducive to proper development. 

So yes, we can pretend he should be doing more than he is if it makes the people that want to draft a QB feel better but until we get a better coach in here with a line that somewhat resembles NFL talent I just don’t see how you can call him “back up material” with the way he’s producing with the mess of a hand he’s been dealt? We have 4 OL starting right now that were 7th round picks or undrafted. That is just stupid. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, taylor made said:

Has nothing to due with yards for me.  But it is hard to judge while running for his life behind an absurdly bad offensive line, with a bad scheme and play caller.  I like the grit and toughness, and when he’s got a relatively clean pocket, it’s a good deep ball.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Has nothing to due with yards for me.  But it is hard to judge while running for his life behind an absurdly bad offensive line, with a bad scheme and play caller.  I like the grit and toughness, and when he’s got a relatively clean pocket, it’s a good deep ball.  

I agree.  Super hard to judge.  He has the grit.  He has the arm.  At the same time he obviously can't lift the team above the problems. 

If we keep losing, picking a qb is going to be hard to resist for new staff.  You certainly can't ask them to bet on a qb because the oline and playcalling made it hard to judge, especially if we have a top 7 pick.  Sure we will be out of top 2, but we will have access to everyone after that.  If sam wants to remain starting qb, he has to figure out how to win to push us out of the top 10.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, taylor made said:

He's a rookie, we have no run game & we can't protect Howell bc our OL is the worst in the NFL.

Dak has all kinds of time but Sam has none.

Our D is I think the 32nd in the NFL.

I am in no way saying Sam is the answer, but I think he's shown enough as a rookie QB that he can be a starter in the league.

Everyone hears you that he hasn't had good games the last few games but a few games ago even you - Sam’s harshest critic - was starting to say that maybe Sam could be a starter.

When I see you post negatively about Sam all I think about is that you're forgetting how bad the OL is & bc of that we can't protect him or run the ball to take pressure off of Howell. Defenses can tee off on Howell bc they know we won't run the ball often and our OL sucks plus, Sam is a rookie in terms of playing time in his 3rd offense in 3 years.

When I see you post about Howell I think you ignore all of those facts and only focus on Howell not overcoming the poor OL, no run game & bad D to win games which is not a fair evaluation of a rookie QB.

1 hour ago, naptownskinsfan said:

giphy.gif?cid=2154d3d75acwh9ly2ccrl4bqam