Week 6 MNF: Broncos @ Chargers

BroncoSojia

Week 6 MNF: Broncos @ Chargers  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Will you watch?

• Yes
    • No
    • The Broncos are on primetime again?!?!
    • Fire Staley and/or Hackett

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/18/2022 at 12:20 AM

3 minutes ago, Xenos said:

Kelly got injured early on, that’s why Michel was the main backup in the game.

I think Lombardi gets too much grief for games like this one. There were deep shots called, but Herbert ended up taking the check downs and passes that were short of the sticks instead. It’s probably due to the OL issues with Linsley out and Pipkins still trying to play with an MCL sprain. Those two OL injuries also affected our rushing attack which in term affects any vertical shots down field. We also don’t have a speedy receiver that can easily separate ans hit the home run on the team currently.

If it was just these games ok.  OL issues I get it.  And yes Herbert wasn’t his usual self.    But the season and last years data says it’s his lean.   That’s the issue.   

LAC would be well served to get a burner Day 2 next year though.  But Lombardi has to adjust too. 

4 hours ago, ET80 said:

Is it bad to say Justin Herbert might be overrated? He’s a plenty good QB, but he has a lot to prove before I consider him a top 5 QB. Heck, he might be on the outside of 10 if I sat down and really thought about it (11/12ish).

I think it’s the combination of the injury and the OL protection more than anything else. Maybe Lombardi as well, though I’m not as down on our OC as much as others are.

Edit: forgot to give credit to Denver’s top 5 defense.

Edited by Xenos
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, ET80 said:

Is it bad to say Justin Herbert might be overrated? He’s a plenty good QB, but he has a lot to prove before I consider him a top 5 QB. Heck, he might be on the outside of 10 if I sat down and really thought about it (11/12ish).

Top 1/3 of the league is too high for a guy that has never won a playoff game. I believe he has all the potential in the world but also he could flame out like Cutler. 

30 minutes ago, Leoric said:

Top 1/3 of the league is too high for a guy that has never won a playoff game. I believe he has all the potential in the world but also he could flame out like Cutler. 

Don’t compare him to Cutler. He hasn’t been a douchebag yet.

11 hours ago, Leoric said:

I doubt he ever will be. He is just too much of a nice guy. 

On a somewhat sidenote, Corey Linsley is literally the second most important offensive player after Herbert.

https://theathletic.com/3707470/2022/10/18/chargers-broncos-justin-herbert-2/

3. The passing offense splits with Linsley on the field and off the field are pretty jarring through six games. Herbert ranks 12th in expected points added per dropback on the year, according to TruMedia. With Linsley on the field, Herbert is averaging 0.29 EPA per dropback, which would be tied with Patrick Mahomes for the second-best average among qualified quarterbacks. With Linsley off the field, Herbert is averaging minus-0.15 EPA per dropback, which would rank 31st among qualified QBs, behind Joe Flacco and Carson Wentz. All three of Herbert’s interceptions this season have come without Linsley on the field. Herbert did not throw a touchdown pass despite 57 attempts Monday night.

On 10/17/2022 at 9:01 PM, Jakuvious said:

The Chargers are like this though. I've been saying it since late last year, that when you watch the Chargers on offense, it never feels bad. It seems like they're doing just fine. Then you look at the scoreboard and it's like wait, how few points do they have?

Like, Wilson was sacked 4 times, barely completed over 50% of his passes. Herbert was only sacked twice, and was at about 65% completion. The latter feels less incompetent. It feels like a lot of straight up failed plays for the former. Until you realize 13 completions were to RBs and Herbert went for 4.2 yards per attempt. Pass attempt, to be clear. LAC's offensive struggles are just more subtle.

I'm not sure I agree with this. Offense certainly feels bad at times this year. They've been pretty reliable to just disappear for large stretches of game.

On the brighter side - we actually won a game because of Special Teams and somehow have a 4-2 record.

Edited by Bolts223

On 10/18/2022 at 9:43 AM, ET80 said:

Is this trolling? He is top 3. Dont let 1 game fool you. He was top 4 in every metric prior to Monday.

Outside the top 5 is crazy. Outside top 10 is trolling.