EDGE Talk

MOSteelers56

4 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

True, but with how bad Levis played at the end of the season no way he goes top 4.  Why would Houston trade up though when they could sit and wait for Stroud or Young?  Indy maybe would trade up but with their luck with QBs I would be surprised.

To me Carolina, Washington or the Jets are more likely to trade up because they would have no chance at those guys otherwise.  Carr is also being shopped around so he could easily go to one of those teams potentially also.  But sure ideally they trade out and still get Anderson or Carter.  

The four months before the draft is a weird time. Players move for arbitrary reasons. Combine and a good pro day could do wonders for levis who already has a great arm. 

Houston would trade up if they love one prospect over the other. They aren’t competing with us or themselves to get him, they’re boxing out another team for getting our spot to get the player. Same thing Chicago did in 2017 with SF to get Trubisky. Imo the only reason Young isn’t far and away the #1 qb is his abysmal size. The colts have already been vocal about being willing to move mountains to move up to get what they want. 

I ultimately would be totally fine with drafting around 15. Idk if it’s because I’ve had more time to scout than usual or if this year has more back end first round talent but there are plenty of later edges and other positions I’d be comfortable with later 

11 hours ago, Ozzy said:

True, but with how bad Levis played at the end of the season no way he goes top 4.  Why would Houston trade up though when they could sit and wait for Stroud or Young?  Indy maybe would trade up but with their luck with QBs I would be surprised.

To me Carolina, Washington or the Jets are more likely to trade up because they would have no chance at those guys otherwise.  Carr is also being shopped around so he could easily go to one of those teams potentially also.  But sure ideally they trade out and still get Anderson or Carter.  

I was thinking about this the other day, actually...

IMO, the Bears have an opportunity to play teams off each other for that #1 pick.  This isn't like having 2 similar QB prospects at the top; there's a chance these QB-needy teams, like the Texans, Colts, Panthers, and Commanders will like one or the other QB, but not both, and I agree that Levis is at least a 1/2-tier below Stroud or Young. I could see the Commanders being happy to have a chance to take Levis, but the other 3?  Vying for 2 QBs? The Bears can take a 'below-value' trade for the #1, and still have a chance to get a trade for the #2 or #3...

Let's say in that final week, the Bears are talking to Carolina or Indy, about trading down, and the Texans have their heart set on Young.  They could get the #2 and #12 from the Texans, or heck, the #2 and #34 (It would be like they never traded their 2nd Rd pick), and they'd still get the their top prospect at #2. Then, trade with Indy for their #4, #36, and a future pick or two, just to be sure that the Cards don't deal with the Panthers...or they trade with Carolina, who wants to get a head of Indy, for the remaining QB, and get their #9, #40, and a few other future picks.

But what if nobody 'bites'...well, then the Bears take the Top QB, and then see how badly one of those 3 teams want Young, or Stroud...or Fields maybe...I think the Bears GM is already setting the stage, and wisely I might add...to me, the Bears may have the best chance to turn the #1 Overall pick into a ton of picks, which, let's be honest, they need to build around which ever QB they end up with, with players like Bijan, and/or pick your favorite WR, and still end up with a top flight Defensive player, to boot, because they could conceivably end up with the #4, #12 and/or #34, and #36, and maybe an extra 3rd, plus a future 1st Rd, or 2nd Rd, which they could use to trade back up this year, since it's a deep draft...

I just think the Bears have a great chance to walk away with the motherlode, if they play their cards right, or am I just way off-base with how the Bears could play this?  I really think these teams like Young or Stroud, rather than Young and Stroud, becuase if the Bears take 'lesser' value, according to the chart, they'll be able to trade much easier. 

However, if they get greedy, they might not get anything, other than their #1 rated, non-QB player, at #1 overall, and paying for that player at the #1 overall slot-money, and not another pick until the 3rd...if I'm the Bear's GM, I'm either trading that pick for a bunch of 1st/2nd Rd picks, plus futures, or I'm trading either Young/Stroud, or trading Fields, for those picks, but no way am I picking #1 overall for a non-QB, and no pick until the 3rd Rd...

Edited by Ward4HOF
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, Ozzy said:

I would agree on any objective basis, but the NFL is notorious for bad copycatting, and a GM might very well do that.  It'd be shocking, yes, and he'd be arguably the least accomplished top 10 QB in draft history, but I wouldn't completely write it off.

4 hours ago, nicfre2011 said:

On 12/22/2022 at 1:47 AM, jrry32 said:

I started evaluating some of the Late Day 1/Day 2 guys. Here are my preliminary thoughts:

1. Nolan Smith EDGE Georgia - Very intriguing. Gives tons of effort, disciplined against the run, outstanding athlete with legit cover skills, has some pop in his hands, plays bigger and stronger than you expect against the run, and when Georgia turns him loose, he flashes some bend and cornering. Doesn't have a ton of true pass rush snaps, as UGA asked him to play a more calculated and disciplined role, so pass rush is a bit of a projection. But he has the tools. Wish he was a little bigger, as I have some concerns about how he'll fare as a true EDGE against OTs who can engulf him with size and power. Could be a stellar OLB in a system that wants a hybrid player (rusher and off-the-ball backer). Has huge amount of upside as an EDGE too. I'm struggling to come up with a comparison. Maybe Julian Peterson or Jamie Collins (when he was motivated and playing well).

2. B.J. Ojulari EDGE LSU - He's better than Azeez was as a prospect imo. I understand why he's being talked about as a second rounder, but I think he's going to vastly outplayed his draft spot if he lands there. He's explosive off the LOS, he's twitchy, he's very bendy and consistently is able to play under blocks, and he gives relentless effort. Yes, he's a finesse guy who hasn't shown any sort of consistent power game. Yes, he's not going to be a plus run defender. But he has an outstanding motor and plays hard on run downs, so he's not a guy who will kill you there either. (Although, teams can use his aggressiveness against him.) At the end of the day, this is a passing league, and he's a dude who can give you double digit sacks. And he's not a one-trick pony as a pass rusher. He's finesse, but he's savvy, utilizes a lot of different moves and techniques, and has the twitch and quickness to win inside if OTs try to cheat outside. He reminds me of post-breakout Shaq Barrett.

3. Felix Anudike-Uzomah EDGE Kansas State - He's still figuring things out, but he has the tools to be an impact guy. Explosive off the snap with a legit power game. Has enough bend to corner and flatten. Uses his hands well, even if he doesn't have a diverse set of pass rush moves or a developed pass rush plan at this point in time. Gives great effort. He defends the run relatively well. He's a strong dude who can hold his ground and set the edge. Could get better at identifying where the ball is going and figuring out how to defeat the blocking scheme, but again, the tools are there to be a quality run defender. If he develops, he's a good to very good player in both run defense and pass rushing. Brian Orakpo is the guy who came to mind for me if Felix develops well.

4. Derick Hall EDGE Auburn - Great movement skills and very difficult to move in the running game, but I felt his pass rush was too reliant on effort and power. Face up pass rusher who didn't corner or bend well imo. I feel like he's a lesser version of Jermaine Johnson from last year. Physical, strong dude who can run. He'll defend the run for you. He'll get pressure on the QB through effort, power, and relentlessness, but I'm not sure what the pass rush upside is. Might be more of a glue guy than a difference maker. 

5. Zach Harrison EDGE Ohio State - Didn't blow me away. You can see the tools. He's fast and explosive in a straight line. He's a strong dude. But he didn't seem very natural. I didn't feel he made the same impact as the other guys I watched. I can understand why a team will take a shot on him, but he wasn't my cup of tea.

6. Isaiah McGuire EDGE Missouri - Powerful and physical guy with hands that shock the OL and more cornering ability than you expect, but he's not overly explosive or fast. I felt like his effort came and went too. When he was engaged, he was capable of bullying the guy across from him. But the motor seemed to run hot and cold. Seemed like a better fit as a 4-3 DL.

Next on the list:

1. Jared Verse EDGE FSU

2. Byron Young EDGE Tennessee

3. Mike Morris EDGE Michigan

4. Isaiah Foskey EDGE Notre Dame

5. Will McDonald EDGE Iowa State

6. Laiatu Latu EDGE UCLA

On 1/5/2023 at 11:08 AM, MOSteelers56 said:

Van Ness reminds me of the EDGE version of George Kittle. Big, athletic, and super underutilized at Iowa. He's got a really good chance of being a way better NFL player than he was in college. 

I saw him ranked pretty low a couple of weeks ago and now he's getting 1st/2nd round love.

15 minutes ago, goldfishwars said:

Powerful edge setter, nearly always late off the snap. There are plenty of edge players in this class who get blown off the ball, but he isn’t one of them.

Interesting. Do you think he'd be able to slide inside on passing downs?

On 1/16/2023 at 6:59 PM, Ozzy said:

I could see Indy trading up if they fall in love with Stroud or Young. If they sit at #4 they run the risk of another team moving up to 3 and taking their guy.

3 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Interesting. Do you think he'd be able to slide inside on passing downs?

Yeah, he doesn't threaten the edge with speed as a rusher. His closest comp would be a Marcus Davenport/Preston Smith type - someone who wins with length and power. I think you draft him to be an edge setter foremost. 

1 minute ago, goldfishwars said:

Yeah, he doesn't threaten the edge with speed as a rusher. His closest comp would be a Marcus Davenport/Preston Smith type - someone who wins with length and power. I think you draft him to be an edge setter foremost. 

Nice, I need to watch more of him but as of now he's who I want the Raiders to take at #7. 

20 minutes ago, goldfishwars said:

Some will see him that way, I guess it depends on what you want your edge guys to do.  His freakish power and strength is his outstanding trait - no idea what he tests like as an athlete.

For the Steelers, they get DEs like that ( read Cam Hetward) and play them as DTs or 5 techs so I will have to look at him in that Cam Heyward role.