EDGE Talk

MOSteelers56

On 10/17/2022 at 11:07 AM, MOSteelers56 said:

I don't want to say this is the "Official EDGE Thread," but I thought it would be interesting to have some position specific discussion with the prospects. So it seems like Anderson is the top of the class in terms of EDGE as we speak. He's built more like a stand up guy as his weight is below 250. How secure is his top spot?

Very secure. He's a beast and on top of that, the rest of the class is meh.

Who is coming for it?

I mean, maybe BJ Ojulari or Myles Murphy. However, they're going to fall way short.

How many EDGE guys go in the top 10? Is it a deep class, top heavy, or a little of both?

1. I don't think anyone else goes top 10. I think the value will be late 1st-mid 2nd round.

34 minutes ago, BetterCallSaul said:

mmmm Jermaine Johnson was fantastic. Verse is a better athlete on tape, but I don't know how his tape could be better than Jermaine's. That dude was elite in every game he played in for FSU.

JJ is a high motor guy with decent physical tools and good skills. A lot of his sacks were long developing coverage sacks.

Verse is an absolute physical terror. A poor man’s Will Anderson. And maybe not that much poorer.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Tetsujin said:

JJ is a high motor guy with decent physical tools and good skills. A lot of his sacks were long developing coverage sacks.

Verse is an absolute physical terror. A poor man’s Will Anderson. And maybe not that much poorer.

The thing Verse has going for him is he is a RS SOPH, could declare this year and possibly be a 1st round pick or early 2nd rounder, so yes he has upside and great athletic potential.

However Verse has not looked as dominating as he did against LSU with a true freshman OT starting.  Verse has been good but not nearly as impactful as that game so he still has work to do especially when teams start game planning for him.  Ask Will Anderson Jr about that one, offense can basically take him literally out of the game just based on play calling.  Verse is very talented no question but I would agree with the previous statement that Jermaine Johnson flat out dominated multiple games last year, then again he was a finish product and Verse is not yet but Johnson was amazing in more than one game, Verse has just been great in really one game so far this year.

Want to talk physically elite young edge players, Gabe Jacas is where it is at, true freshman on Illinois and that dude could be amazing with two and a half more years of development left.  Former state champion wrestler in the state of Florida, was only a 3 star recruit but dude looks like Adonis out there and has been great so far this season.

7 hours ago, BetterCallSaul said:

Very secure. He's a beast and on top of that, the rest of the class is meh.

I mean, maybe BJ Ojulari or Myles Murphy. However, they're going to fall way short.

1. I don't think anyone else goes top 10. I think the value will be late 1st-mid 2nd round.

i can see 2 going top 10 cuz Pass rush is always in demand  and id say it would likely be Anderson and Murphy.  the real dark horse in the race is gonna be Andre Carter cuz the Military thing(which should be cleared up by the combine if they let him play right away or not.)

On 10/20/2022 at 8:58 PM, LinderFournette said:

i can see 2 going top 10 cuz Pass rush is always in demand  and id say it would likely be Anderson and Murphy.  the real dark horse in the race is gonna be Andre Carter cuz the Military thing(which should be cleared up by the combine if they let him play right away or not.)

I thought they made some law where any player in the military academies could go play in the NFL right away and their duty was delayed till later?  Sure kind of seemed like a joke when it was made a year or two ago but with Carter he could be the first drafted player from Army since 2008 and that was a 7th rounder and could be the first 1st round pick from Army since 1947!

I agree Myles Murphy is coming on strong, BJ Ojulari is a stud edge rusher and Jared Verse is coming on strong and so is Garrett Nelson.  But Andre Carter athletically and potential wise is better than all of those guys, not as productive this year but the few times I watched him he really go into the backfield but all the teams focus completely on him every play.  YaYa Diaby is kind of a sleeper and Derick Hall is very skilled on the edge also as well as Richard Jibunor who has tons of potential.

Finally got to watch Myles Murphy against Syracuse.  Didn't do much on the stat sheet, but IMO he looks good.  Not a ton of playing time, but he was in the backfield often, beat his guy often, and I guess it's hard to do a lot statistically with that much of a rotation on the DL.

He's not Will Anderson, but he's good.  Classic 4-3 DE type.

Guess I got to watch the Army guy everyone is talking about.

On 10/23/2022 at 6:15 PM, m haynes said:

Yup  Looks to be a Richard Seymour type. Really like the player.

Bresee could be a decent 3/4 DE but I seriously doubt he is as great as Richard Seymour a Hall of Fame player.  Seymour was dominating on Georgia, was better than Stroud and Stroud was awesome as well.  Not sure Bresee has been that dominating especially at the college level with all the injuries he has had recently.  Not nearly as strong at the point of attack as Seymour either, Seymour could really hold his own and move dudes around with ease.  There is a reason he was the 6th pick overall.  

All these guys could be a 3/4 DE if asked to be, even Ika and Mazi Smith with how athletic both are, Stills would be very hard to handle as a 3/4 DE and is a great pass rusher, TJ Franklin has tons of upside as well.

Jalen Carter Georgia JR
Bryan Bresee Clemson JR
Siaki Ika Baylor RS JR
Mazi Smith Michigan
Calijah Kancey Pitt RS JR
Gervon Dexter Florida JR
Keeanu Benton Wisconsin
Brandon Dorlus Oregon RS JR
Dante Stills West Virginia RS
Jalen Redmond Oklahoma RS JR
Jaxon Player Baylor
Trajan Jeffcoat Missouri
TJ Franklin Baylor
Jayson Ademiola Notre Dame RS

11 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Bresee could be a decent 3/4 DE but I seriously doubt he is as great as Richard Seymour a Hall of Fame player.  Seymour was dominating on Georgia, was better than Stroud and Stroud was awesome as well.  Not sure Bresee has been that dominating especially at the college level with all the injuries he has had recently.  Not nearly as strong at the point of attack as Seymour either, Seymour could really hold his own and move dudes around with ease.  There is a reason he was the 6th pick overall.  

All these guys could be a 3/4 DE if asked to be, even Ika and Mazi Smith with how athletic both are, Stills would be very hard to handle as a 3/4 DE and is a great pass rusher, TJ Franklin has tons of upside as well.

Jalen Carter Georgia JR
Bryan Bresee Clemson JR
Siaki Ika Baylor RS JR
Mazi Smith Michigan
Calijah Kancey Pitt RS JR
Gervon Dexter Florida JR
Keeanu Benton Wisconsin
Brandon Dorlus Oregon RS JR
Dante Stills West Virginia RS
Jalen Redmond Oklahoma RS JR
Jaxon Player Baylor
Trajan Jeffcoat Missouri
TJ Franklin Baylor
Jayson Ademiola Notre Dame RS

Thanks for the prospect info. I will look them up. Its still early haven't looked to deep into the draft.  

Also I wanted to make sure I said "type"  becasue  I don't see him at Seymour's level.

Pats fan----  it might be a waste of time looking at these players which is a major (front 7) need.  BB most likely will take some community college guard!!!!!!!!😁

Edited by m haynes

19 minutes ago, m haynes said:

Thanks for the prospect info. I will look them up. Its still early haven't looked to deep into the draft.  

Also I wanted to make sure I said "type"  becasue  I don't see him at Seymour's level.

Pats fan----  it might be a waste of time looking at these players which is a major (front 7) need.  BB most likely will take some community college guard!!!!!!!!😁

Yeah I would say that front DL could be the biggest need, that or CB possibly and could always go WR but doubt they pick on 1st round.  Curious if they take Ika or Mazi Smith the two best NT types arguably or go with an edge guy like Myles Murphy or wait and get someone like Dexter or Benton later on.  Right now I actually have them getting Jahmyr Gibbs mid to late 1st round but that could change.  I think he would be a great addition to that run game and provide much needed versatility like James White used to, sure maybe Pierre Strong can be that guy but Gibbs is way better.