EDGE Talk

MOSteelers56

On 2/10/2023 at 12:42 PM, HoboRocket said:

Honestly, I'd prefer the Cardinals to pass on edge rusher the first 4 rounds. We drafted two guys last year who both looked like future starters, playing way more effectively than the bums ahead of them. If we waste a high pick on a 7-sack edge when we already potentially have better, meanwhile we have 9 FA OL and no NFL Starters at CB...

lol, if Will Anderson is on the board, you don’t pass on him because you might have good complimentary players.

basically, you don’t pass on Aaron Donald just because you already have Michael Brockers & Kendall Langford.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ClutchDJ said:

lol, if Will Anderson is on the board, you don’t pass on him because you might have good complimentary players.

basically, you don’t pass on Aaron Donald just because you already have Michael Brockers & Kendall Langford.

Totally agreed, that Rams team also had Robert Quinn, Chris Long and William Hayes!

Chicago should pick Will Anderson Jr unless they get a crazy offer and someone trades up, not sure that happens though unless one really likes Bryce Young or Jalen Carter.  

11 hours ago, ClutchDJ said:

The vibe that I was getting was that Anderson was more Derek Barnett than Nick Bosa.

41 minutes ago, BetterCallSaul said:

Barnett? Not at all. Anderson is a significantly better athlete and player overall. 

Agreed, I would say Will Anderson Jr is a rich man's Brian Burns and Burns has turned into a great pro and Anderson is a better prospect with a higher motor than Burns was.  Both are some what thin in college, Burns was what 220 at times at Florida State early on.  

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Agreed, I would say Will Anderson Jr is a rich man's Brian Burns and Burns has turned into a great pro and Anderson is a better prospect with a higher motor than Burns was.  Both are some what thin in college, Burns was what 220 at times at Florida State early on.  

Love that comp. Burns can bend the corner very well, but like Anderson, would rather convert his speed to power for pass rush. Anderson seems to have a more powerful punch and shed, but they’re both animals.

On 2/11/2023 at 8:57 PM, Ozzy said:

Salute Oz.

Burns was a fast, lean, run the arc for days, type. Kind of like Robert Quinn or Anthony Barr. 

Idk Anderson plays like that at all. He is more that Bosa type that's going to win with violent hands and closing burst. I don't think he'll be as good as Bosa but I do think that's his game.

6 hours ago, BrownLeader said:

Salute Oz.

Burns was a fast, lean, run the arc for days, type. Kind of like Robert Quinn or Anthony Barr. 

Idk Anderson plays like that at all. He is more that Bosa type that's going to win with violent hands and closing burst. I don't think he'll be as good as Bosa but I do think that's his game.

Who Nick or Joey.  Nick has great pass rush moves and can really bend his body and gain leverage, not sure Will does that at all he cannot get low like Nick and honestly his pass rush moves are kind of limited and needs to improve on using his hands and getting off blocks.

Joey, he is much larger, thicker and uses his large hands very well and holds his own, can get a push, Will is far more thin than that and again needs to improve using his hands and anchoring.

Will is strong but the dude is what 235 and thin in the legs, that is why he is like Brian Burns who was super thin in college but did gain some bulk in the NFL and I assume Anderson will do that as well.  Has a chance to be better in the league than in college but needs to be able to not get so locked up and get off guys if he does not beat them with speed right off the bat.

Good pass rushers can be schemed out like last night with the Eagles, one of the best regular season sack teams in history did not have a sack last night because of the play calling, totally took them out of the game and Will had that happen a lot this past year for Bama.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

Who Nick or Joey.  Nick has great pass rush moves and can really bend his body and gain leverage, not sure Will does that at all he cannot get low like Nick and honestly his pass rush moves are kind of limited and needs to improve on using his hands and getting off blocks.

Joey, he is much larger, thicker and uses his large hands very well and holds his own, can get a push, Will is far more thin than that and again needs to improve using his hands and anchoring.

Will is strong but the dude is what 235 and thin in the legs, that is why he is like Brian Burns who was super thin in college but did gain some bulk in the NFL and I assume Anderson will do that as well.  Has a chance to be better in the league than in college but needs to be able to not get so locked up and get off guys if he does not beat them with speed right off the bat.

Good pass rushers can be schemed out like last night with the Eagles, one of the best regular season sack teams in history did not have a sack last night because of the play calling, totally took them out of the game and Will had that happen a lot this past year for Bama.

Referring to Nick. 

I'd forgot Burns was kind of tight for his body type. I can see that comp although I think Burns is faster. And Anderson is probably stronger.  

• 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I can't really find this anywhere but where did Nolan Smith play last year? I was under the assumption he was playing an off-ball LB spot his senior year before his injury. But then I read that he's never played anything but EDGE rusher in his career. Can anyone clear this up?

He was a edge for Georgia before he got hurt.  Sure in some blitz situations they move their linebackers around to confuse the OL but Nolan Smith was an edge guy for Georgia his entire career.  Not sure Nolan Smith could be a ILB but apparently the dude is really smart so who knows, was more of a bendy edge guy for Georgia but clearly they did not have him because of injuries on and off, this was supposed to be his big breakout year and clearly was not with the injuries.  

The ILBs last year were Dumas-Johnson and Mondon then the year before that the ILBs were Quay Walker and Dean.  

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I can't really find this anywhere but where did Nolan Smith play last year? I was under the assumption he was playing an off-ball LB spot his senior year before his injury. But then I read that he's never played anything but EDGE rusher in his career. Can anyone clear this up?

He’s been an edge rusher, but moves well in space and is supposed to be a top tier athlete. Playing off-ball would be a transition to a new position.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, goldfishwars said:

He’s been an edge rusher, but moves well in space and is supposed to be a top tier athlete. Playing off-ball would be a transition to a new position.

Yeah no. He’s so good on the edge, especially as an edge setter. I wouldn’t want to move him—I don’t think he needs to move.

Surprised we don’t hear more Ojulari buzz. That dude is a freaking monster as a pass rusher. Elite grade as a rusher, but unjustifiably bad against the run. That said, in a passing league, this dude could be Dwight Freeney. 

32 minutes ago, BetterCallSaul said:

Yeah no. He’s so good on the edge, especially as an edge setter. I wouldn’t want to move him—I don’t think he needs to move.

Surprised we don’t hear more Ojulari buzz. That dude is a freaking monster as a pass rusher. Elite grade as a rusher, but unjustifiably bad against the run. That said, in a passing league, this dude could be Dwight Freeney. 

I don't even think Ojulari is THAT bad against the run. But yeah, it feels like the worst case realistic scenario for him is Yannick Ngakoue or Cliff Avril. But I could see him being John Abraham or Osi Umenyiora good. Then again, I'm very, very high on the guy. He's such a gifted and smart pass rusher. And he actually plays hard against the run. He's not a plus as a run defender, but he gives plenty of effort.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

I don't even think Ojulari is THAT bad against the run. But yeah, it feels like the worst case realistic scenario for him is Yannick Ngakoue or Cliff Avril. But I could see him being John Abraham or Osi Umenyiora good. Then again, I'm very, very high on the guy. He's such a gifted and smart pass rusher. And he actually plays hard against the run. He's not a plus as a run defender, but he gives plenty of effort.

He does play hard always. His pursuit and closing speed to the ball carrier is special. Dude is so slippery and makes OL look so bad. Has gotten some really good ones too. His array of rush moves are pretty much unstoppable unless you offer help. I have visions of him playing with Garrett in Cleveland & just feasting from a wide 9 opposite Myles.